PDA

View Full Version : drivers

12-11-2001, 11:03 PM
gidday again,

this is my second posting tonight, its about drivers, what are they, what do they do and how can i get them and use them to update and make my system run better and faster?

12-11-2001, 11:56 PM
Drivers are pieces of software that enable your hardware to interact properly with your operating system.
Every piece of hardware on your system will require a driver to work properly. Manufacturers of hardware supply drivers for the hardware they produce. Different drivers can be written for different operating systems. i.e Take your video/graphics card for example, A different driver will be available for your card to run on W95,W98,WME,WinNT,Linux etc. So it is very important to ensure you install the correct driver for your particular operating system.
Go to the manufacturers website and do a search for a driver for the hardware you want to run. Most operating systems will install a generic driver for your hardware when it detects it upon installation, or the software you install with your hardware eg. a printer, will install the correct drivers automatically. Every now and again the hardware manufacturer will produce updated drivers for their products that you can download from their websites. It is a good idea to check the sites every now and again to stay up to date.
If you want to find out which driver is installed for a particular piece of hardware go to control panel>system>Device manager and right click on a piece of harware slect properties and then the driver tab this will tell you what version of the driver is currently installed. Then check the website for a newer one. Be very careful to read any instructions for installing drivers as some have to be uninstalled before the new one can be installed. The last thing you want is to have a piece of hardware not working because of a driver conflict. My best advice is 'If it aint broken don't fix it'
Hope this helps.