PDA

View Full Version : Emergency precautions.

JJJJJ
18-12-2012, 10:28 AM
I decided to get my first ever cell phone for use in emergencies if my medic alarm can not be made to work when I change to VOIP. Mistake no. 1. I bought an LG smart phone. I managed to find out how to dial out, but didn't read the small print. I couldn't dial the number I wanted, I touch the number I want but the number next to it comes up. Then I do some more reading and I see. "People with poor eyesight should'nt use smartphones." I have 10% vision in one eye and 50% in the other. So I gave the thing to my cleaning lady.
I then bought a Telecom R203. A basic phone with push buttons. This works fine, and it has a switch on the back to auto dial emergencies. I presume it dials 111. I have turned it on and it rings a bell but I turn it off before it completes.I'rd hate to ring 111 an say I'm just testing. This phone now lives on my bedside table.
I live alone so I need rapid comunication in an emergency.
I'm not worried about dropping dead but I'rd hate to be fully conscious but unable to get out of bed.
If anyone can come up with any more ideas I'rd like to hear them.
Jack

Zara Baxter
18-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi JJJJJ,

The auto-emergency switch calls one number and sends text messages to up to four others. You set up what those numbers dial to, so you could set it to dial 111, and send text messages to your family and neighbour, for example.

If you need help setting it up, the Telecom store should be able to do it.

I really love that they brought it out here - it's been available in various forms in Australia for a while.

inphinity
18-12-2012, 10:51 AM
On a similar topic, if you're hearing-impaired, you could discuss with Deaf Aotearoa access to the 111 Txt system.

pctek
18-12-2012, 11:12 AM
"People with poor eyesight should'nt use smartphones." I have 10% vision in one eye and 50% in the other. So I gave the thing to my cleaning lady.
I then bought a Telecom R203. and it has a switch on the back to auto dial emergencies. I presume it dials 111.
Jack

My father got this.
It does dial 111. For sure. Works great.

LOL - you gave the smart phone to your cleaning lady.....She cleans extra well now right...:D

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd personally dial it and test it. Tell the people who answer 111 that you've just got a new phone and you're wanting to test to make sure because of your circumstances. Keep the call brief and to the point and they're almost always quite happy with that. Better to be safe than sorry, right!

Also, get a small UPS for your VoIP / Genius system. It'll set you back $80 but it means in a power outage it'll still stay up and working :)

mikebartnz
18-12-2012, 01:09 PM
One thing a lot probably don't know is you put a contact in your cell phone of ICE and put the number of your next of kin that way if you have an accident someone knows who to ring.

Agent_24
18-12-2012, 04:52 PM
One thing a lot probably don't know is you put a contact in your cell phone of ICE and put the number of your next of kin that way if you have an accident someone knows who to ring.

Or not, if they don't know what ICE means.

JJJJJ
18-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Well don't keep it secret! Tell us.

pcuser42
18-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Well don't keep it secret! Tell us.

ICE means In Case of Emergency. Generally anyone who finds you in distress and unable to make a call should call this number on your behalf.

The Error Guy
18-12-2012, 05:41 PM
It means "In Case of Emergency"

mikebartnz
18-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I was trying to enlighten a few.

Agent_24
18-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I was trying to enlighten a few.

I expect it worked, certainly worked on me after I thought about it. But then I figured if I didn't know what it was before now there would be others who wouldn't either.