PDA

View Full Version : Review the Year PF1

lordnoddy
12-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Best and Worst of.... Movie, Concert/Show (including theater), Gadget, Game, Catch Phrase and TV Shows... GO!!!

BEST

Movie - James Bond 007 - Skyfall (may be taken over by The Hobbit when I see it)

Concert/Show - Potted Potter (stage show)

Gadget - Nexus 4 (When I get it - I know it will be!)

Game - Diablo 3 (it's the only game I bought this year)

Catch Phrase - "Bro want some ghost chips!?"

TV Show - Sons of Anarchy - Season 5

WORST

Movie - Taken 2

Concert/Show - None that I can think of right now.

Gadget - Router from Telecom (haha)

Game - ARMA 2 mod DayZ (enjoyable but too hard lol)

Catch Phrase - "State will keep you moving" (ruined the song for me!)

TV Show - Any of the 'Shores' included the GC

Zara Baxter
12-12-2012, 04:39 PM
BEST
Movie - I quite liked Brave and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. I wouldn't rate anything I've seen more than 7/10, though. Want to see Bourne Legacy and Hobbit before finalising...

Concert/Show - St Vincent (music), Y Chromazone (dance performances, all male)

Gadget - Nexus 7

Game - I played a metric craptonne of Diablo 3.

Catch Phrase - "totes amazeballs!"

TV Show - Forbrydelsen, Season 2/Breaking Bad - Season 4/Community, Season 1

WORST
Movie - Salmon fishing in the Yemen. Yeah, it makes both lists.

Concert/Show - ... Hmm.

Gadget - Probably shouldn't say.

Game - Simpsons Tapped Out. Hated it. Reviewed it.

Catch Phrase - "Dang, yo!"

TV Show - I saw no bad TV. I only watch carefully preselected DVD. :D

Gobe1
12-12-2012, 04:48 PM
BEST

Movie - prometheus

Concert/Show - none

Gadget - SSD

Game - Diablo 3 (played over 600 hours of it)

Catch Phrase - "Bro want some ghost chips!?" Same here LOLZ

TV Show - Game of Thrones Season 2

WORST

Movie - Ghost Rider 2

Concert/Show - None

Gadget - Cant think of a bad one i brought

Game - Diablo 3 (took over my life but i survived)

Catch Phrase - Cant think of any

TV Show - Any of the 'Shores' included the GC - Agreed and cooking shows and CSI shows (except dexter)

the_bogan
12-12-2012, 06:10 PM
BEST

Movie - Dredd (well, the only one I've seen)

Concert/Show - BÍLZER \ Blood of The Moon \ Bullet Belt

Gadget - nothing I can think of

Game - Cricket Manager 2012

Catch Phrase - http://xkcd.com/1022/

TV Show - Don't watch TV

WORST

Concert/Show - Some punk gig that all the bands played bad hardcore

Gadget - none I can think of

Game - Diablo 3, nothing on the D2 community

Catch Phrase - Bro, want some ghostchips

TV Show - Most of it?

pcuser42
12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
BEST

Movie: Ted
Concert/Show: The Twits was pretty good.
Gadget: Nokia Lumia 920 :D
Game: Don't play many games, so can't say.
Catch Phrase: HAIYOOOOOO!
TV Show: 7 Days

WORST

Movie: If I know a movie is terrible I don't watch it :p
Concert/Show: Haven't seen a bad one
Gadget: Intel Atom processors :yuck:
Game: Again, I don't play many games.
Catch Phrase: "I don't recall"
TV Show: Same with movies :p

mikebartnz
12-12-2012, 09:01 PM
WORST

Gadget - Probably shouldn't say.
and that is why I have given up buying any computer rags.:groan:

icow
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
BEST

Movie: Dark Knight Rises
Concert/Show: Didn't see any
Gadget: New iMacs
Game: Torchlight II or Far Cry 3
Catch Phrase: Not sure
TV Show: Jono and Ben at Ten

WORST

Movie: Dark Souls
Concert/Show: Didn't see any but will give it to Nickelback anyway
Gadget: PS Vita, nothing wrong with it apart from the fact Sony handhelds are dead in the water after the PSP
Game: Diablo 3
Catch Phrase: YOLO
TV Show: Don't know, give it to the GC anyway?

wainuitech
12-12-2012, 10:53 PM
and that is why I have given up buying any computer rags.:groan: Agree with that :) used to, but most of the mags have the same articles anyway. Buy an Aust mag, and a few months later the same article comes out in a NZ mag.-- Now that's original ;)

Zara Baxter
13-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Agree with that :) used to, but most of the mags have the same articles anyway. Buy an Aust mag, and a few months later the same article comes out in a NZ mag.-- Now that's original ;)

That's actually not possible. We're the only NZ computer mag, aside from Netguide (which I don't count, for reasons) and that's been the case since Tone closed last year. Neither Tone nor we have taken content from Australian Mags in the two years I've been here - the aussie PC World went online only nearly five years ago (my old mag, PC Authority, took the subscribers when they closed).

You get the Aussie mags imported (PC Authority, PC User, APC, Game Informer), but none of them have a Kiwi version. We're it for consumer tech mags.

We use US editorial features and how-tos, mostly because we're such a tiny team that we have to. We do all our product testing here and write as many local stories as we're able. We're a team of three people, there's only so much we can do.

I'll agree that there tend to be a lot of similar articles, but we go out of our way to try not to copy anyone else. Sometimes, timing means it's needed - articles about Windows 8 around launch, etc.

The only reason I wouldn't say what the worst gadget of the year for me was, is that I put my opinions right there in PC World - you can check through our list to find it.Any gadget I reviewed well, but hated personally is nobody's business but mine, and could be used by a manufacturer as evidence of bias should they have a beef with me later. I don't need the hassle. Want my personal opinion? Meet me at Galbraith's on a thursday night, buy me a craft beer, and I'll tell you.

Frank_sumbody
13-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Meet me at Galbraith's on a thursday night, buy me a craft beer, and I'll tell you.

I could do that if you like, I will be easy to pick out, out of the crowd, I will be the one that walks around with a walk like I am looking forward to my next physiotherapist session, and when asked if I would like a beer?, I reply with a secret code "have you got any vintage beer less than $5 a glass"

By the way; that room on the right as you walk in the door looks a bit untidy,

Roll on 2013 when I can walk around Tamaki drive again.

inphinity
13-12-2012, 07:52 AM
BEST

Movie - The Avengers

Concert/Show - None

Gadget - Galaxy S3

Game - X-COM Enemy Unknown

Catch Phrase - None

TV Show - Arrow / The Walking Dead (tie)

WORST

Movie - Twihard Part Whatever How Many More Oh God Stop

Concert/Show - None

Gadget - iPad Mini

Game - Hitman: Absolution

Catch Phrase - "YOLO"

TV Show - That Ridges thing

R2x1
13-12-2012, 08:01 AM
It was New Year morning. I yawned, stretched and did some trivial chores, ate and slept. Nek minit it's 10 sleeps to xmas. We wuz robbed.

wainuitech
13-12-2012, 08:12 AM
That's actually not possible. We're the only NZ computer mag, aside from Netguide (which I don't count, for reasons) and that's been the case since Tone closed last year. Neither Tone nor we have taken content from Australian Mags in the two years I've been here - the aussie PC World went online only nearly five years ago (my old mag, PC Authority, took the subscribers when they closed).

You get the Aussie mags imported (PC Authority, PC User, APC, Game Informer), but none of them have a Kiwi version. We're it for consumer tech mags.

We use US editorial features and how-tos, mostly because we're such a tiny team that we have to. We do all our product testing here and write as many local stories as we're able. We're a team of three people, there's only so much we can do.

I'll agree that there tend to be a lot of similar articles, but we go out of our way to try not to copy anyone else. Sometimes, timing means it's needed - articles about Windows 8 around launch, etc.

The only reason I wouldn't say what the worst gadget of the year for me was, is that I put my opinions right there in PC World - you can check through our list to find it.Any gadget I reviewed well, but hated personally is nobody's business but mine, and could be used by a manufacturer as evidence of bias should they have a beef with me later. I don't need the hassle. Want my personal opinion? Meet me at Galbraith's on a thursday night, buy me a craft beer, and I'll tell you.I'lkl dig out a couple, and post the articles, there has been some that were in the Aust mags, and a few months later the exact same article came out in PC World NZ. Not only that, but some of the online articles, may have the country's name changed, but the main body of the articles is basically the same.

inphinity
13-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I'lkl dig out a couple, and post the articles, there has been some that were in the Aust mags, and a few months later the exact same article came out in PC World NZ. Not only that, but some of the online articles, may have the country's name changed, but the main body of the articles is basically the same.

Given that Zara has acknowledged some content is sourced from the US, is it perhaps likely that the Aus mags are doing the same - so both the Aus mags and PCW end up running the same US-sourced article?

R2x1
13-12-2012, 08:18 AM
The main thing is that we used to have a really good magazine. Thanks to FF and CK it plummeted in credibility. After a few crew changes it started to improve, and continues to do so. That is pretty notable.

Zara Baxter
13-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Given that Zara has acknowledged some content is sourced from the US, is it perhaps likely that the Aus mags are doing the same - so both the Aus mags and PCW end up running the same US-sourced article?

That's not possible either. No consumer tech magazine in Australia licenses IDG content. ARN and CIO/MIS use some, but neither is a consumer mag.

Wainuitech, if you could dig those up, that would be great. I'd need to forward that to the Editorial heads of IDG in the US, because for that to happen, someone would have had to have plagiarised the US PC World/IDG content.

I can categorically state that we wouldn't ever use an article that had been in an Australian mag, even if we had the rights for anything from ACP or Haymarket (which we don't) - we know those mags are delivered to NZ. It would be suicide.

Wainuitech, is it possible you're thinking of stories you saw online appearing in the mag? Because that can happen. We put some reviews up and then in the mag, for example. For smartphones and such we want the reviews up before the US, where we can, and we try to get them out on the launch date so that people looking for information will find it ASAP.

WalOne
13-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Hey guys! Let's not hijack lordnoddy's thread. All of us know better, including those of editorial persuasion.

:D

Zara Baxter
13-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Good point WalOne, thanks. LordNoddy - if you want our off-topic chat moved elsethread, let me know :-)

inphinity
13-12-2012, 09:32 AM
The day is not complete without a total derail, anyway....

Gobe1
13-12-2012, 09:36 AM
I did really enjoy Unstoppable as a movie too with the runaway train. will add that as a close second.

lordnoddy
13-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Good point WalOne, thanks. LordNoddy - if you want our off-topic chat moved elsethread, let me know :-)

Bahaha na it's all fine and dandy... I would like to know more BEST and WORSE though... quite enjoying some of the responses...

+1 on the following

YOLO - worst
Dark Knight Rises - best
Walking Dead - Best

Oh and if I had to change my Catch Phrase it would be... "I use to be an adventurer like you... but then I took an arrow the knee." - Overused Meme!

Gobe1
13-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Oh and if I had to change my Catch Phrase it would be... "I use to be an adventurer like you... but then I took an arrow the knee." - Overused Meme!

Hahah i forgot about that one! hahahahaaa

GameJunkie
13-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Best movie: The Dictator
Concert: none
Gadget: my Galaxy Nexus
Game: DayZ,and now Metro 2033 for free
phrase: none
Tv show: Homeland

worst
movie: havent watched it but twilight
concert: none