PDA

View Full Version : Housing Corp - why bother?

pctek
13-12-2012, 11:14 AM
There was a tenancy notice left lying about on our drive. From the street over back (don't ask me how his rubbish gets left right around 2 corners).

But it had a spreadsheet attached showing some arrears.
He was paying $375 a week.
I know they charge market rents if the tenant works, but why would you? They not that nice, no section at all, no fences between the others....so why not just go rent a normal house?

Zara Baxter
13-12-2012, 11:36 AM
A few thoughts come to mind:

* If you leave the system to go regular market, can you get back in easily? (in Aus, you'd go back onto a 10yr wait list if you gave up a spot)
* $375 doesn't get you that much in Auckland. A quick check of trademe properties around that price, 3BR house, for example, got me places in Ranui, Otahuhu, Papatoetoe. Nothing wrong with those spots, but if you've got a place in a better area, why move?
* Moving costs money (eg bond) which this person obviously doesn't have or they wouldn't be in arrears.
* Poor references.
* You haven't seen inside the place. It may be nicer than the alternatives...
* School zone?

DeSade
13-12-2012, 11:44 AM
The move I am going through right now is costing me about 4.5k
That is not easy to come up with and just lose like that.

pctek
13-12-2012, 12:40 PM
* $375 doesn't get you that much in Auckland. A quick check of trademe properties around that price, 3BR house, for example, got me places in Ranui, Otahuhu, Papatoetoe. Nothing wrong with those spots, but if you've got a place in a better area, why move?

He's already in Ranui.
See?
Haven't seen inside his one, but I have seen inside the neighbours one right at back of us, well, some of it. They're all the same. Ok, but the sections, well, no privacy at all.

R2x1
14-12-2012, 08:25 AM
. . . Ok, but the sections, well, no privacy at all.
Their non-housing-corp neighbours are better off in this regard? ;)

prefect
14-12-2012, 03:34 PM
People in state houses should have a max tenure of 10 years and then on ya bike.

QW.
14-12-2012, 06:11 PM
People in state houses should have a max tenure of 10 years and then on ya bike.

Half that of that is enough. Thousands are on the waiting lists for houses but can't get one because there people have been state homes for years and years.

pctek
15-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Their non-housing-corp neighbours are better off in this regard? ;)
Yes actually, houses themselves not so different, but they are on their own bit of section.