PDA

View Full Version : Steam for linux question.

Nick G
11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Getting steam for linux (beta); was wondering if there was a way to install games onto my /home partition instead of my / partition just due to space issues.

Yes, I asked on ubuntu forums, but no one was certain, so I thought I'd ask here ;)

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
I found mine was in ~/Steam anyways? Is yours not?

icow
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
You can change the directory the games install onto in the PC and Mac versions of Steam so I don't see why it would be any different on Linux.

Nick G
11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I found mine was in ~/Steam anyways? Is yours not?
Don't know tbh, I haven't installed any games yet. Was wanting to make sure it didn't happen before I downloaded any.

You can change the directory the games install onto in the PC and Mac versions of Steam so I don't see why it would be any different on Linux.
Cheers, I'll have a look. I'm still a steam newbie (don't have it on windows) so I didn't know that.

Slankydudl
11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
It will install them on the same directory you installed steam on.

Nick G
11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Yep, you were right Chill, it does install the games on /home by default.

Cheers.

Agent_24
12-12-2012, 10:51 AM
As much as I don't like Steam, if it helps Linux in the gaming world, I guess that's a good thing.

I tried it out - you can download and install Steam on Linux (They say Ubuntu 12.04 is the only one supported but I had no problem on Xubuntu 12.04) - but you are supposed to have beta access otherwise you get an error.

Zara Baxter
12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Sounds like it's time to do one of my regular "install Linux" binges to try it out...

(I'd be interested to hear why you don't like Steam, Agent_24, but if you'd rather pm than clutter the thread, that's fine)

Nick G
12-12-2012, 11:07 AM
As much as I don't like Steam, if it helps Linux in the gaming world, I guess that's a good thing.

I tried it out - you can download and install Steam on Linux (They say Ubuntu 12.04 is the only one supported but I had no problem on Xubuntu 12.04) - but you are supposed to have beta access otherwise you get an error.
Yea, I got beta access. Working fine in ubuntu 12.10, though it doesn't like fullscreen.

Agent_24
12-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd be interested to hear why you don't like Steam

I like to install programs and use them without being required to sign up for and install additional junk that I don't want or need. If Steam was optional I would have no problem with it, but like any typical DRM they force it on you.

And of course the funny thing is that as an anti-piracy scheme it doesn't even work.

Zara Baxter
12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I like to install programs and use them without being required to sign up for and install additional junk that I don't want or need. If Steam was optional I would have no problem with it, but like any typical DRM they force it on you.

And of course the funny thing is that as an anti-piracy scheme it doesn't even work.

Thanks for sharing. We talk about a lot of Steam games, and it's worth keeping in mind that people want to know if there are any non-steam options. :-)

Chilling_Silence
12-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Even if you dont have access to the beta, you can still get into it easily enough by running:
steam steam://store

It'll fire up Steam and everything should work. I've just finished downloading TF2 but haven't had a chance to try it out. Linux Mint here, so far no issues, but the gameplay will be interesting.

Agent_24
12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Even if you dont have access to the beta, you can still get into it easily enough by running:
steam steam://store

It'll fire up Steam and everything should work. I've just finished downloading TF2 but haven't had a chance to try it out. Linux Mint here, so far no issues, but the gameplay will be interesting.

I found launching TF2 then hitting OK to the beta error message would cause Steam to attempt to quit and fail because the game was running.

Fullscreen was no good as the cursor didn't line up with the buttons, though that may be because I am running two monitors in spanned mode each with a different resolution.

Performance wise it ran pretty well for me, but not as good as it could in Windows, I expect. That's on a Radeon HD5770 and the latest 12.11 beta drivers.

Agent_24
21-12-2012, 11:56 PM
For the record, Steam for Linux is now open beta, so anyone can use it without those pesky workarounds :lol:

Nick G
22-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Provided you're on Ubuntu, seems that those not on Ubuntu are having issues getting steam to run.

Agent_24
22-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Well, it's only targeting Ubuntu at the moment so that's no surprise

Nick G
22-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Well, it's only targeting Ubuntu at the moment so that's no surprise
Yes, I'd hope by the time it comes out of beta is would support Fedora, openSUSE, and Linux Mint as well though.

Agent_24
22-12-2012, 12:25 PM
There are reports of it working on Mint but with minor bugs

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2012, 05:21 PM
I've run it on Mint, seemed fine in the newest update. Previous version had a few minor errors I came across but they're fixed in the newest :-)