PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Lessons

pctek
17-12-2012, 08:56 PM
I did not know about the new sinks.

Bathroom sink - one of the annoying straight centre piece with actual sink on top (and no soap holder depressions, grrrr) was always clogging up with black slimy goo.
Endlessly I picked it out only to have it do it again with increasing frequency.

So, got husband to take take the pipe bit off.......couldn't see it as it has the stupid centre part covering it - he had to move it - I didn't know they were movable either.

And, I discover, it doesn't have an s bend trap, apparently because this is "prettier" with the straight down arrangement.
Instead it has a crazy rubbery bag inside that is sort of pinched closed at the bottom end.

Apparently this prevents the smells, like a proper s bend would, and opens up when you run the water.

Except it doesn't, it's semi glued shut because of the sludge.
Husband said you couldn't change it, as it's straight down (actually can't see why you can't put the s bend under the house - doesn't have to go at the sink end, but anyway)....that's another argument.

So.....I cut the stupid bag out.
End of problem. Sink empties beautifully.

Jen
17-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Isn't your hubby a plumber?

I think you will find your sink no longer meets sanitary building regulations...

pctek
17-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Isn't your hubby a plumber?

I think you will find your sink no longer meets sanitary building regulations...

It requires a trap.
Any trap, does not have to be a rubber bag.
An s bend under the house does just fine.
I mentioned this.....

His argument was you couldn't use an s bend at the sink end.
No.
But you can under the floor......the laundry sink has that arrangement.

wainuitech
17-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Our current bath is like that, the S Bend is under the house, the plumber said the new shower doesn't need one as the "plug" arrangement is actually the trap/S bend, it has a removable cleaning section that does the same thing. New hand basin still needs a s Bend

pctek
18-12-2012, 07:23 AM
, the plumber said the new shower doesn't need one as the "plug" arrangement is actually the trap/S bend, it has a removable cleaning section that does the same thing.

Edit: asked about that. It has a bit that keeps water there - like an s bend. This is to stop smelss coming up.
Which he said doesn't really happen unless you have a septic tank - or perhaps a major draingae problem anyway.
It's just code of practice.

Whatever.....he can put the s bend under the house.
He was going on and on about how I couldn't do this, the s bend wouldn't fit up by the sink etc....don't know why he didn't think of under - except a lot of houses you couldn't due to space limitations I guess.

Then he said he'd have to remove the pipes (up top) make more holes n the tiles and re pipe everything....took a while for us to be both getting what the other was on about....LOL.

But anyway, rubber bags??!!! What an amazingly stupid idea that was.

pctek
18-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Actually I have concluded plumbing stuff is a giant rip-off.
The prices for some of these things is crazy. (Trade and retail)
Silly pieces of plastic - just shaped plastic can cost as much as a hard drive. At least with hard drives, you get some electronics and fairly complex parts....

Son works for a certain bathroom importers, and they on-sell to plumbing suppliers, Placemakers etc....their markup is 300-500% to them.
So, add retail and you pay what?!

Also, some of those sinks, these are Italian (made in China), he broke one one day, the centre piece, in it's hollow part - it was filled with dry rice. OK, fine, not really a big deal I suppose, he was more horrified at the dead rat stuck in among the rice.

BBCmicro
18-12-2012, 09:24 AM
The black gunge seems to be caused by lack of ventilation. I didn't get the gunge when I had the normal 32mm vent pipe through the roof. During an upgrade I was persuaded to change to the flapper valve method and have been plagued with gunge ever since.

[Handbasin is on the upper floor. An air intake is supposed to be installed on the outlet side of the s-bend to prevent a rush of water from sucking out the water that normally lies in the S-bend]

pctek
18-12-2012, 11:14 AM
The black gunge seems to be caused by lack of ventilation. I didn't get the gunge when I had the normal 32mm vent pipe through the roof.
Roof? It's a 40mm pipe anyway....I had a long lecture on all this last night.....
Anyway, silly bag.....back to the works great old style method now.

PaulD
18-12-2012, 11:24 AM
The black gunge seems to be something like Didymo (rock snot) that feeds on the soaps, hand creams, shaving goo. hair etc that go down the plug hole. It doesn't seem to respond to just cleaners or bleach and needs to be cleaned off. I doubt that changing from a vent to an air admittance valve would be responsible.

Agent_24
18-12-2012, 04:42 PM
According to this: http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publish/diy/diylegal-plumbing.php

With the exception of minor work, for example, changing washers and taps, all plumbing and drainage work must be carried out by a registered plumber. This is for health reasons – an incorrect plumbing connection could allow a back-flow of polluted water into your drinking water.

Of course if you actually managed to do that, you'd have to be incredibly stupid and probably deserve whatever disease you got.

With the exception of changing washers and taps, what else qualifies as "Minor work" ?

hueybot3000
18-12-2012, 09:16 PM
And you rent right if I remember correctly? I'm sure your landlord appreciates you messing with his plumbing.

prefect
18-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Ya need the S bend. On campers the grey water tank stinks when dumping. So the s bend under the shower and sinks must be essential. On my camper shower I couldnt really use a 40mm plastic plumbing s bend so used a flexible 38mm hose and put a u bend in it. No smells and its passed its second NZMCA inspection.

Agent_24
18-12-2012, 11:17 PM
But anyway, rubber bags??!!! What an amazingly stupid idea that was.

Crappy quick fix for a crappy design. There are many products like that.

pctek
19-12-2012, 07:56 AM
And you rent right if I remember correctly? I'm sure your landlord appreciates you messing with his plumbing.

No I don't rent.

pctek
19-12-2012, 08:23 AM
You must have missed the bit where some members here helped us move into this place, we rented for only a few months then bought.
Why else would I live in Ranui??
Since moving I have removed 20 weed trees, painted the trim on the garage (it was red), painted the kitchen and dining, painted lounge and bathroom ceilings, painted over the red trim in bathroom, changed curtains, changed kitchen sink, relocated one raised garden, dug 1 new one, planted fruit trees and fruit vines, removed massive piles of rubbish - garden and miscellaneous - inc the remains of the hydroponics system under the house, planted the other garden bits in veges and herbs, added a drainage arrangement to one, replaced the toilet bowl, and now changed the bathroom sink arrangement.

And yes, we know about the s bend, he did it yesterday, after he got the 40mm one to fit, we only had a 32mm one on the day I cut the bag out.

I'd do all that to a rental??!! Hell I wouldn't even rent it if it needed all that....

gary67
19-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Ya need the S bend. On campers the grey water tank stinks when dumping. So the s bend under the shower and sinks must be essential. On my camper shower I couldnt really use a 40mm plastic plumbing s bend so used a flexible 38mm hose and put a u bend in it. No smells and its passed its second NZMCA inspection.

No you don't why not use a bottle trap instead, designed for pedestal basins as it keeps the pipework out of sight

pctek
19-12-2012, 10:55 AM
No you don't why not use a bottle trap instead, designed for pedestal basins as it keeps the pipework out of sight

Because there isn't the pipework to connect it like that.
That's what he wanted to avoid - repiping things....

hueybot3000
19-12-2012, 11:12 AM
You must have missed the bit where some members here helped us move into this place, we rented for only a few months then bought.
Why else would I live in Ranui??
Since moving I have removed 20 weed trees, painted the trim on the garage (it was red), painted the kitchen and dining, painted lounge and bathroom ceilings, painted over the red trim in bathroom, changed curtains, changed kitchen sink, relocated one raised garden, dug 1 new one, planted fruit trees and fruit vines, removed massive piles of rubbish - garden and miscellaneous - inc the remains of the hydroponics system under the house, planted the other garden bits in veges and herbs, added a drainage arrangement to one, replaced the toilet bowl, and now changed the bathroom sink arrangement.

And yes, we know about the s bend, he did it yesterday, after he got the 40mm one to fit, we only had a 32mm one on the day I cut the bag out.

I'd do all that to a rental??!! Hell I wouldn't even rent it if it needed all that....

Fair enough. Didn't mean to offend.