PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Process & Scanning

The Error Guy
08-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I do all my own B&W process however I shot a few colour rolls off and found some exposed colour ones in the darkroom (which is being 1/2 demolished soon :( ) So I'm looking for a place that does C-41 process, I'm guessing hum drum chemists/photo stores will be a tad pricey and want you to make prints. I only want negs out of them. From what I have checked online they are quite pricey. I don't mind stocking up and posting off 10 or so rolls (if that's cheaper) but I was just wondering, to whom would you recommend to do my C-41?

Also, which places are good for doing decent scans? From what I have seen also costly. I'm thinking stuff that scanning I'll just get a macro extension tube from my Nikon and go from there. Getting a decent home scanner costs a lot and getting someone to scan seems costly too.

So, C-41 and Scanning? Who's out there? I'm guessing I'll have to search around but perhaps you know someone?

Side note, found an unexposed roll of Agfachrome (AP-44 process) which is expired and not been cold stored. It's not going to reveal a decent image since it's so expired so I planned on cross processing it. From what I have read however the C-41 will kill it and/or melt the emulsion right off the film :x . Some have said doing a low temp run with an extended developing time will work. I haven't researched it heavily but on the off chance some one here has experience I thought I'd ask. I'd better ask at a photo forum.

Anyway, thanks for any help you may offer.

Cheers.

Nomad
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Negs - www.wps.net.nz - they are in Grey Street (off Lambton Quay) or on lower Vivian Street (Cambridge Tce next to PB Tech). $8.

Photo Espresso - Victoria Street next to the Piano/Canon store. Bit cheaper. http://www.photoespresso.co.nz/

Scanning - dunno. People tend to want ~$2 per frame if they are loose. Perhaps ~1 if at the time or development if you have scans for the whole roll so ~$24 or $36 + the development price. This is just their minilab machine scanner. Nothing fancy. My Epson V700 measures up to it and the filesize might only be 2 or 3MP. Noise reduction turned up so you get a lot of smoothing etc.

I would just get something like a used Epson flatbed scanner something like a V500 and up. The colours are just as good as Image Lab for C41, the colours are not very good at WPS (for C41 prints) but the others are fine, the best is Image Lab for colour. There is also Photo Warehouse across from Manners Mall McDonalds but they might be a bit more expensive than the two I posted.

There is Image Lab but the negs have marks on mine and another photography friend of mine.
If you are looking at colour slides, I think they all ship them to Image Lab. I send mine to the USA as slides are much more $$ here despite postal it is still worth it.

The Error Guy
10-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I know WPS well, slipped my mind to think of them. One place want to charge me $25 for a roll of 120, said I'd be pressed to find somewhere to do it for less. WPS, $12.

Never knew of photo expresso, I'll drop in, grab a coffee and see how much they are.

Scanning seems to be a rip most places, having to pay through the nose for a decent scan and still paying up for average ones. I'll probably go for making a scanner with my SLR, I saw a really cool one on some DIY site that had an auto advance + shutter release meaning the guy could do 36 in less than a minute. I just had a thought too, I'm off to Massey next year so the uni will probably have a decent scanner in their lab. If not I'll probably sack up and buy a decent scanner

Just wondering, is there any major pros/cons over scanning (with an average quality neg scanner) vs photographing negs/slides?

Cheers for the info.

Nomad
10-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Buy one less computer and get a scanner :lol:

$12 120 film development? That's B/W. C41 is the same $8 (120 and 135).
http://wps.net.nz/images/page_content/WPS%20Lab%20Price%20List_PrintMarch2011.pdf

There is also Film Soup which is a hacker who operates prob from his Wadestown home. I gather they are more DIY processing chemicals. But he had the cheek to contact me more than once on the photo forums. But his prices are actually strategically the same as the big labs but GST inclusive while the labs are exclusive (for slides at least).

Uni - maybe if you have access to the arts faculty. At Vic, the scanners are just paper flatbeds. I guess that you might be able to use it if you buy your own film holders. Provided it has film functionality.

If I was you - the macro lens stuff - is worthy to look into.

Even the Epson V700 RRP around $1,000 is just a flatbed. The lens is fixed focus. The V700 has plastic feets that you attach onto the holders that adjust the highet so the scanner focuses a bit better. Basically the flatbeds are just not in focus. So it's like taking a photo with a camera with the focus a bit off. Unless you have fast film, you don't get to see the real film grain b/c the mis focus softens it out ...

I only have a 6MP DSLR. If I compare the V700 to 6MP. I also have a Nikon Coolscan 4000 (dedicated film scanner).
Websizes - no diff side/side even ..
5x7 print viewed on screen - you start to see that flatbed just doesn't capture the info - it's just not there.
Up to A4 is prob ok. Maybe even A3 if you don't have fine details. That is you are not comparing side/side.

The Coolscan measures up to 6MP DSLR. You get that film look and that digital look. Digital will look smoother, finer grain. Film has more grain, more detail in shadows. But generally, both are fine, at A3 and up 35mm film begins to breakup less.... The Coolscan can really pick out the grain even on 50 speed film.

If you want detail - I would think having not tried, SLR with attachments will look sharper than any consumer flatbeds without getting into the 5 digital professional flatbeds. No Digital ICE though. Paired with a 24MP DSLR you get some nice resolutions.......

Don't forget - all the affordable dedicated scanners are now discontinued. Plustek still have them but doesn't have a good reputation. Then it's just the Hasselblad/Imacon scanners at $15k USD. I bought my Nikon scanner used, it had some error but I sorta fixed it by cleaning the mirror. Just don't leave it plugged to the power indefinitely. It crashes it for some half day. Have contacted Nikon even Japan, they just say that due to no parts, they can only calibrate but cannot replace parts. So even if you buy a new one on eBay these days for inflated prices .... but when it does ........

Nomad
12-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Worth a read:
http://www.addicted2light.com/2012/11/29/how-to-scan-films-using-a-digital-camera/

My only concern is scratching the film when you need to take multiple shots of larger (medium format) film with the 35mm dSLR.

FYI, a Nikon Coolscan is 4000dpi, 35mm = 20MP file. 6x6 = ~85MP.

The Error Guy
12-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks a heap for that Nomad, top stuff!

I'll probably get WPS to do my C-41, not sure about that Agfachrome though. I might have to check out Film Soup chap since it will probably be a rather tailored custom run, it will either clock up a lot of extras and hassle with a commercial place (who'll probably stuff it up along they way) or just not work. I'm guessing he'll have something to say anyway, if not be able to recommend a process/place to do it. I'll also avoid a scanner unless I can come across a decent commercial type one cheap!! It's simply not worth the money for the quality it seems.

I'm at Massey, doing an Hons in Visual Communication & Design (parents wouldn't let me major in photography :p) I get to do the photography course in my 1st year though so I'll definitely have access to the Photographic facilities, if I make good relations with the staff/students I might be allowed continued access too which would be great.

Since a set of macro/extension tube is ~$5 on eBay I'll grab a set of those and rig myself a DSLR setup, right now I have a D3100 with a Nikon 50mm prime on it, that should provide enough fidelity to satisfy my needs at very little cost. Not sure if I want to upgrade my camera just yet but it can only get better in the future and the D3100 (14-15mp?) should provide plenty of detail for what I'm doing. Most of my film photography atm is experimental, working with very rough light metering and expired films, my B&W dev temps have been ignored and timing hasn't been perfect. Good thing is B&W is very forgiving and the actual developing has been spot on. It's taken a rather lomography swing (esp when I shot a roll using a lens with a cracked front element) so any quality loss can just be blamed on it being "artistic". I think that's where lomo came from, people who just couldn't take a pic and develop it right :D!

Just read part of that link you sent (very interesting) and they are doing what I had thought of doing should I wish to get an ultra high resolution image from the negs (stitching several frames together)

Anyway, I ramble. Very useful info there and I'm sure it will help me on the road to photographic enlightenment!!

Cheers,

TEG

Speedy Gonzales
13-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Will the negative film scanners (that you can get now) do what you want?