PDA

View Full Version : Breadmakers

Nomad
14-12-2012, 12:47 PM
We just got one off Flybuys. Questions.

1. Can we use the normal recipes or do they have to be breadmaker recipes or at least modified?
2. Where does one get things like kibble wheat and buckwheat - health/organic shops? Could not find them at my local Countdown.

We made the first successful white bread, I find it better than the $1.50 stuff at the supermarket, not that much cheaper but somewhat cheaper than the $3.50 loafs like Ploughmans. Apart from the hole on the bottom of the loaf :lol: but it's easy to use on a regular basis.

Would anyone have a recipe for multigrain or linseed type breads (ie Vogel or Burgen style).

:thanks:

Nick G
14-12-2012, 01:26 PM
You can get the kibbled wheat and stuff at places like Bin Inn, the bulk bin food shops.
Got a great recipe for a multigrain bread, I'll post it when I find it :)

Trev
14-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Nomad, a little research on google will get you results.
:)

R2x1
14-12-2012, 01:52 PM
You can get Edmonds Multigrain Bread Mix and also Healtheries Crushed Linseed from New World. The recipe on the Edmonds pack is close to right. Leave out 30 gr of the Edmonds and put in 30 gr of Linseed if you wish.Use Edmonds Yellow top yeast, if you use the red-top add 50% more yeast than the recipe states. Add 20 mL of cooking oil to enhance the crust.

pctek
14-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Have a look here:
http://mybreadmix.co.nz/index.php

All sorts of stuff.
If you stick to the normal flour, 25kg is cheap as dirt. Auckland shipping is only $4 too.

I had a breadmaker, went off it after a while, found it easy enough to do by hand. And I could make various shapes, rolls and whatever also.
With the 25kg flour, it does work out cheaper, I had it at 70c a loaf at one point, although if you then add bits and pieces, factor that in too, doesn't add up to a lot more though.

It doesn't keep as well though, I found it better to do a smaller loaf more often rather than trying to make it last.

Zippity
14-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Substitute olive oil for butter - yummy :) :)

Nick G
14-12-2012, 03:36 PM
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/DSCF5788.JPG?w=19b357fb Here's the link to the grain (actually muesli) bread.

Nick G
15-12-2012, 09:13 AM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40295295/DSCF5788.JPG
Sorry, this is the correct link.

Nomad
15-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for that givint it a go now :D Will substitute museli with a bit of other seeds and stuff. Oh it doesn't ask for milk.

Nick - what book is that? I note it uses Edmond's yeast must be a NZ book. Thanks for PcTek's link. I bought some countdown 1.5kg hi flour for $3 :xmouth: Not in AKL so will look into Binn Inn. Need to travel to Lower Hutt though. These stuff about getting the ingredients is a bit like black/white film development .....

beetle
15-12-2012, 11:54 AM
I have recently delvd into the breadmaker option. Expect to make not perfect bread lol. I have made some yummy bread an some not so good bread. Im no bread expert. Jst found most recipes are too big for my machine. Id suggest get one recipe bread style sortd before altering recipes. Good luck

Trev
15-12-2012, 12:26 PM
In time after the novelty has worn off the breadmaker will be sitting in the back of the cupboard not being used.

Terry Porritt
15-12-2012, 12:33 PM
In time after the novelty has worn off the breadmaker will be sitting in the back of the cupboard not being used.

You reckon? I bake a loaf every other day, or rather every other night. The machine makes better bread when the mix is left standing overnight and it's timed to finish at around 7.30am.

The Panasonic came with a decent recipe book with quantities mainly in grams rather than silly units like 'cups'.

Nick G
15-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Nick - what book is that? I note it uses Edmond's yeast must be a NZ book.
The New Zealand bread book, by Simon and Alison Holst. its very good, couldn't recommend it highly enough really.
http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Book/The-New-Zealand-Bread-Book/7209904/

pctek
15-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Not in AKL so will look into Binn Inn. .
OK, then Pak N Save, the have 5kg bags, sometimes bigger. Bin Inn is not actually cheap - I tried them.

Nomad
15-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Second go now with raisin bread. Mum stuffed up the other thinking it was "to taste", didn't have the 1C of museli and just a few tablespoon of seeds. I told her to put more flour in as the dough was v wet. But she said no ... The watery dough ballooned out, when I took the pan out of the breadmaker it just shrunk, had to cook in oven but still uncooked bits inside. Compared the recipe to the one without the 1C of museli the flour was then understated by 1C.

Our first white loaf went ok.

Zippity
15-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Always use high quality flour - don't skimp.

Try adding pumpkin seed and sunflower seeds into your mix.

Use the granulated yeast - put it straight into the dough mix.

Try adding a packet of Maggi Tomato soup to a mix.

Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt to most recipes.

As mentioned earlier, use olive oil instead of butter.

ooh yeh
15-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Bin Inn's Laucke Bread Mixes are very good.
They come complete with everything to make good bread.
We use 50/50 mix of Multigrain & Dark Rye in our breadmaker. (Use their instructions as to the quantities)
It makes a lighter rye loaf and it keeps fresh in the fridge for several days.