PDA

View Full Version : How do I make voice files?

BrotherDragon
14-12-2012, 09:46 AM
I want to connect a microphone to my computer and record simple vocal files. What is best/cheapest way to do this?

14-12-2012, 10:33 AM
easiest way
start
run
sndrec32.exe

it will save a wave file: they can get a bit big.

to test the mic, control panel, sounds & audio devices: theres a mic test in there. Sometime the mic input is off by default.

Paul.Cov
15-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Yes to all the above.

I haven't done this since W98, at which time Sound Recorder had a bothersome limit of about 30 seconds of recording. However, once a 30sec file was made it could be increased in size by another 30 sec, saved, re-opened, and again expanded 30 sec.

Hopefully that stupid barrier to use is now long gone.

It also used to be that if you went into the Volume Control Properties (on the Task Bar) and selected Recording, that you could select your input source and the amplicication etc. Also used to be an amplitude meter so you could visualise what was happening without having to record, save, rewind, play each time.

As said above, file sizes can grow very quickly. Speech does not need to go into a stero format. Likewise it does not need a high bitrate.
Once it's all saved I'd consider converting it to mp3 to free up a bunch of space.