PDA

View Full Version : How do I link my PC to TV to watch live streaming on TV

bellbird
13-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I've read the TV onscreen stuff etc but I can't work out what to do. TV is Samsung UA40D5000 with LAN, PC in, USB1 and 2, PC/DVI audio in, DVI and HDMI's. PC is HP Desktop A1140A, Windows XP SP3. What connection/s do I need to buy. I'd be watching mostly live streaming eg The ASP Billabong Pipe Masters which is on now or wildlife sites. I wouldn't be watching movies or tv shows. Thanks for any help.

DeSade
13-12-2012, 11:47 AM
You are just using your TV as a monitor with built-in speakers.
So use a HDMI from your graphics card to the TV and whatever audio cables you have from colour to colour, ie green to green.

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2012, 11:47 AM
How or where is this live streaming coming from tho? If the desktop it would have to have an HDMI connection on it. Or you can get a VGA / DVI cable. Since it looks like the TV has a -Dsub connection on it. But the videocard would have to have DVI on it obviously.

tmrafi
13-12-2012, 12:13 PM
TV is Samsung UA40D5000 with LAN, PC in, USB1 and 2, PC/DVI audio in, DVI and HDMI's. PC is HP Desktop A1140A, Windows XP SP3. What connection/s do I need to buy.
HP Pavilion A1140A originally shipped with GeForce 6200 graphics card which has VGA, DVI and SVideo outputs. Of these 3 connections, DVI is the best and as your TV also supports DVI, you need a DVI to DVI cable. This will get you the picture from your PC to TV.
Now to get the sound you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Audio cable. This will connect from the PC Speaker out jack (usually green in colour) to the TV's PC/DVI audio in connector. This will get you audio from the PC to TV.

DVI Cable example (http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/cables-adaptors/monitor/auction-540929727.htm)
Audio cable example (http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/cables-adaptors/audio/auction-542200786.htm)

bellbird
13-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks DeSade and Speedy. How do I find whether the PC has an HDMI connection? If I does how do I connect to the graphics card? If it needs to be connected via VGA/DVI cable how do I check if the graphics card has DVI on it. I have an Nvidia GEForce 6200 Turbo Cache 256MB

we posted at the same time tmrafi. Thanks for your help.

DeSade
13-12-2012, 12:31 PM
I see you are in Christchurch, I have plenty of DVI cables I am not using if you want one.
I have moved to HDMI Cables.

bellbird
13-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the offer DeSade, I'll pm. I checked the DVI and Audio cable examples in tmrafi's post. Where would the DVI cable connect on my PC, I can't see a spare pin? type connection. I guess that one of the two connections in use is the graphics card, if I replace it with a dvi cable from tv to pc then I'd have no connection to the monitor. "scuse my confusion.

DeSade
13-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Unless your graphics card has two DVI ports then you would need to "replace" your monitor with the TV.

gary67
13-12-2012, 07:53 PM
If your graphics card only has one DVI port why not put the monitor back onto the VGA as they used to be. I run dual monitors one is on VGA the other on DVI

Disco_Dan
14-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Media server = few terabytes worth of HDD connected direct to router.

Xbox - can access the whole flipping lot and can watch it straight on TV.

For the odd thing that Xbox has a tanty about playing - direct HDMI cable from laptop to TV sorts it.

Can even stream off my media server on iphone... when I'm in another country.

How else do you do it ! ! :punk

bellbird
20-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Back again. I bought my computer new 7 years ago and it came with a Benq FP71V+ monitor. It had DVI-D (white) and a D-Sub (blue). I connected both from PC to monitor, was I supposed to only connect one of them? Do I remove one, buy a longer one and use that to connect PC to TV.

Bart 05
21-12-2012, 11:40 PM
So many changed since PCs and TVs first started demanding to hook up. They used to be totally different business. At current age, both are coming together from their particular instructions, challenging and assist at the same time to create strange interactive communications commodities.

pcuser42
21-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Back again. I bought my computer new 7 years ago and it came with a Benq FP71V+ monitor. It had DVI-D (white) and a D-Sub (blue). I connected both from PC to monitor, was I supposed to only connect one of them? Do I remove one, buy a longer one and use that to connect PC to TV. Yes, you only need one video cable from the PC to the monitor.

bellbird
22-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks pcuser, and thanks everyone for your input. My not understanding that VGA and D-Sub are the same thing and that I had connected both the D-sub and DVI cables from PC to monitor has confused things somewhat. I should be good to go now.

pcuser42
22-12-2012, 09:43 AM
VGA and D-Sub are the same thing

In this context, yes they are the same thing. :)

Richard
22-12-2012, 10:29 AM
This has been an excellent question. But can you do it wirelessly, over a distance of say 10 metres? What equipment is needed?

Nomad
22-12-2012, 10:36 AM
This has been an excellent question. But can you do it wirelessly, over a distance of say 10 metres? What equipment is needed?

Bro bought one of the DSE devices but returned it. It is a straight line 'line of sight', when you factor in walls and closed doors, corners it doesn't work. Also pay attention to your cordless phone due to interference with the frequency. He got it to work maybe 5m away to the dining room (open plan).

It might be better to get a Wifi device that turns the TV into surfing the net if that is available or simply use a laptop connected to the TV. The laptop can access the Wifi router.