PDA

View Full Version : PC repairs

pctek
17-12-2012, 10:27 AM
http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/profile/a-procession-out-of-recession-in-helensville

Interesting.

I'd agree with him. It's why I gave up.

Not so sure about his cloud reasoning though......

gary67
17-12-2012, 10:54 AM
makes perfect sense to me what he says, a couple of techs I know in Nelson don't really do the home computer thing anymore either

The Error Guy
17-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Also the reason I never made any attempt to enter that industry (be it as an employee or god forbid, attempting to start my own business (which would have been a disaster :D ) I see enough friends and family's doing nothing about their PC's to know that consumers aren't interested either. A better position to be in is phone/tablet repairs and, if you could somehow penetrate the market, advice and/or sale of decent OEM hardware.

So many models to choose from these days and so many chain stores hawking off cruddy over priced material it would be good to see a "mainstream" consumer orientated version of PB Tech open a few stores. Guide customers to what they really want and stock 4-5 models from a few brands from the budget --> performance range.

17-12-2012, 01:08 PM
There is a very definite limit of how much home users are willing to pay. Its not very much.
Corporates running servers usually know that IT support isnt cheap & wont argue or 'um & ahh' over a 2hour charge.
Home PC's I often have to charge less than actual time taken, just to get the work.

Home PC's are often a mess: ie Win in a hell of a state: sometimes requiring multiple faults to be fixed before the original small job can be tackled : eg requiring removal of malware before say installing a printer. Home users often arnt willing to pay for
all this, especially when a new Laptop(OK spec's) can often be bought for around $600 .

Less & less home user repairs can realistically be done onsite (just a time issue) , even a simple install of Vista SP1 can take over an hour to run through on many underpowered home PC's. Installing a new hard drive can take hours to clone all their data(gig's of music files & movies etc)
Adding to the issue are the cowboys advertising any repair for $60 - $100 + parts.

Unfortunately, we still do home PC repairs, we need the work.

Bobh
17-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I would hope that there would always be Technicians available to repair home computers. Some people with home computers do not have a clue what to do when things go wrong and they need help. Every business has their bread and butter which keeps them in business. Some computer repair firms may well prefer to stick to a niche market and leave other work for other repair shops to handle.