PDA

View Full Version : Realtime clock

12-11-2001, 04:55 PM
I have two DX4-100 PCs running
Win95. Both PCs on booting come up with the error message
'realtime clock error. Press F1 to continue or DEL for setup' No ammount of adjusting the clock/date in the Bios gets rid of the message and it dosn't seem to affect the running of the software.How can I fix it without throwing away the MB ?.

12-11-2001, 05:46 PM
The usual cause for this is a dead battery. Did they BOTH stop behaving at the same time, or did one fail months ago, and not bother you too much until it was both?
Anyway, since they will probably be NiCds, which tend to leak after they die, you had better have a look at them before they rot out that section of the motherboard. They are usually 3 button cells, about 15mm diameter, in a heatshrink tube, and near the keyboard socket. The date and time in the OS are loaded from that clock only at bootup, so it is not very important, but that battery also maintains the CMOS memory which hold BIOS information such as HD type, port setups, etc. So if it gets worse, you might not be able to boot without setting up the BIOS. Shop around for the batteries, some prices are excessive.

12-11-2001, 11:25 PM
Thanks Graham
One board has been displaying this message for 6 mths or more,Bios intact. The other came into my possesion last week.Both have remote 'velcro' mounted batteries so changing them is no problem.