PDA

View Full Version : Windows Defender Automatic Update

bk T
14-12-2012, 03:01 PM
My Win8's Widnows Defender does not update automatically, how do I turn it ON?

In Win7, MS SE updates automatically.

pctek
14-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Don't bother, it's not worth the effort.

14-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Do bother.
On Win8, Windefender is actually MSSE (sort of), not the Defender of old..(stupid MS renaming products)
so unless you want to pay for a better AV ...

FYI
I have seen a new Win8 PC that had McAffe preloaded. In this preload they had somehow managed to really screw up Defender so that it would no longer work, service wouldnt run. So I put Nod on it .....

bk T
14-12-2012, 04:29 PM
:confused:Are you saying that Win 8's Window Defender (MS Security Essentials) is useless? I thought most of the members here are recommending MSSE as the best FREE AV? :confused:

If that's the case, which free AV is recommended?

wainuitech
14-12-2012, 04:38 PM
MS Security Essentials is fine for a FREE antivirus, BUT there are better ones available, (Nod32 for example) but they cost.

Nod will out perform MS Security Essentials, Nod has a better detection rate, also is less system resource hungry, but Its get what you pay for I guess ;)

wainuitech
14-12-2012, 04:55 PM
If you don't have any other AV on the system, then you can try this, may or may not work:

Open a admin cmd prompt (Win + X, then Command Prompt (Admin)) Type: sfc /scannow

bk T
14-12-2012, 05:10 PM
I do have Windows Defender (similar window as MS Security Essentials except the name) turned ON but it doesn't update automatically; it's tied to Windows Update and I don't want to turn ON Windows auto update.
Is there a way to turn iit ON?