PDA

View Full Version : People need to learn how to english

Agent_24
10-12-2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/8056212/Jackson-want-to-scare-children

"Jackson want to scare children" :annoyed:

Digby
10-12-2012, 11:39 AM
How to English what ?

I wish we could edit our headings. (I often make a typo in them.)

Agent_24
10-12-2012, 11:48 AM
How to English what ?

Exactly. Jackson want to scare children but they need to learn how to english!

the_bogan
10-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Act like Bill English?

pctek
10-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Exactly. Jackson want to scare children but they need to learn how to english!

They don't get it because they can't English.

kenj
10-12-2012, 12:14 PM
You have lost me?

Ken

johcar
10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Remember, this is Stuff you're quoting here - I understand that they hire 12 year old drop-outs to write their stories....

"If they're scared of the trolls great, if they're scared of the goblins great, they know there are no goblins, they know there are no trolls, it's a safe kind of danger," he says.

Hmmm. He doesn't mention spiders... Looking forward to the Shelob scenes.... Kids, or people with arachnophobia may not enjoy those scenes.

10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
They done got no gramma check button ??

Maybe Stuff defaults the browser to English/Hillbilly ??

wainuitech
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
How to English what ?

You can edit Headings ( done it a couple of times) , as long as its within the 15 minutes( or what ever it is these days that allows you to edit a post) (must be original creator of the post) All you do is select edit, make sure you use advanced, and you can change what ever you want.

Digby
10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
You can edit Headings ( done it a couple of times) , as long as its within the 15 minutes( or what ever it is these days that allows you to edit a post) (must be original creator of the post) All you do is select edit, make sure you use advanced, and you can change what ever you want.

Wow!
Thanks for that.

pctek
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Sigh...
The Article says:
"Jackson want to scare children"
It should say:
"Jackson wants to scare children"

Agent_24
10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
"If they're scared of the trolls great, if they're scared of the goblins great, they know there are no goblins, they know there are no trolls, it's a safe kind of danger," he says.

Hmmm. He doesn't mention spiders... Looking forward to the Shelob scenes.... Kids, or people with arachnophobia may not enjoy those scenes.

Children believe anything... he's sorely mistaken if he thinks kids won't find trolls scary because they know they don't exist... when I was little I was damn sure all those things existed and would catch you if they had half the chance.

Billy T
10-12-2012, 02:05 PM

You can, as I recently found out! They can be edited during the normal message-edit period. I don't recall exactly how, but I think I did it by going to the highlighted section of the post-view when in edit format rather than the usual edit pane below. I was desperate to change a dreadful faux-pas at the time, and relief overwhelmed memory.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

plod
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
You can, as I recently found out! They can be edited during the normal message-edit period. I don't recall exactly how, but I think I did it by going to the highlighted section of the post-view when in edit format rather than the usual edit pane below. I was desperate to change a dreadful faux-pas at the time, and relief overwhelmed memory.CheersBilly 8-{)I'm surprised you didn't start a thread asking about it.

Billy T
10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm surprised you didn't start a thread asking about it.

By the time I got an answer, my cock-up would have been permanent!

Desperation gives your fingers wings! :horrified

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

No, I won't tell you what the cock-up was either. :blush:

But check the thread title above.........:D

The Error Guy
10-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I see HUGE amounts of poor grammar and and typos on stuff these days. Problem is shoddy journalists rush to "print" a story onto the site, slapping up a few paragraphs and not bothering to proof read or anything. Back in the day I know you'd at least have to proof yourself, if not have someone else check it before you even dared hand it to the editor.

Jen
10-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I have been known to discretely edit a thread title after receiving a pleading PM... :D

However, the member(s) who thought it was OK to PM me every time he spotted a spelling/grammatical mistake in his post that he wanted corrected got a short shift. :p

Billy T
10-12-2012, 10:30 PM
I see HUGE amounts of poor grammar and and typos on stuff these days. Problem is shoddy journalists rush to "print" a story onto the site, slapping up a few paragraphs and not bothering to proof read or anything. Back in the day I know you'd at least have to proof yourself, if not have someone else check it before you even dared hand it to the editor.

The Herald is going downhill fast! Not just incorrect spelling, but incorrect usage as well, plus split infinitives that make nonsense of the writer's intent. Some splits don't really matter and only a pedant would complain, but others change the whole meaning.

Also, for the second time in as many days there has been reference to North Korea's 'rouge rockets'! (If you have to ask, there's probably a job for you at the Herald, because they can't tell the difference either!)

Another sentence in the page 3 report on the Katikati P Lab fire was so mangled that it is best described as 'inside out and back to front' and two words were run together, something a simple spell check would have revealed.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Also, for the second time in as many days there has been reference to North Korea's 'rouge rockets'! (If you have to ask, there's probably a job for you at the Herald, because they can't tell the difference either!)

North Korea's military is run by Baz Luhrmann, then?
:D

inphinity
11-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Sigh...
The Article says:
"Jackson want to scare children"
It should say:
"Jackson wants to scare children"

The fact that you had to point out the error worries me. I thought most people here had at least a bit of a clue :( lol

Digby
11-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Also journalists should stick to the facts and stop making up headlines.

Eg The online Herald keeps saying that Ross Taylor is accusing Hesson and White of lying.

That is pretty heavy.

If you then read the articles Taylor never uses the word lying or liar once.
He just says what he thought they said.

Al Jezera ran a video about How a Town in England was beating the Recession.

When I watched it, all it showed was 3 shops that had set up to sell home made produce and craft!

That is hardly a town fighting back.
Its just three people showing some initiative and trying to make a living.

If you want an example of a town fighting back, then I suggest they look at what Otorohanga is doing.

R2x1
11-12-2012, 08:53 AM
What days can one find Otorohanga open?

Billy T
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
However, the member(s) who thought it was OK to PM me every time he spotted a spelling/grammatical mistake in his post that he wanted corrected got a short shift. :p

Surely you meant 'a short shrift' Jen :devil:

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

johcar
11-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Surely you meant 'a short shrift' Jen :devil:CheersBilly 8-{) :D That should have been a PM, Billy!