PDA

View Full Version : PCTek Who do you recommend around the Gore area.

mikebartnz
08-12-2012, 01:43 PM
PCTek Who do you recommend around the Gore area for sorting out PC troubles.

stratex5
08-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Clive wilson can be expensive and charge you for just coming in and saying they cant fix it but say they need to come in again so they can keep trying. Grass Roots IT is quite a good place. thet moved from behind the old Vodafone to mercy st.

I know this was aimed at pctek but i thought i might chip in too ;)

mikebartnz
09-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks for that.
She's an old customer that has recently moved back down that way and is not very computer literate. I had put Teamviewer on her laptop but she can't find it and I'm not interested in trying to talk her through things.

pctek
09-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Gore......um.
This guy:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?13081-MAC_H8ER

He isn't in Gore though.

Clive Wilsons aren't really interested in home users. The one round the corner (Custom Computers) has no idea what he's doing.

There's Hunt Computers in Invercargill, young guy there knows what he'd doing.

There's also:
http://www.southernit.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=8

But I sent an ex-customer there once. She wanted a malware check and a case fan. He wanted to do totally different stuff to the PC and charged her a whacking great fee to come retrieve it after she said no.

mikebartnz
09-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for that PCTek.
MAC_H8ER (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?13081-MAC_H8ER) hasn't been active for over a year I see.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Do you know whats wrong with it Mike?? Is it hardware or software related?

mikebartnz
09-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Do you know whats wrong with it Mike?? Is it hardware or software related?
Sounds to me like software(may be a virus) but as she is so computer illiterate it is hard to tell.
She is going to try Hunt computers and then Grass RootsIT. She had heard enough about Clive Wilson not to go there.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2012, 11:42 AM
If its online I could check it out with teamviewer. It wont cost anything if I can remove it . If its malware

mikebartnz
09-12-2012, 12:00 PM
If its online I could check it out with teamviewer. It wont cost anything if I can remove it . If its malware
Read post #3

pctek
09-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Mach8er hangs out at GPForums these days.
Just don't take teen girls to Grassroots....

Greven
09-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Clive Wilson Gore were acquired by a much more reputable business, but they are even less interested in home users now - they are focusing on providing better service to businesses.

When you are fixing a computer for a tech illiterate person, sometimes it is harder to get a good description of the problem than it is to fix the problem.

PCTek - Wasn't the grassroots saga instigated by the girl? I know it is still wrong, but it is not as bad as you make it sound.

mikebartnz
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Just don't take teen girls to Grassroots....
From what I heard that was Clive Wilson's.

mikebartnz
09-12-2012, 12:45 PM
When you are fixing a computer for a tech illiterate person, sometimes it is harder to get a good description of the problem than it is to fix the problem.
That is so true with her and that is why I am not interested in trying to talk her through things.
I will let you all know how she gets on.

stratex5
09-12-2012, 12:46 PM
PCTek - Wasn't the grassroots saga instigated by the girl? I know it is still wrong, but it is not as bad as you make it sound.

Whats the grassroots saga?

pctek
09-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Instigated? Her?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10415452

I heard she told on him once her parents became aware. Whether or not she was a willing participant though is another matter.
In my opinion, if you're young and in love, you don't confess to the police.

mikebartnz
09-12-2012, 08:10 PM
That John Rountree looks an absolute creep.

Bobh
09-12-2012, 11:27 PM
I have on occasions used Jensen Technicians in Invercargill. They have fixed my problems but they are always busy and I am left without a computer for about a week.

I now have a laptop to quell my withdrawal symptoms while my desktop is in hospital being fixed.

Greven
10-12-2012, 08:46 AM
They have just moved to Yarrow street. It must have been a mission & a half cleaning out their old workshop.

Bobh
10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Jensens were in what looks like an old cottage in Spey St last time I dealt with them. The Yarrow St move is about the third move I know about. Most likely they have moved to better premises.

mikebartnz
16-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Well she went to Hunt computers and was very happy with them.
Turned out it was a virus. Something to do with a kids game.