PDA

View Full Version : Calling overseas using Skype, 2talk or G talk

gary67
18-12-2012, 08:51 AM
I want to start using my computer to call my family in England since the cost using the landline is getting too expensive, what's the best option Skype, 2talk or G talk. I intent to just use my microphone. My parents are too old to learn Skype so to make life easier I just want to be able to dial them :thanks

dugimodo
18-12-2012, 09:06 AM
I've only tried Skype myself but it works well enough. To dial a landline you have to credit your Skype account and pay local calling charges (at least last time I did it which was not recent), usually pretty cheap but it'd pay to compare them to what you pay now. Also it was a couple of years back but I found there was a noticeable delay in the conversation which made things awkward.

You say your parents are too old to skype, fair enough, but if someone could set it up for them and they have a broadband connection the calls are free so maybe it's worth a conversation. My older sister Video calls her eldest son in Aus on a regular basis via skype and loves it. A great way to stay in your families life remotely.

The Error Guy
18-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Christmas special, free 1mth premium skype (calling landlines) http://beta.skype.com/en/offers/skype-with-love/?cm_mmc=SMFB|7001_B1-_-Engagement%20-%20FSWL Give it is shot and see if it works. If it is good calling quality grab a plan and keep at it

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm a big fan of Gtalk, it's smaller, cleaner, and operates well with:
Android phones
Gmail
Google+
Other XMPP / Jabber clients

I'd definitely go that route personally :)

They likely already have a Google account (A lot of people do) so it's one less thing to sign up to.

kjaada
18-12-2012, 04:11 PM
We use VOIPCHEAP http://www.voipcheap.com/en/index.html Put 10euros in and you can call landlines almost anywhere for nothing and mobiles at a very low rate.

CliveM
18-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Skype works well to my son in Aus. Dead simple to use and the price is right.

Nomad
18-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Gtalk doesn't call to normal telephones right? 2talk does and Skype. It could be really beneficial when you can call them when they don't have their computers or smartphones (and the app) turned on. I would go with Skype myself, just b/c I know people who use Skype and they have more features that you can add eg - if you want people to really call you but you happen to be away from the internet, you can add call divert which they auto redirect the call to your landline or mobile anywhere in the world. You can also get local ph numbers in some countries so if you happen to be there for sometime it diverts to your handphone also. Cheaper than roaming ...

The most cheapest way I know is to get some of those cordless phones that run on Skype, were purchasable some yrs ago, seems to have dropped off the radar now. TM? It's wifi so at home with the Internet, this cordless phone or the size of a cellphone auto connects to the wifi router and logs into skype. So anyone in the world who calls you - you simply answer it like a normal telephone and it will be free. I do that when I go overseas, it means I have a private line to call home.

gary67
18-12-2012, 08:34 PM
They don't have a Google account and definitely not going to try and get them using skype, I just want to be able to dial their landline and not have it cost me $5 for 15 mins. Voipcheap looks like it might be a goer

mzee
18-12-2012, 10:31 PM
I use 2talk VoiP. Much cheaper than Skype (7cts minute to all landlines & Chinese mobile, free 09 calls, 21cts min to other mobiles)
It only needs a computer on at set up, after that all it needs is its own modem plugged into your router. Provides 2 lines and uses conventional phones. Kiwi owned in Albany. A local phone number costs $6 month. It has all the usual services, like call forwarding and call waiting. Only fails if the Internet is down, otherwise 100%.

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah Gtalk also calls landlines.

May be worth going 2talk as mzee mentioned, you can get plans that bundle a ton of minutes. Unlike VoIPcheap and the likes (VoIPBuster etc, all the same people), 2talk maintains high quality in their calls and don't compress the hell outta it :P

kjaada
19-12-2012, 06:35 AM
A tip for Voipcheap users,We have a friend on a big OE and when she wants to contact us she goes in to a phone box and rings us,gives us the phone box phone no and we ring her back for no charge.Worked in several countries so far.

gary67
19-12-2012, 08:33 AM
A tip for Voipcheap users,We have a friend on a big OE and when she wants to contact us she goes in to a phone box and rings us,gives us the phone box phone no and we ring her back for no charge.Worked in several countries so far.

yep going to give this a go tomorrow for my fathers birthday

kjaada
19-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I also have voipcheap (I think under another name)on my IPAD.I can not remember (75 year old brain)how I got it set up but it works
and I think I have it on my android phone.
Found it It is called Voip Mobile on the Ipad

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah as mentioned there's dozens of them, flying under marginally different names, all backed by the same people, all still using the same horribly compressed calling network...

kjaada
19-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I am lost, "horribly compressed calling network"???????
What does it matter?
I talk to people all over for NOTHING and I would not be calling most of them if I had to pay,
except my family.(and then maybe not some of them)
The conversation is as clear as u could get and the person being called is generally chuffed
to have a decent talk.AND I am relieved it cost NOTHING.
What is the problem with "horribly compressed" ?

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2012, 12:19 PM
In my experiences with them there's been quite a bit of packet loss, and it's very difficult to hear the caller at the other end. I've had my family use it for a few months contacting relatives overseas in a number of different countries. In the end, they settled for paying a small premium to 2talk for perfect quality calls

kjaada
19-12-2012, 12:51 PM
We use this app for all our calls and have never experienced packet loss (what ever that is)but we have normal telephone conversations
with friends in North America,UK,France,Ausi,NZ and Fiji.
We have not had a bill for tolls for many years.
We also only have PC,s with average specs and no upmarket "memory" or specs.

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Ah well fair enough. It can't hurt to give it a whirl, it's not like gary67 has much to lose by trying it, so might as well! :)

gary67
19-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I will report back

gary67
20-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Just called my parents at first used the microphone on my computer and then did the phone to phone thing. Both calls really clear no lag or at least no more than I usually get on the landline and best of all it was free. Although I did have to put $17 credit onto my account before it would work but that should last me forever since all my calls will be free from now on. I'm entirely happy thanks to kjaada for recommending voipcheap

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Choice! :D

gary67
21-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Yes just checked online to make sure and no toll calls made from our landline yesterday to England awesome result

kjaada
21-12-2012, 09:09 AM
There is a slight drawback in that yr credit only lasts so long,not sure on the time I think 3 months,so if you do not
make any non free calls you have to put another $17 after the 3months is up.if you want more free calls.

gary67
21-12-2012, 02:19 PM
No worries I'll get my monies worth