PDA

View Full Version : More Windows 8 questions

4Lowie
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi all
Sorry to be a pain with Windows 8 questions.

How do we disable to start up screen and password request when starting windows? I don't need a password.
Can we get it to default to normal desk top at start up? (Even disable the app based screen)
Can we turn on the old "Start" bar so I can see programs?
What about skype, can we run in from the desk top or do we need to go back to the app based screen? Couldn't find the .exe anywhere to create a short cut...

Thanks all.

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
You do this to kill the 1st screen (http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-eliminate-the-win8-lock-screen)

You press the windows key + r, then type in netplwiz untick the top option. Then put your pw in twice then OK. To kill the password login

No you cant turn the start button on it isn't there you'll have to install a 3rd party program like classic shell. Which will bypass Metro. And will go straight to the desktop.

Altho, I think there's something wrong with it at the mo. Its service crashes. And I've been in touch with the author about it

I just use the Skype app. I think the Win8 app (you have to install it) cant do as much as the original Skype app

pcuser42
10-12-2012, 03:08 PM
What about skype, can we run in from the desk top or do we need to go back to the app based screen?

You can run both versions.

10-12-2012, 03:11 PM
If you setup Win8 with a user password, it cant be removed . Thats the initial info I came across a few weeks back.
I may be wrong , they may now be hacks to do that ??

heres how to setup autologin, its a workaround
http://www.forumswindows8.com/tutorials/how-remove-login-password-6037.htm

4Lowie
10-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks, tried that but it says it can't find it...

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Cant find what? gpedit?? I think its only on Win8 Pro

tmrafi
11-12-2012, 12:57 PM
On the desktop screen (not metro), right click on the bottom left corner and you will get a menu. Select Command Prompt Administrator mode.
On the command prompt, type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes. You will get a menu where you can untick "Users must use a password to use this computer". Press OK, and it will ask you for the username and password to use by default. Once you enter the details and reboot, it will no longer ask you to login.

pcuser42
11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
On the desktop screen (not metro), right click on the bottom left corner and you will get a menu. Select Command Prompt Administrator mode.

That menu (also accessed with Windows+X) works from anywhere, not just the desktop.