PDA

View Full Version : CM Hyper 212 Plus

bk T
17-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Wish to add a second fan to this CPU cooler. How shall I configure the second fan, make both fans drawing air out or make it blow in the same direction as the primary fan?

Your views, please.

Cheers

Terry Porritt
17-12-2012, 04:01 PM
What do you think the air flow through the fins would be if the fans blew against one another ?

http://www.takealot.com/electronics/computer-components-1111/cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-rr-b10-212p-gp-aluminum-base,4949351

8ftmetalhaed
17-12-2012, 04:15 PM
have them both going in the same direction. Unless there's some directional air vents or some other way for air to circulate, you'll potentially have two fans pulling on the same air. With two in one direction you'll have more air pushed in one direction with better flow, in theory.

kmanz
17-12-2012, 04:15 PM
both fans in the same direction
one pushing air into the grills of the cpu cooler and the other pulling the air out of the grills and out of the case
http://blog.corsair.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Push-pull-image.png
you would get a lot more air flow if you set the fans up to help each other rather than oppose each other (see pic)
force that air through it!

SolMiester
17-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Wish to add a second fan to this CPU cooler. How shall I configure the second fan, make both fans drawing air out or make it blow in the same direction as the primary fan?

Your views, please.

Cheers

Do you really need another fan for push\pull....Are your temps high?

Terry Porritt
17-12-2012, 04:46 PM
The over-riding principle is that the heat transfer ie cooling, is by forced convection, so you want maximum air speed through/over the fins. This is achieved with both fans working, as already said, in the same direction, pushing/blowing air straight through the fins.

You certainly don't want to have the air turned through a right angle as would happen if each fan sucked or if each fan blew air out of the sides of the heat exchanger, the air velocity would be much lower.

dugimodo
18-12-2012, 09:18 AM
I was tempted to add one myself, my concern was the first fan is being speed controlled by the BIOS so how would I match the airflow on both sides. I suppose the best option is a pair of matched fans running at the same speed but I like how quiet mine is. I overclock my 3570K to 4.1 Ghz and the single fan is inaudible most of the time while keeping the CPU under 60 (creeps into the high 60's under 100% load and the fan speeds up a bit). I could add a fan controller but I don't like all the extra wiring.

One minor hassle with mine is when the BIOS is set to either balanced or quiet mode for QFan the speed at boot up is only 500RPM which is below the default warning level and sets off an alarm. Easily fixed though.

bk T
18-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Do you really need another fan for push\pull....Are your temps high?

Don't really need it. 'Normal' running at <50 deg but when playing Guildwars2 it shoots up to 65~73 deg (using hardware monitor).

Another option would be adding another case fan to transfer the heat out of the case.

pctek
18-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Another option would be adding another case fan to transfer the heat out of the case.

That would be what I'd do. As for the BIOS control - disable it.

Slankydudl
18-12-2012, 11:57 AM
You will want them to both go in the same direction unless you want less airflow and alot of noise. And as for adding another case fan, dont most cases come with all their fans atleast? I know they are usually preety crap but i dont see why you wouldnt have all your fan spaces filled. As for the bios thing id recommend a good drive bay fan controller.

bk T
18-12-2012, 12:38 PM
That would be what I'd do. As for the BIOS control - disable it.

Disabling the fan control in BIOS, does it mean that the fan will be spinning at max at all times?