PDA

View Full Version : ? Nasty - email with subject "... has added you to SkillPages"

Robin S_
13-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Has anyone received any emails with the above subject - the ... represents a name, probably one with which you are familiar. I received 2 about a week ago and today my wife received one - we were suspicious and did not open them. I emailed the purported sender of mine and found (not surprisingly) that he had not sent it so it was spoofed. He believed it had been send by a friend of his, and has scanned his computer and found nothing.

I have searched the net and found 80-odd reports of this spam or whatever it is, most with different names in the subject. Intriguingly, most of them were on blog sites so it seems as though it may have been designed to be spread by this means. I have searched Symantec, McAffee and Kaspersky for 'skillpages' and got nothing. The only indication I have found regarding what it is about was from an athletics website where someone posted that "dangerous" emails had been circulating on the site with one of the following list of subject lines - Welcome to Skillpages, ... has confirmed you as a friend, ... has added you to SkillPages, Activate your account, ... has recommended you. The poster exhorted readers 'DO NOT OPEN IT'. Unfortunately no indication was given about the source of the information. Apparently the email message claims that "you have been invited by ... to join his circulation group" or some such, and it says if the recipient doesn't want to get further emails click this link (which I'll bet is booby-trapped).

Does anyone know what this is and what it is all about?

Agent_24
13-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I get crap like that all the time, just junk it and forget about it.

pctek
14-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Welcome to Skillpages, ... has confirmed you as a friend, ...
A few times, who cares? Delete it.
More crap.

14-12-2012, 10:12 AM
The 1st rule is dont open emails like this
The 2nd rule is NEVER REPLY to emails like this, you may just be confirming to the spammer your email is valid & you might end up with more spam. :-(

Honestly, just delete them & get on with your life.
Chasing down the source of bogus emails is a fruitless exercise.

pctek
14-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, one lot goes away, the next lot of this stuff appears....endless really.

ktee
14-12-2012, 05:26 PM
A friend got one yesterday supposedly from a work colleague.
I looked it in google, it looks like one of those “LINKEDIN Sites you join” .
It lists people’s jobs etc, e.g www.skillpages.com/listing/skills/Construction

I told him just to delete it too.

Robin S_
14-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, but I am not yet convinced that it is actually spam. In my case the "sender" was someone from whom I had bought something on TradeMe, at which time we exchanged a few emails in transacting the deal. At the time I received the suspicious emails I had had no other contact with him. The only way his address as sender, and mine as receiver, could have been associated was for either his computer or mine (or TradeMe's) to have been penetrated because, exceptional circumstances excluded, no other computer would have both our addresses on it. Hence to me this smacks of the planting of malware, or some other means of invasion, on one of those 3 computers/locations, and AFIK those actions are more typical of worm or virus spreading. The suspicious emails had no attachments so the presumed trigger must have been opening the email, not an attachment. No malware has been detected on either the "sender's" or my computer.

A mistake I did make yesterday was that I attempted to copy the email subject to clipboard in order to paste into a search engine window. The copy failed but the attempt caused the email to open instead. I realised this instantly and quickly closed it before it was even displayed but this was obviously sufficient to trigger the payload because on checking my email shortly afterward I found 2 new emails, the subject of each being 'Your invitation from [Spoofed sender] has been a ..." - the remainder overflows the subject box in my Inbox but my guess is that the next word is 'accepted'. I have not opened those replies, neither of which carries an attachment. On the net are many posts containing what I presume is the contents of that email, and it includes a link to click on to unsubscribe from what I guess are purported to be future emails. I would not want to click that link in case it triggers something undesirable.

Until this episode I have been virtually spam and other nasty free, so maybe as a result I am just not up with the play on current malware trade tricks.

fred_fish
15-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Draping your monitor with garlic helps ...