PDA

View Full Version : Lots of sites not loading



gary67
10-12-2012, 05:04 PM
On Vodafone in Christchurch and today well this afternoon lots of sites are not loading, 2 computers. Down for me says they are up so is this an issue for anyone else?

Sites we can't access.

ASB bank
Ascent
Dick Smiths

And more :(

wainuitech
10-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Just tried them all, 5.00pm, all working fine.

catspyjamas
10-12-2012, 05:43 PM
All good here.

gary67
10-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Hmm rebooted the router then went and cooked tea on the BBQ all working now, don't know what the problem was earlier

JonB
10-12-2012, 07:59 PM
For what it's worth, here is my recent experience. My old dsl modem, Dynalink RTA 1335 was dying so I installed a brand new D-Link DSL-2730B which exhibited exactly the same problems as gary67 describes. Fortunately I have a VERY understanding ISP and after hours on the phone trying to resolve the problems we were getting nowhere...many sites would start to load and then hang. I took the D-Link back to the shop and exchanged it but the second one was no good either. My ISP loaned me a Cisco router and it worked perfectly so they asked me to take my D-Link in to them, when I returned their Cisco, and they would check it out. An hour later after completely uninstalling the firmware and installing an updated version (all for no charge!) the D-Link worked spot on. It was apparently dropping packets of data all over the place. The thing that is of concern is that there are maybe shelves of crook items still out there waiting for unsuspecting buyers.
JonB

plod
10-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Hmm rebooted the router then went and cooked tea on the BBQ all working now, don't know what the problem was earlierdinner wasn't cooked

gary67
11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
dinner wasn't cooked
Hmm I think you could be onto something there

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Packet loss or DNS issues are the first thing that spring to mind here. Post back if it happens again :)

Agent_24
11-12-2012, 09:29 AM
An hour later after completely uninstalling the firmware and installing an updated version (all for no charge!) the D-Link worked spot on. It was apparently dropping packets of data all over the place. The thing that is of concern is that there are maybe shelves of crook items still out there waiting for unsuspecting buyers.
JonB

While the firmware upgrade process will usually involve erasing the devices EEPROM, it's an automatic process done during the upgrade without user input.

There is no manual "un-installation" of firmware. If there was it would constitute wiping the device and rendering it bricked and unusable without advanced recovery techniques.
These would require a JTAG connection and appropriate recovery software at the very least, or possibly advanced soldering skills and an external EEPROM programmer.