PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Taskbar

B.M.
16-12-2012, 02:05 PM
There is an annoying Taskbar that comes and goes from the bottom of my screen whilst on the Internet. :(

I suspect it may have come with the latest Firefox Update but Iím only guessing there.

Anyway, I want rid of the sod regardless of where it came from but canít find a way to kill it.

Anyone else had this problem and better still got a cure for it. :)

It looks like attachment.

:thanks

Slankydudl
16-12-2012, 02:35 PM
From the attachment it looks just like a part of the website... Perhaps a larger image will give it some kind of context.

kjaada
16-12-2012, 02:47 PM
From investigation it appears to me to be something to do with W7 Is W7 your OS?

Agent_24
16-12-2012, 03:17 PM
From investigation it appears to me to be something to do with W7 Is W7 your OS?

That screenshot clearly shows Windows XP...

Like Slankydudl said it looks like part of the browser\webpage. Maybe you have some adware that overlays it on what you're viewing? A bigger area showing more detail would be good.

B.M.
16-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Ok the OS is XP SP2 and the taskbar comes and goes on various websites.

Now the Taskbar Iím talking about sits just above the Quicklaunch Taskbar and the messages changes as though it is trying to follow what I'm browsing.

Ahhhh, further clue. Tracing where it is trying to take me it seems it might be a search engine by the name of Contenko?

Where did that come from????? :eek:

Now to get rid of it.

Off to Google. :annoyed:

Hmmmm, looks tricky, something about Yontoo layers and its removal can stuff everything. :mad:

Agent_24
16-12-2012, 03:34 PM
With the names of "Contenko" or "Yontoo" it definitely sounds like some kind of adware crap.

wainuitech
16-12-2012, 04:15 PM
See if this helps, download and run Adwcleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/) Its standalone, click on search, a log will pop up, ignore that if you want, then click on Delete, it will run through and remove anything it finds.

You have adware from someplace, doing a google search, found the site and Nod32 went nuts blocking the installer:

Terry Porritt
16-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Sneaky crapware so-called search engines seem to be on the increase. I had Claro sneak up on me via some freeware (I think).

It took a bit of stern action to get rid of it. I also ran Combofix.exe which found some crafty entries had been put into Firefox's prefs.js and users.js which I edited out.

B.M.
16-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Well, I’ve got rid of it for now anyway. :)

For what it’s worth it seems that Contenko and Yontoo are one and the same or closely related. Contenko is hard to find but Yontoo Layers Runtime 1.10.01 appears in the installed programmes list.

Soooooo, I got Revo Uninstaller to deal with that, but it was still in Firefox as an Add-On so I uninstalled it from there too and all seems OK.

I did get a warning that Yontoo was shared by many programmes and removing it would be the death of them too, but time will tell.

So thanks all for your input I’ll let you know if s..t happens. :D

I’d love to know where the sneaky sod came from though. I read some references to Facebook but I’m not a member of that, and have never been near it so it wasn’t there.

:thanks

Slankydudl
16-12-2012, 06:46 PM
That while thing about it stuffing other programs if you delete it is just to stop people from deleting it.

B.M.
16-12-2012, 07:31 PM
That while thing about it stuffing other programs if you delete it is just to stop people from deleting it.

Yeah, thatís what I figured so I took the punt and all good so far. ;)

mikebartnz
16-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Sometimes that can be true though.

Agent_24
16-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Any program that requires adware to run is not worth installing.

Slankydudl
16-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Any program that requires adware to run is not worth installing.

+1