PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to beta test my latest project?

pcuser42
15-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I've just finished developing a new website for my girlfriend's business and I'm now beta testing it, anyone want to have a crack :p

http://efbeta.nzrailphotos.co.nz/

Some previous suggestions have already been implemented but there's always bound to be something that needs improving :)

Also need someone to beta test the management system, PM me for the details inc. password.

R2x1
15-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Spelling needs a bit of polishing up ;)

plod
15-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Im getting a box over some of your images in IE, although fine in chrome. And yeah get your spell check sorted...

Digby
15-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Checked it out a bit.

Is it a rail way site or a florist ?

If it is a florist shop I wonder if black is a good background colour, its a bit heavy imho

Is it going to be an advertising site? or is she going to sell on line?

Frank_sumbody
15-12-2012, 11:19 AM
umm can you do black font on white, for those who dont want too read white on black and do a quick exit from any web site like that. On one of my web site pages I offer a black page for kinky people.

pcuser42
15-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Spelling needs a bit of polishing up ;)

Some of the pages haven't got content yet so I just left the Latin placeholder :p

Florist, but the site is being hosted on my site temporarily.

If it is a florist shop I wonder if black is a good background colour, its a bit heavy imho

White text on a black background matches the business's colour scheme.

Is it going to be an advertising site? or is she going to sell on line?

She'll be selling online. I haven't added PayPal buttons yet.

icow
15-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Checked it out a bit.

Domain is probably being used just to test the site.

kahawai chaser
15-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Look into what your perceived online competitors (e.g. roses are red (http://www.rosesarered.co.nz/)) are doing to see how they compare in terms of userability, design, colour, customer reach, etc. I agree with Digby, i.e. is it intended as an online direct sales or a info site, affiliate site, etc.

Digby
15-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Good idea Kahawai

Check out some American online florist sites.
There are some very big ones.
They will know what they are doing colour wise.

Black is just not flowers to me.
Maybe she needs to change the colour of her shop!

Frank_sumbody
15-12-2012, 11:45 AM
By the way I see above someone said you have spelling mistakes. I did not get that far due to the fact I suffer from black page phobia

Google does not like spelling mistakes, they use the logic if there is spelling mistakes, the page will be rubbish, so they will not rank the web page so high on the search list.

always double check spelling before uploading the pages.

WalOne
15-12-2012, 11:53 AM
1) The scrollwork needs to be more subdued. As it is, I think it conflicts with the text for attention. I would make it not as heavy.

2) I would recommend giving thought to different fonts. The existing Times Roman is too dated and is not a good look against a sombre funereal black. A traditional Roman style (not TR)or classical copperplate will look good for the headings, matched with a sans serif font such as Century Gothic or Verdana for the text body. Take care to balance the weight of the heading vs text vs graphics and don't be scared of blank space.

3) Watch the use of colour. The overall "feel" is conservative, so keep to classical colours and contrasts. Use a deep but bright blue or red.

4) Spelling needs a bit of work: "procuct" (3 places), and "coursage" is another.

Hope this is not too subjective, and that it helps. Good luck.

:thumbs:

Digby
15-12-2012, 12:02 PM
It would be good if more of us put up our websites for suggestions - the power of the crowd/cloud and also to keep up with the latest trends etc.

(I put mine up last week and got lots of good ideas)

pcuser42
15-12-2012, 12:19 PM
2) I would recommend giving thought to different fonts. The existing Times Roman is too dated and is not a good look against a sombre funereal black. A traditional Roman style (not TR)or classical copperplate will look good for the headings, matched with a sans serif font such as Century Gothic or Verdana for the text body. Take care to balance the weight of the heading vs text vs graphics and don't be scared of blank space.

I'm pretty sure Times New Roman isn't the default font, it should be a sans-serif font...

body {
font-family: Cambria, sans-serif;
}

4) Spelling needs a bit of work: "procuct" (3 places), and "coursage" is another.

Whoops :p lucky that was caught before the page went live :D

EDIT: not too worried about the spelling in the sample products as they won't be there when the website goes live, it'll be real things.

wainuitech
15-12-2012, 12:34 PM
OK what language is it in ?? The home page is certainly not English.

Screen shot home page:

pcuser42
15-12-2012, 12:39 PM
OK what language is it in ?? The home page is certainly not English.Screen shot home page: 4573 Latin. There's no real content for the home page yet so it's still the dummy text :p

johcar
15-12-2012, 01:17 PM
The home page (and others) looks very unbalanced with the body-text going all the way to the right hand side of the page - I would suggest mirror the width of the left hand menu and leave that space on the right blank. As WalOne suggests, don't be afraid of blank space. It makes the site easier to read.

Also I have to agree with the comments about colour. Great if you're in the undertaking business, but black is not appropriate for a florist.

Interesting image tool you have used. The "x" at the top right of the image is a full-screen tool. Unfortunately is positioned in the same place and, at first glance looks like, the 'x' you would normally click to close the image. This might confuse users of the site...

KarameaDave
15-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Ego quasi colourem conprehendimus

Digby
15-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I only know three bits of Latin or Roman.

Friends Romans and countrymen lend me your ears.
Is that you Brutus
And
Up Pompeii

mikebartnz
15-12-2012, 02:18 PM
White on black is horrible.

WalOne
15-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure Times New Roman isn't the default font, it should be a sans-serif font...

body {
font-family: Cambria, sans-serif;
}

Cambria is definitely a Serif font, so I can't even start to guess why it's called sans-serif. It looks very similar to TR excepting the serifs are a bit smaller, which is why I called it that. Maybe it's an iSerif ;)

Check out Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambria_%28typeface%29)

Going back to an appropriate font for the heading, try this Sanford font (http://webdesignledger.com/freebies/30-extremely-elegant-serif-fonts). It'll be set off nicely with a true sans serif font such as Century Gothic.

I agree with Johcar's comment about the mirror margins, and I would add one thing further to that: don't be tempted, and justify right (like a book). If it looks too much like a book (i.e. hard work), people can switch off no matter how good or informative the content, and just read no further.

Cheers

:thumbs:

Disco_Dan
15-12-2012, 02:42 PM
You may want to correct this...

Click on the + sign to expand "balloons" then click on "I love you" and the page always displays like this (on my machine anyway). I literally just clicked through the website looking for little glitches like that. That was first one I found.

pcuser42
15-12-2012, 03:26 PM
You may want to correct this...

Click on the + sign to expand "balloons" then click on "I love you" and the page always displays like this (on my machine anyway). I literally just clicked through the website looking for little glitches like that. That was first one I found.

I'm aware of that issue, I just haven't figured out how to fix it :p

pcuser42
15-12-2012, 03:28 PM
On the subject of the colour scheme, I originally created it like that to match the business card the florist already has, which looks like this:

So if white-on-black isn't suitable, what's a good way to match with the business card while still looking good?

I'll experiment with fonts, that one wasn't really meant to be permanent anyway.

WalOne
15-12-2012, 03:31 PM
pcuser42, is it wise posting that detailed image?

I've alerted a mod for you.

pcuser42
15-12-2012, 03:41 PM
pcuser42, is it wise posting that detailed image?

I've alerted a mod for you.

I would imagine so, that's the shop details which is already on their existing website...

Digby
15-12-2012, 03:49 PM
As I said before.
She should change her shop from black and change her cards from black.

Black is for Warez site and the All Blacks etc.

WalOne
15-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Perhaps I'm too cautious, but it's not something I would do.

Digby
15-12-2012, 04:20 PM
As an amateur marketer, I am pretty sure that changing a flower shop from black to any colour would be a positive move for sales.

(But of course it will cost some money)

kahawai chaser
15-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Maybe use Google Images (http://www.google.co.nz/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=513&q=FLORIST+LOGOS&oq=FLORIST+LOGOS&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.2590.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0. 0...1ac.lDG3ZVBK4BY#hl=en&tbo=d&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=FLORIST+LOGOS+NZ&oq=FLORIST+LOGOS+NZ&gs_l=img.3...302396.302954.0.303860.3.3.0.0.0.0.35 5.630.0j2j0j1.3.0...0.0...1c.1.1bE0tNOioEs&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.aGc&fp=25e4f526d71dcad2&bpcl=39967673&biw=1024&bih=513) to compare and get ideas for florist logos. I see there is empahsis on font size and styling type. You may also want a favicon/url icon to match.

coldot
15-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Have you checked what it looks like in different screen resolutions?
Not that you need more votes against black - but I don't like all black background Maybe I would tell my relations to shop there for my funeral flowers, but I can't see wedding planners browsing there in droves. How about lots of flower images to break up (overpower?) the black?
Is the rest of the street black or does the shop stand out as being black? Or isn't the shop ALL black? Maybe a black shop with lots of colourful flowers and a pretty proprietress takes the customers' attention off the black.

Jen
15-12-2012, 08:18 PM
So if white-on-black isn't suitable, what's a good way to match with the business card while still looking good?You could do the reverse on the website - white background, black graphics. Other colours such as the pink, teal and grey can be used for accent styling. That way it still ties in with the business branding look, but is more web-friendly.

Oh, how many people order a live goose for $49.99 as a wedding gift?!

The Error Guy
15-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Right, I'm going to throw my 2c in as a designer (or wanna be designer since I don't have a degree yet :D) I'm not sure on the actual performance/functionality since I think others have covered that pretty good however my photoshop senses are being blasted into yesteryear with that black bg with white text. I know that the black is her colour scheme for the store but what needs to happen is more of a structured layout and style.

See here what RED CHILLI have done with their site, 4577

Notice the use of grey to offset the dark black. Large areas of black are not good (in general large colour fields are not good) so try to break text fields with boxes or interesting patterns. Look at the Metro Design guidelines. They are good with working with type and colour. Use things like orange or grey/whites for buttons and highlights rather than plain B&W since it's very hard on the eyes. Even in primarily B&W design I'll use a dark grey or very light grey instead of pure blacks and white.

Fonts, use something sans serif! Roboto is actually good (get it from google) and it comes with various weights. CSS3 allows for font implementations (as does HTML 5 I believe)

Here's some more inspirations, all black websites broken with colour that is very important. Also, off white sans serif for the font!

I think for it to be really nice you should break away from that 1024x768 centre column design, make it a widescreen spread? Might not work out since there are still are lot of 4:3 monitors likely to visit a florist. Also, what makes a nice design is clear navigation. Yours isn't too bad although when in "all products" and a thumbnail image is selected I get a nice little full screen image.... trying to use arrow keys to navigate through the products just reloads the current image. If possible allow customers to browse though that image slider :)

Anyway, much to say on the subject of design. I have lost my train of thought (no rail pun intended) So to avoid a ramble I'll give up and let you work through it. On 2nd reading it seems many have said the same as me :p hopefully there is some stuff of use.

pcuser42
16-12-2012, 10:03 AM
*bump* :banana

I've made a few little tweaks here and there, no background change yet but I think I might add a grey pattern to break up the black. Also no change to the nonsense products :banana

when in "all products" and a thumbnail image is selected I get a nice little full screen image.... trying to use arrow keys to navigate through the products just reloads the current image. If possible allow customers to browse though that image slider

Done :)

Digby
16-12-2012, 11:39 AM
OP
Have you spoken to your friend re her black windowed flower shop?
Does she think a black flower shop is really a good idea?

jwil1
16-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Not enough colour and *way* too much black (which others have said). You also want to show lots more pictures as you want to engage the customer's visual sense. Make the home page primarily visual not text - this turns people off.

Nick G
16-12-2012, 01:06 PM

I got this when viewing it - started off a small windows but enlarged when I scrolled down.

Jen
16-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I actually like the black colour scheme with pink and teal accents on the business card, as it looks slightly goth/medieval which fits in with the "Enchanted" name.

What about losing the black sides and just keep that to the top and bottom sections? You could do a light grey & white scroll motif (like you have) down each side instead. Add more pink and teal too.

pcuser42
16-12-2012, 02:13 PM

I got this when viewing it - started off a small windows but enlarged when I scrolled down.

What's your screen resolution? At 1024 pixels wide and less it should stretch all the way to the right but any wider and it should be centred, not a mix of the two...

Nick G
16-12-2012, 02:31 PM
What's your screen resolution? At 1024 pixels wide and less it should stretch all the way to the right but any wider and it should be centred, not a mix of the two...
1366 x 768

Digby
16-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Re the black - if it is aimed at the gothic market then I suppose black is good.

Agent_24
16-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I actually like the black colour scheme with pink and teal accents on the business card, as it looks slightly goth/medieval which fits in with the "Enchanted" name.

Needs more polish to look like a professional business website though I think. As is, it kinda looks more like a bad emo blog.

pcuser42
16-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Re the black - if it is aimed at the gothic market then I suppose black is good.

We're thinking about better ways to get the colour scheme on the website - one idea is to have just the header with a black background and the rest in white.

pctek
16-12-2012, 03:57 PM
I've just finished developing a new website for my girlfriend's business and I'm now beta testing it

http://efbeta.nzrailphotos.co.nz/

Bird
Despite being a florist, we also sell birds
$49.99
Category: Gifts
Occasion: Wedding

I love it! I want to order a bird!

WalOne
16-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Bird
$49.99
Category: Gifts
Occasion: Wedding

I love it! I want to order a bird!

pctek: you know the rules. Only if you're getting married :lol:

WalOne
16-12-2012, 05:01 PM

@pcuser42: if this sentence is to be included, the words could stand betterment. "despite being a florist" could be seen to be negative or apologetic. "we also sell" can indicate a departure from the core business so buyer be warned. FWIW, and not meant to be nitpicking. :)

pcuser42
16-12-2012, 05:31 PM
@pcuser42: if this sentence is to be included, the words could stand betterment. "despite being a florist" could be seen to be negative or apologetic. "we also sell" can indicate a departure from the core business so buyer be warned. FWIW, and not meant to be nitpicking. :) I just made up words, and none of those are real products :p

The Error Guy
16-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Aha, Now that's a much much better website my friend! Nothing to really pick at as far as everything goes with what I mentioned. That pattern works well, as well as the grey box + font.

Only things I notice now are that when browsing your nice scrolling gallery (good fix) sometimes smaller images cause the text to squish up, just something to be aware of. Also in other cases the close/navigation button affect the layout of the text. If you flick through you'll see what I mean.

The only other thing I'd look at tidying up eventually is the presentation of the gallery, not sure about the black border boxes, still they aren't bad but could be improved.

That new site is a *massive* improvement over the other one, so I'll call that a pass. The only thing that still stings a bit is the store name and logo in pink/green, I'd recommend doing something about that. Right now I'm a big fan of minimalism, so I just had a quick flick through my fonts library and grabbed this, although not perfect, it's just an idea about how the name could look. Check out dafont.com for some great free fonts with your missus to choose one you think is appropriate. If you are using a custom font there, best to render it as a .png rather than as text in the browser since you don't want non CSS3 compliant machines mucking that up

Oh and the font I used is called metro in case you wished to use it

pcuser42
16-12-2012, 06:44 PM
The header wasn't meant to be final anyway so it's good to have some feedback on that :) I've also noticed the current width of each product tile is great for large screens like mine but nothing else, so I'll change that to something a bit more square.

mikebartnz
16-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I would suggest she got her own domain name as a Hotmail account doesn't look at all professional.
Definitely a lot easier on the eye.

pcuser42
16-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I would suggest she got her own domain name as a Hotmail account doesn't look at all professional.

That'll be sorted out once the website goes live - the existing host (Vistaprint) won't play with Google Apps.

Jen
16-12-2012, 08:25 PM
This page http://efbeta.nzrailphotos.co.nz/products/flowers/fresh-cut-flowers/ has some weird vertical scroll thingy happening. Basically, it won't let you scroll down.

I am not too sure about + and - menu expander/minimiser. What about a pink or green icon? An open or closed flower is an idea but probably is over the top. :p

I really like your scroll background effect.

mikebartnz
16-12-2012, 08:52 PM
This page http://efbeta.nzrailphotos.co.nz/products/flowers/fresh-cut-flowers/ has some weird vertical scroll thingy happening. Basically, it won't let you scroll down.
It will if you go slowly but that is very weird.