PDA

View Full Version : Laptop will not connect to our wifi

GameJunkie
17-12-2012, 05:59 PM
you may remember me having a thread about this a while ago, well the issue has arisen again.

before telecom had their connection issues a week or so ago, his laptop connected fine with no issues.

since the telecom f*** up, it hasnt been able to connect at all

no amount of rebooting the laptop and the router has fixed it

and i cant remember how i fixed it last time

could it be the wireless adapter in the laptop itself??, because 2 phones, 2 other laptops, a Nexus 7 and 2 have all been able to connect just fine.

surely it has to be the laptop???

GameJunkie
17-12-2012, 06:23 PM
can a mod move this to PF1??

The Error Guy
17-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I dunno if it's worth the deal but if you swap the wireless cards out with another laptop what happens? If the suspect faulty card from (A) works in another laptop and a currently working card (B) works in the currently "faulty" laptop then there is a software (driver probably) issue

I was going to write out a list of scenarios... but it got too long, anyway. If you want to do that card swap, that way you can rule out faulty hardware or software configs. If swapping cards means that for some weird reason they both work on different machines, just leave them in the other machines :p problem solved

GameJunkie
17-12-2012, 07:26 PM
just booted from a Linux Mint cd(writing this now ) on his laptop

so i can see and connect to our wifi from a linux cd but not from his laptop normally

no settings have been changed at all in our router, nor the laptop prior to this happening

wainuitech
17-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Try going into the manage wireless networks, delete the current non working connection, reboot, then try reconnecting.

GameJunkie
18-12-2012, 08:14 AM
tried that, no luck

18-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Can you actually see/detect any wifi SSID's on that laptop (via Windows). Does it try to connect then fail ??

Just to save your sanity, the easiest fix might be a USB Wifi stick.
That might just bypass the issue

Otherwise .. try disabling power save on the wifi adapter (in device manager), uninstall any 3rd party firewall products. Try plugging directly
into the router via a network cable( as a test). Try removing the WPA/wpa2 security on the router..JUST TO TEST IT ..
Uninstall any bundled wifi management software, laptops often come with that.
Download new drivers for the wifi device.
As a last resort, try & connect to a free wifi hotspot somewhere, just as a test.

mzee
18-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Looks as if you have a driver problem. It worked with the Linux driver so the hardware must be Ok. Just update the driver.

GameJunkie
19-12-2012, 04:03 PM
i've tried updating the driver, didnt work

wainuitech
19-12-2012, 04:21 PM
While this off topic, you are not alone with strange problems :) Got a laptop here, bloody stupid thing, connects OK to any other wireless stays connected for days if you want, but back at the owners house while it connects OK it drops the connection( no internet) but shows as being connected , sounds like a router problem ? BUT any other laptop or wireless device stays connected as long as you want.--- Weird.

Back on topic --- Have you tried removing the wireless security from the router and seeing if it connects with no security ?

plod
19-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Have got the correct wireless security selected.

lakewoodlady
19-12-2012, 06:02 PM
While this off topic, you are not alone with strange problems :) Got a laptop here, bloody stupid thing, connects OK to any other wireless stays connected for days if you want, but back at the owners house while it connects OK it drops the connection( no internet) but shows as being connected , sounds like a router problem ? BUT any other laptop or wireless device stays connected as long as you want.--- Weird.

Back on topic --- Have you tried removing the wireless security from the router and seeing if it connects with no security ?

+ 1 for what WT said. Also, have you tried changing the channel in the router? That worked for me once.

LL