PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin

Nick G
16-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know where one can buy gelatin that contains no animal products in Christchurch? My sister is a vegetarian, and won't eat most gelatin, but still like trifle at Christmas. Normally we've been able to get some at Countdown, but it looks like they don't have any anymore.

Zippity
16-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Is there such a thing?

Alternatives to gelatin include non-animal gel sources such as agar-agar (a seaweed), carrageenan, pectin, konjak, and guar gum.

Nick G
16-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Yikes! What was I thinking when I posted that :confused:

What I actually meant was Jelly, for the top of the trifle. A Jelly without animal products.

Zippity
16-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Well that is a whole different ball game :)

Nick G
16-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Well that is a whole different ball game :)
Yes :)
Still have no idea exactly what I was thinking, brain was obviously not switched on :D

plod
16-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Ask your sister to provide the trifle, problem solved

Nick G
16-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Ask your sister to provide the trifle, problem solved
She still lives at home, barely older than me :)
She doesn't know of any more either, so I'm asking on here just on the off chance someone knows.

WalOne
16-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Yes :)
Still have no idea exactly what I was thinking, brain was obviously not switched on :D

Sorry Nick, I was just waiting for an opportunity like this :D

John H
16-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Try Piko Wholefoods or Revolution Food Company in ChCh. Jelly (apart from Irish Moss) doesn't show up in their online product lists, but they will know how to get it I would think if you made contact with them.

plod
16-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Greggs have discontinued their version due to lack of sales. http://www.vegetarian.org.nz/content/2011/04/greggs-jelly-discontinued/
Try here http://www.huckleberryfarms.co.nz/shop/Baking+%26+Cooking/Mixes/Dessert+Mixes/Just+Wholefoods+Strawberry+Vegetarian+Jelly+85g.ht ml

John H
16-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Actually, come to think of it, I have never heard of jelly in a trifle. Do you mean a blancmange perhaps?

Erayd
16-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Actually, come to think of it, I have never heard of jelly in a trifle. Do you mean a blancmange perhaps?He probably does mean a trifle - most recipes I've seen contain jelly-soaked sponge.

Nick G
16-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Sorry Nick, I was just waiting for an opportunity like this :D
:lol: :D

Was waiting for someone to quote that

John H
16-12-2012, 08:00 PM
He probably does mean a trifle - most recipes I've seen contain jelly-soaked sponge.

Sherry soaked sponge in trifles I have heard of (and eaten many), but not "jelly-soaked"...

lakewoodlady
16-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Sherry soaked sponge in trifles I have heard of (and eaten many), but not "jelly-soaked"...

Place sponge cake in a bowl
Put in one tin of watties mixed fruit salad (leave out about half the syrup)
Pour over the mix with some Sherry, around half a cupful.
Pour over some Custard, the ready made in a packet is fine, about one cupful.
Add whipped cream to cover it.
Top it off with some chopped strawberries
Done! No gelatin in that recipe!

LL

R2x1
16-12-2012, 09:27 PM
He probably does mean a trifle - most recipes I've seen contain jelly-soaked sponge.
With Vegemite I trust.

Zippity
16-12-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm with LL on this.

No stinkin' jelly in any of my trifles :) :)

John H
16-12-2012, 10:22 PM
I have looked at a heap of trifle recipes and there is no jelly in any of them. Maybe if you put fruit in your trifle you could jellify that layer, but I can't see why you would do that.

Perhaps this is just a family variant... Like the story about the family that always cut the knuckle off the roast and cooked it alongside the main piece of meat...

Erayd
16-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Perhaps this is just a family variant... Like the story about the family that always cut the knuckle off the roast and cooked it alongside the main piece of meat...That's actually quite possible... my exposure to trifles has largely been family things at Christmas / new year, so...

Zippity
16-12-2012, 10:58 PM
There are plenty of trifle recipes that call for jelly - yuk! :)

The Error Guy
16-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I have had trifles with and without. I prefer sherry (lots of it :D ) on the sponge although a "kid friendly" version (as it's known in our old handwritten cookbook) lists jelly as a subsitute. Can be used in conjunction with the sherry as a flavouring but it won't hold since the alcohol will "melt" the jelly.

Going to make a wicked trifle for xmas ;)

R2x1
16-12-2012, 11:13 PM
For a xmas trifle you need old cake and alchohol.
If you have eaten cake during the past year, then that is already squared away. Don't trifle with sherry, get some good vodka and drink copiously. Engage in Cossack dancing to mix with old cake. Allow to mature while you sleep. No dishes to wash !

gary67
17-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Jelly goes on before the custard followed by the whipped cream, its the only way

lakewoodlady
17-12-2012, 09:08 AM
My mum in law made a very nice trifle using ginger sponge cake, lots of sherry, a tin of mandarins (leave out the syrup) custard, and whipped cream on top with grated chocolate on. Too yummy!

LL

John H
17-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Jelly goes on before the custard followed by the whipped cream, its the only way

Sorry Gary, and this may be culturally insensitive of me, but <puke>....

John H
17-12-2012, 10:06 AM
My mum in law made a very nice trifle using ginger sponge cake, lots of sherry, a tin of mandarins (leave out the syrup) custard, and whipped cream on top with grated chocolate on. Too yummy!

LL

Now that is a trifle worthy of the name... All you can do after a generous helping of that is to have a wee snooze...

gary67
17-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Raspberry sponge roll to line the bowl sherry, fruit salad,jelly with mandarins mixed in it, custard, cream. Perfection personified

dugimodo
17-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Sounds like Trifle is more of a gneral desert category rather than a particular recipe. My dear old mother despised sherry so she made her own version without it.
Sponge on the bottom, with some fruit juice - often pineapple or some of the juice from tinned fruit
A layer of custard
Topped with lots of whipped cream and fruit pieces.

For me personally custard and cream is perfection and the rest is padding.

Zippity
17-12-2012, 12:26 PM
For me personally custard and cream is perfection and the rest is pUdding.

Fixed that for you :)

kenj
17-12-2012, 01:19 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/8089677/Recipe-Vegetarian-roast-of-nuts

This may interest the vego's

Ken :thumbs:

Nick G
23-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Well, after much thought, it has been decided that that trifle this year will not be vegetarian.

Thanks for the ideas though guys.

Zippity
23-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Well, after much thought, it has been decided that that trifle this year will not be vegetarian.

Thanks for the ideas though guys.

A win for sherry, and logic :) :)