View Full Version : ESSET Nod32 & Esset Smart Security

bk T
17-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Are they the same thing or different?

Cheers

pctek
17-12-2012, 10:23 AM
One is AV only.
The other is a "suite" and includes the firewall.
I wouldn't bother with the firewall.

bk T
17-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks.

CYaBro
17-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Smart Security also has parental controls built in and when V6 is released it will also have some anti-theft stuff.

8ftmetalhaed
17-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I've got smart security and love it. It certainly does the job I want it to.

17-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Id avoid all security suites & just go with the more basic AV .
The basic AV is often more reliable, & wont cause slowdowns as some Suites can do.

Security Suites are generally just uneeded clutter, bells whistles & flashing lights to try & impress the masses.
just my opinion :-)

8ftmetalhaed
17-12-2012, 04:17 PM
I found the network connection viewer to be quite handy myself. Plus the general allowance rules of the firewall and such. I don't have many, if any, issues with slowdown either.

The Error Guy
17-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Because It's just me myself and I on my machine I don't see the point in anything other than MSSE. IMO Even If you have a family with kids there's no huge benefit to having AV programs. Although there's bound to be some malware, it's nothing a free suite can't fix. Usually it's not viruses but all sorts of crapware that just clog up and slow down the Machines, a slow and painful death as opposed to a targeted assault by a virus.

That being said, features that 8ft mentioned are useful, especially the connection manager type things.

wainuitech
17-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Because It's just me myself and I on my machine I don't see the point in anything other than MSSE. IMO Even If you have a family with kids there's no huge benefit to having AV programs. Although there's bound to be some malware, it's nothing a free suite can't fix. Usually it's not viruses but all sorts of crapware that just clog up and slow down the Machines, a slow and painful death as opposed to a targeted assault by a virus.

That being said, features that 8ft mentioned are useful, especially the connection manager type things. No AV -- you kidding or what ?

See it weekly, people who have AV's that's cant do the job and their PC's are infected. AVG, Avast, Some With MSSE.

Any good AV will stop most infections to start with. Don't know how many times seen Nod32 stop a download because there is a possibility of some rouge installer -OK my be a false positive, but rather have that than get an infection /malware.

You only have to look at some posts here in PF1 - comments like "where did that toolbar", or some other item suddenly appear from.

18-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I wouldnt assume that someone couldnt safely run a PC without AV running in the background.
No AV is perfectly fine, if
IF you really know what youre doing
IF you never go to dodgy sites
IF its just a home PC, single user (no kids)
IF you really dont care if you end up wiping & reloading

Malware gets through EVERY AV program.
AV program's cant protect from user stupidity.
Ive seen PLENTY of NOD32 pc's with malware infections (we're a reseller). In fact Ive seen some obviously infected files
that NOD32 cant detect any malware on, even when I specifically scan that file.
to imply that a AV program is a panacea for your malware woes is just ......

Zara Baxter
18-12-2012, 10:20 AM
While I'd mostly agree with you, 1101, the current data suggests that 80% of malware infections come from legitimate sites - whether via compromised advertising or from very small sites lacking the skills and expertise to close exploits (places such as your local tennis club website, for example.)

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Yeah I'm with Zara and wainuitech. The theory is you should be OK. The reality is usually far from that.

I'm the same, NOD32 has caught downloads of even legitimate things before, while surfing in Chrome. It happens. I'd rather pay $100 a year whatever and have my wife and I covered than take the risk. It's not exactly expensive..

On top of that, NOD32 picks up a lot more in my experience than MSSE, even things that it hasn't yet downloaded a signature for. I had MSSE on my fathers machine, it was running horribly. Replaced it with NOD32, instantly picks up just over a dozen things, and ran faster as soon as MSSE was gone (Let alone after removing the actual *issues*).

berryb
22-12-2012, 07:56 PM
PC the other day had latest AVG installed and up to date. Did a full detail scan and found no infections. Scanned with ESET and found 72 infections.

wainuitech
22-12-2012, 10:42 PM
PC the other day had latest AVG installed and up to date. Did a full detail scan and found no infections. Scanned with ESET and found 72 infections. That speaks volumes. Seen AVG fail many times, not only with infections, but it also slows PC's down quite a bit.