PDA

View Full Version : Hoax call claims another victim, the nurse is dead.

Frank_sumbody
08-12-2012, 06:41 AM
I just heard on the radio this morning the English nurse who received the hoax call from the Australians is now dead, I supposed everybody that does hoax calls like this is happy now, and now genuine parents who want to find out the conduction of their child so much harder now to get the information out of hospitals.

Strange how last night as I watched “Fawlty Tower” I thought who one of actors became the victim of a hoax call.

On a slightly related topic;
Just recently I rang the office of a retirement home to ask why my mother does not answer the phone, I was told “my mother had gone away, and will not becoming back and to ring my sister, and could not tell me anymore because of privacy issues” I immediately think, sounds like a funeral coming up. I was hoping mad, I am the only child of my mother who because I dont have a car, rent a car from time to time just to take my mother out to give her a break from the prison environment of a retirement village.

self moderated;
[because this forum is like a old fashion supermarket trolly I will not say anymore]

Paul.Cov
08-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Yeah, I was up when the news broke around 4am.

I'm very sadened to hear this. She was a nurse. It was never her job to run interference on the phone or to pick fraudsters for a mega profile patient.

It will also cast a heavy cloud over Kate.

A nurse, by their very nature is there to serve, to help, to assist, and to inform. They do that all day, every day. She was just following the pattern of all her regular daily demands.

You'd also think the hospital would have put barriers in place in this regard as well, so I also see some culpability in the management (who I'm assuming came down on the girl quite hard), but the Royal minders should have also reinforced privacy protocols.

As for the Aussie DJ's. Well, they used lies and deception to invade the privacy of another person.
They impersonated Royals, and they then broadcast it across the world, via radio, web and TV.

Surely there's a whole bunch of laws violated there, and I believe they should feel the full weight of Aussie and UK laws for their stupid act.

It's not terribly different from the media that caused Dianna's death. It's a lack of thought, consideration and ethics, which they happily abandon to get their audience ratings.

And yes, the knee-jerk reaction in all the care industries will be to tighten up and frankly obstruct all the innocent enquiries from friends and family, wich is time wasting and counter productive to most peoples care.

Paul.Cov
08-12-2012, 07:15 AM
It gets even worse, she was married, with 2 kids.

Sure, hers was an over reaction, probably after a whole bunch of others in the chain of responsibility have over reacted.

My over reaction is to ask that the Aussie idiots who started it all get their ##### soundly caned. And I don't care if those tossers have kids or not.

CliveM
08-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Might pay to wait for a bit more detail before jumping to the obvious conclusion.

Frank_sumbody
08-12-2012, 07:36 AM
As I may of indicated in the start post, I have had a g'full of the privacy issue, no doubt put in place because the world is loaded with idiots.

A few years ago was very much looking forward to seeing my dentist, when I turned up for the appointment was told “I canceled it” which I did not, I think I have a rough idea who got involved, I hoped the dentist would have a recording of the voice, so I could be sure who was the lovely person who kindly canceled my much wanted appointment, but no hope there. Because of that now have a new dentist.

Getting back to hospitals, You think these place would have a special code in place, like ask the patient to give them a question and answer, only the parents would know the answer to.

Gobe1
08-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Crikey, very sad. the Ozzy DJs will be in some hot water now

prefect
08-12-2012, 07:51 AM
My take on it:
It was a good prank and pranks are good. No one got hurt the accents were unbelievably bad, so bad they stood no chance of getting away with it. They apologized afterwards thats end of story when when pranks go wrong.
If this stops people doing pranks I will get upset. My mate who has an automatic repair shop still talks about the prank call I made to 20 years ago about getting a Wolsely 1300 auto fixed. He always stated he didn't touch BLMC autos.
No sympathy at all for people who commit suicide in fact just anger at them.

Paul.Cov
08-12-2012, 08:03 AM
A one on one prank between friends is vastly different from a prank regarding the private details of a public figure, that is then broadcast widely for all to 'enjoy'.

Health care places have to be careful.

What if instead Kate had a herpes flare-up which was revealled, or if it was revealled she was in the midst of a miscarriage, with the pregnancy being complicated by her two prior abortions during her teens. Sure, in reality these probably never happened. But who is to know?

Would the world have a right to that sort of info?

Just because the nurses didn't release anything deeply personal doesn't mean it could not have happened, only to be spilt live across the global airwaves.

Paul.Cov
08-12-2012, 08:10 AM
After all... if privacy didn't matter, none of you would be using pseudonyms. You'd happily have your real names in your profiles.

Yet most of those here are hiding their identities, despite the fact this arena is just a tame computer nerds hangout.
So it would seem the rest of you care about your privacy to sound off anonymously on the net.

So why do you think it is ok to blab a public figures personal heath info around the world?

prefect
08-12-2012, 08:16 AM
After all... if privacy didn't matter, none of you would be using pseudonyms. You'd happily have your real names in your profiles.

Yet most of those here are hiding their identities, despite the fact this arena is just a tame computer nerds hangout.
So it would seem the rest of you care about your privacy to sound off anonymously on the net.

So why do you think it is ok to blab a public figures personal heath info around the world?
Notice you said public figure

Paul.Cov
08-12-2012, 08:26 AM
And notice I said personal info.

Much as the identity you have chosen to hide is personal info. As is your age, the state of your health, the status of your prostate, your heart, your blood pressure, diabetes, incontinence. These details are personal to yourself and your immediate family or your carers. It is not appropriate that anyone can call up your doctor and to broadcast his discussion of the various ways your body is failing you.

Digby
08-12-2012, 08:31 AM
That is very sad to hear.

I thought the prank was a laugh and pretty harmless really.

Any one who thought the Queen would ring up like that is a bit silly.

I am really sorry the nurse thought it was so serious.

I bet those Aussie guys are feeling terrible right now (and for ever)

But prank calls, punked, candid camera etc are just part of a free life.

(as long as no one gets really hurt)

prefect
08-12-2012, 08:39 AM

x1

Marnie
08-12-2012, 08:44 AM
It is a very sad situation.

I have no sympathy for the two DJ's. While most of us like like some laughter, seemingly those two were just feeding their own overinflated egos.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2244608/Jacintha-Saldanha-Our-beloved-Jacintha-Familys-grief-suicide-mother-nurse-transferred-Australian-DJs-hoax-Kate-hospital-call.html

I am not a public figure, but I wouldn't like my private and personal details disclosed by any hospital or organisation privy to that information.

Gobe1
08-12-2012, 09:04 AM
but dont worry kate is home now for a rest....wtf she has just been in hospital for 4 days and now needs a rest? what was she doing in hospital??

WalOne
08-12-2012, 09:10 AM

+ 2

zqwerty
08-12-2012, 09:41 AM
The Royal Family is sacred to many of us.

Ignorant Aussie colonials always doing stupid things, in the old days they would have been hung, drawn and quartered (pour encourager les autres) for taking such liberties with members of the Royal Family.

prefect
08-12-2012, 10:09 AM
The Royal Family is sacred to many of us.

Ignorant Aussie colonials always doing stupid things, in the old days they would have been hung, drawn and quartered (pour encourager les autres) for taking such liberties with members of the Royal Family.

The poms have had a long history of pranks

pcuser42
08-12-2012, 10:18 AM
At the time I thought the prank was funny. Now, not so much... :(

B.M.
08-12-2012, 10:22 AM
What a lot of emotional claptrap. :rolleyes:

The woman took her own life it seems and that was completely her own choice.

If one must try to hold someone else responsible, then the Management of the Hospital might be a good place to start. Clearly they over reacted to a complete non-event and put on a fine display of PC - hand-wringing - BS. Maybe it was their response that led the nurse to suicide?

As for the Aussie Pranksters, well they could never have guessed the outcome and it’s been reported that Kate and William weren’t concerned about the minor breach of privacy anyway.

As far as I’m concerned it is just a pity that those that choose to commit suicide can’t allocate their life to someone terminally ill, who wants to live, before doing so.

Gobe1
08-12-2012, 11:32 AM
"But for" (as judge judy says BM) if the DJs had not done the prank it is a pretty good chance the nurse would still be alive today. Unless she was going to do it anyway and this was the straw that broke the camels back

EDIT: Actually if kate hadnt got pregnant it wouldnt have happened either...ill shut up now

zqwerty
08-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I heard that William was "Incandescent" with fury at the intrusion, at least that's what they said on BBC tv news.

I don't blame him, how dare they?

rob_on_guitar
08-12-2012, 11:40 AM
From what i could read, I would have felt sorry for the nurse, in a high stress job, then your picture splashed across tv/papers for having a lapse of reason, the royal followers after you for being a sucker, radio station humiliating you for being a sucker. She must have just caved in.
The DJs are dicks though, they have been in trouble plenty of times before. But like BM has stated, they would not have known the outcome.

Cicero
08-12-2012, 11:41 AM

As far as I’m concerned it is just a pity that those that choose to commit suicide can’t allocate their life to someone terminally ill, who wants to live, before doing so.

What a good idea, might be worth mentioning to your pal Key.

Renmoo
08-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Strange how last night as I watched “Fawlty Tower” I thought who one of actors became the victim of a hoax call.
Eh? Did that happen? Can't recall the scene where that happened.

On that note, I really felt sorry for the manager. Really pity him at times lol.

prefect
08-12-2012, 11:53 AM

On that note, I really felt sorry for the manager. Really pity him at times lol.
Polly?

globe
08-12-2012, 12:24 PM

If one must try to hold someone else responsible, then the Management of the Hospital might be a good place to start. Clearly they over reacted to a complete non-event and put on a fine display of PC - hand-wringing - BS. Maybe it was their response that led the nurse to suicide?

As for the Aussie Pranksters, well they could never have guessed the outcome and it’s been reported that Kate and William weren’t concerned about the minor breach of privacy anyway.

Digusting post. Ever had anyone close to you been in this situation ? At the point where they feel have no option but to end their life ? You think this is an rational state to be in and people can make clear decisions in this state ? You think people chose to commit suicide ? I think you'll find the choice is long out of their hands when they reach that stage.

You and your band of supporters are a bunch of fools, and it is understandable why NZ has such a problem with suicide if people are going to take this view on it. Getting to the point where suicide is their final choice is a serious condition, and I would have thought someone such as yourself who often takes the moral high ground would understand this, and show some empathy towards this.

prefect
08-12-2012, 12:28 PM

+1

Digby
08-12-2012, 12:58 PM
I get the feeling that even Prince Charles thought the call was a bit of a laugh (at the time)

Lawrence
08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
A prank call made that was given little hope of succeeding got through created instant notoriety for the DJ's concerned,rarked it up on twitter even

The nurse who took the call no doubt was given hell and told she would loose her job over it ,a simple mistake with disastrous results

Looks like the DJ's will also loose their jobs and become unemployable in their profession

Frank_sumbody
08-12-2012, 03:20 PM

No someone rang "Andrew Sachs" (real life) (who plays Manuel) and told him they had sex with either his daughter or grand-daughter

There should be a law against it, the doped up idiots.

[footnote: spot the substituted five letter word (that replaces .... never mind) and how it gives the posting a slightly higher class] I hope

Digby
08-12-2012, 05:46 PM
What was the poor nurse to do?

Say "F off" I think you are a prank caller?

That would have lost her her job !

Frank_sumbody
08-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Radio station looses advertising now, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-08/calls-for-understanding-as-outrage-grows-over-tragic-prank/4416636http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-08/calls-for-understanding-as-outrage-grows-over-tragic-prank/4416636

globe
08-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Exactly the poor lady was put in a no win situation that has led to this. Its tragic how's its ended up. No ones fault, but an awful awful outcome.

Cicero
08-12-2012, 06:38 PM

Put it through to a superior, that of course should have been her instruction.

plod
08-12-2012, 07:34 PM
It seems this nurse was the one that took original call, then transferred it to other nurse that gave details

catspyjamas
08-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I am a health professional. When I heard about this "prank" I felt so bad for the nurses involved. Patient confidentiality is something we are bound by law to uphold and therefore something that is taken immensely seriously. These two idiots tricked the nurse into breaching her patient's confidence. Then they broadcast this personal health information on the radio and bragged to the world about it. The nurse could have lost her job, and something like this could have ruined her chances of getting another one. While I gather the hospital were supportive of her it must have been a huge thing to deal with, and something that may have not been over with for a long time if legal proceedings ensued. I can only imagine she would have been incredibly anxious about that. The family were reported to be furious, and understandably so. The added stress of this could easily have impacted very badly on her health (hyperemesis gravidarum is a serious condition - it's more than just bad morning sickness). How can that be considered harmless fun? So while the DJs didn't hold a gun to this nurses head, they are probably a part of why that nurse made that choice and why two children are now motherless. They say they didn't expect their call to be put through, but it was, and that is when they should have stopped and not allowed themselves to be privvy to personal health information they were not entitled to, and not broadcast that information on air. Public figures are not public property. Saying they didn't expect to be put through is hardly a defence. Unbelievably stupid and not in the least bit funny for those on the brunt of the "prank". Even if the nurse who put the call through hadn't have taken her life the DJs should be held accountable for what they did. Yes there should have been processes in place to prevent this breach from ever happening (there are in my workplace), and I daresay lessons will be learned by the hospital staff, but I hope they'll be learned by the radio station too. I won't be holding my breath given that this is the same radio station who in 2009 put a fourteen year old girl on a lie detector test and then pushed her into revealing that she had been raped. This was broadcast on air too.

B.M.
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
What a lot of PC - BS :rolleyes:

globe
08-12-2012, 11:34 PM
What a lot of PC - BS :rolleyes:

You really are a [edit] person aren't you. Someone is dead here and all you an do is blather on about political correctness trying to taunt people and trying to preach the moral high ground. Shame on you.

How would you feel if it was your family ?

[edit]

Jen
09-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Can I please remind people (again) that personal attacks such as name calling is not acceptable. This is not news to you.

Cicero
09-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Can you be the full quid to knock yourself off?

B.M.
09-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Can you be the full quid to knock yourself off?

Saw a bit in one of the papers where the Police found nothing to confirm or even suggest suicide and have referred the matter to the coroner.

There will be a lot of very red faces if they find she died of natural causes.

paulw
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
My take on it:
It was a good prank and pranks are good. No one got hurt the accents were unbelievably bad, so bad they stood no chance of getting away with it. They apologized afterwards thats end of story when when pranks go wrong.
If this stops people doing pranks I will get upset. My mate who has an automatic repair shop still talks about the prank call I made to 20 years ago about getting a Wolsely 1300 auto fixed. He always stated he didn't touch BLMC autos.

Agree with you on that..

paulw
09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
You really are a [edit] person aren't you. Someone is dead here and all you an do is blather on about political correctness trying to taunt people and trying to preach the moral high ground. Shame on you.

How would you feel if it was your family ?

[edit]

And you seem to be a bleed heart type. Anything that's not PC your outraged at..

paulw
09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Saw a bit in one of the papers where the Police found nothing to confirm or even suggest suicide and have referred the matter to the coroner.

There will be a lot of very red faces if they find she died of natural causes.

Or that MI6 did it..

B.M.
09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Or that MI6 did it..

Ahhhh yes, she might have known too much. ;)

zqwerty
09-12-2012, 10:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nrGWwHalCU

pcuser42
09-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I call Goodwin's Law now :D

pctek
09-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Really? Not talking about this person in particular, to perhaps, and they haven't said that yet, kill yourself over at best an embarrassing slip-up is a bit extreme.

However, if you want to end it due to quality of life, why shouldn't you?
It's your own body. Animals can be euthanised, I think people should have that choice too.

pcuser42
09-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Animals can be euthanised, I think people should have that choice too.

Agreed.

dugimodo
09-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm not a fan of the media in general or the intrusiveness into peoples lives, but then all they people who avidly eat up all this stuff are partly to blame as well.
Hindsight and all that but my take on making a prank call on the radio is ;
1. Don't broadcast it live, no telling what could happen
2. If you unexpectedly get put through to someone like Kate the wise thing to do is own up and apologise immediately and not broadcast it...
3. Have a little common sense and consider the consequences to other people before doing this stuff, even if this tragedy hadn't happened it's possible someone could lose their job etc over it.

I despair of a lot of the stuff I see and hear, who cares what celebrity is seeing who or cheating on someone or whatever - it's none of our damn Business, leave them alone. Then there's the guys who stake out Limo's and try to get upskirt shots of celebrities, how is that ok to do or to publish and why aren't they all thrown in jail and shut down for doing it? Sure I'm a guy, I'll look at the pictures, but I can't believe they are allowed to do it.

This was a silly prank gone wrong, I feel bad for the family of the woman. There is no way anyone could have known that it would happen though and it's highly doubtful that it is the sole reason for her unfortunate death. Happy emotionally stable people don't kill themselves over a prank. Some people can't deal with life, it's sad and they need help, but it's not the fault of someone you never met on the other end of a phone call.

prefect
09-12-2012, 12:31 PM
If people really want to play the blame game, blame the prince and his wife for saying they were furious. If they had just laughed it off like normal people the gullible nurse may not have killed herself (Not sure about that yet anyway)

Cicero
09-12-2012, 02:42 PM
And you seem to be a bleed heart type. Anything that's not PC your outraged at..
You noticed that too.!

Cicero
09-12-2012, 02:44 PM
If people really want to play the blame game, blame the prince and his wife for saying they were furious. If they had just laughed it off like normal people the gullible nurse may not have killed herself (Not sure about that yet anyway)

Of course, good that we now know who's fault it is, they should desist from this bay making activity,.

Well seen Pre.

WalOne
09-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Fair comment. But it would seem William is still nursing open wounds from what he saw the media do to his mother, and who could blame him for that? Charles laughed it off though, so there's hope there for the royal family. And no one would have foreseen the tragic outcome.

globe
09-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Not really but I do draw the line at some things, including racism, and people here saying that the tragic death of a prank call is just pc bullshit and emotional claptrap, and then persistently trolling about the point. Considering BM is In the later years of their life I'd have thought they would have more about them than to respond in the manner they have. Not once have they expressed that they find the whole Episode sad even for the family of the woman, all he has done is trolled.

And that quite frankly sucks. Hopefully you are not as cold and callous about this ?

If you don't like it, ignore my posts, that seems to be the general advice handed out on this forum.

Billy T
09-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I mean no disrespect, but failure to paragraph suggests that a red haze came over your sensibilities, the outcome being more rant than reason and your point becomes obscure. I gave up on it in the end, though I agree with the general thrust of your comments.

My view is short and sweet:

It is not funny, smart or clever to take advantage of the trust, naivety or good nature of others, and IMHO hanging is too good for them; so long may they suffer the consequences of their thoughtless and unfeeling actions.

Billy

I am a health professional. When I heard about this "prank" I felt so bad for the nurses involved. Patient confidentiality is something we are bound by law to uphold and therefore something that is taken immensely seriously. These two idiots tricked the nurse into breaching her patient's confidence. Then they broadcast this personal health information on the radio and bragged to the world about it. The nurse could have lost her job, and something like this could have ruined her chances of getting another one. While I gather the hospital were supportive of her it must have been a huge thing to deal with, and something that may have not been over with for a long time if legal proceedings ensued. I can only imagine she would have been incredibly anxious about that. The family were reported to be furious, and understandably so. The added stress of this could easily have impacted very badly on her health (hyperemesis gravidarum is a serious condition - it's more than just bad morning sickness). How can that be considered harmless fun? So while the DJs didn't hold a gun to this nurses head, they are probably a part of why that nurse made that choice and why two children are now motherless. They say they didn't expect their call to be put through, but it was, and that is when they should have stopped and not allowed themselves to be privvy to personal health information they were not entitled to, and not broadcast that information on air. Public figures are not public property. Saying they didn't expect to be put through is hardly a defence. Unbelievably stupid and not in the least bit funny for those on the brunt of the "prank". Even if the nurse who put the call through hadn't have taken her life the DJs should be held accountable for what they did. Yes there should have been processes in place to prevent this breach from ever happening (there are in my workplace), and I daresay lessons will be learned by the hospital staff, but I hope they'll be learned by the radio station too. I won't be holding my breath given that this is the same radio station who in 2009 put a fourteen year old girl on a lie detector test and then pushed her into revealing that she had been raped. This was broadcast on air too.

globe
09-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Who's playing the blame game ? Sems to me that there are 2 views on here, those that find this a tragic turn of events for what was intended to be a harmless prank, and those with no empathy and couldn't care less someone is dead.

Cicero
09-12-2012, 04:16 PM
It is not funny, smart or clever to take advantage of the trust, naivety or good nature of others, and IMHO hanging is too good for them; so long may they suffer the consequences of their thoughtless and unfeeling actions.

Billy

Total concurrence.

plod
09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I mean no disrespect, but failure to paragraph suggests that a red haze came over your sensibilities, the outcome being more rant than reason and your point becomes obscure. I gave up on it in the end, though I agree with the general thrust of your comments.

My view is short and sweet:

Billymaybe the nurse read your thread on the worst movie and took your advice.

prefect
09-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Who's playing the blame game ? Sems to me that there are 2 views on here, those that find this a tragic turn of events for what was intended to be a harmless prank, and those with no empathy and couldn't care less someone is dead.
It was a harmless prank and a good one to. Some people are just too pc and need to lighten up a bit

B.M.
09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
It was a harmless prank and a good one to. Some people are just too pc and need to lighten up a bit

Dead right Prefect. :thumbs:

If somebody had taken their own life after every prank I’ve been involved in I’d be on the Funeral Directors pay roll.

Regretfully, for me, the sods responded in kind and so did I. :D

But it’s good to see the [edited] PC Brigade sweating over a Media Beat-up. :lol:

Maybe they should focus on saving Kate. After all she did have her tits displayed on the front page of international news papers which must have been a far more harrowing experience than answering the phone to a couple of pranksters.

And I think she should have a Minder and a Shrink just in case. ;)

plod
09-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Maybe they should focus on saving Kate. After all she did have her tits displayed on the front page of international news papers which must have been a far more harrowing experience than answering the phone to a couple of pranksters.

And I think she should have a Minder and a Shrink just in case. ;)and nice tits they are

Zara Baxter
09-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Jen let you know very gently that name calling is unwelcome. That goes for everyone.

prefect
09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
and nice tits they are
Yes quite nice

B.M.
09-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Jen let you know very gently that name calling is unwelcome. That goes for everyone.

What name calling?

There wasn't any.

Twelvevolts
10-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm always amazed at the mentality that makes someone on the other side of the world responsible for a suicide. Talk tonight of a criminal prosecution is ridiculous, are they going to prosecute every DJ who ever made a prank call.

There is only one person responsible for this suicide - that person is now dead.

Trev
10-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Have you ever been in a situation of contemplating suicide ? Probably the answer to that question is no. So if you haven't shut up. I have been there.
:)

pcuser42
10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Talk tonight of a criminal prosecution is ridiculous, are they going to prosecute every DJ who ever made a prank call.

As I understand it the prosecution was not related to the suicide, but rather the airing of an identifiable person('s voice) without their permission.

B.M.
10-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Radio Announcers have been pulling hoax’s for as long as I can remember. I clearly remember trying to get a day off school in 1949 when Phil Shone had a swarm of wasps turn Auckland into chaos. (My mother insisted the Wasps were at Papatoetoe not Belmont so off you go.) Every telephone exchange crashed under the load and the Police had to run to the 1ZB studio and tell him to call it off. As I recall he landed the damn Wasps on the Station Managers house.

Bit about it:

"The Wasps are Coming, The Wasps are Coming!". The announcement came over 1ZB from Breakfast Session announcer, Phil Shone on 1 April 1949 that a swarm of wasps one mile wide had been sighted at Papatoetoe moving towards Auckland city. He kept listeners informed about the extraordinary invasion. Housewives heeded advice on anti-wasp precautions - until Phil Shone gently reminded everyone what day it was. Aucklanders remembered (too late) that they’d been caught on April Fools Day before. Only one man failed to see the funny side - the Minister of broadcasting himself and Phil Shone was reprimanded.

From HERE (http://www.ohinemuri.org.nz/journal/24/looking_back_local_radio.htm)

Then there was Kevin Black who was continuously playing jokes right up to his retirement.

As I’ve said before, I’m afraid I haven’t a lot of sympathy for anyone who commits suicide over a prank telephone call that had no malicious intent. :groan:

Trev
10-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes and we know that you are all heart as will.

B.M.
11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Yes and we know that you are all heart as will.

As long as I’m all heart I won’t need a will. :D

Sanco
11-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Sad story but let's put this into perspective for a minute.

Jacintha's reasons for taking her own life may be many. May have been clinically depressed and overworked. Goodness only knows what was going on in her private life.

Maybe Jacintha could not stand the fact the very sacred people she was supposed to protect, whom never thought of showing their superior intellectual status in protecting the privacy of this naive lady, scolded her and allowed for her name to be made public, with all the relative repercussion from the British people wanting a pound of her flesh...

Maybe not, maybe was all the aussie dj's fault. After all who are they?

Twelvevolts
12-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Have you ever been in a situation of contemplating suicide ? Probably the answer to that question is no. So if you haven't shut up. I have been there.
:) I was contemplating suicide after reading your post - but then I worked out that I didn't need to burden myself with other peoples stupidity. But you'd agree if I had done it then it would have been all your fault.

prefect
12-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I was contemplating suicide after reading your post - but then I worked out that I didn't need to burden myself with other peoples stupidity. But you'd agree if I had done it then it would have been all your fault.
lol :)

prefect
13-12-2012, 02:34 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/8068301/Shadbolts-hoax-caller-goes-on-leave
Tim the mayor got hoaxed called. some lady fair put the boot in. Does not look like Tim is going to top himself though, If he did I guess the media will start up a hate program for the Environment Southland lady.

B.M.
13-12-2012, 06:32 PM

lordnoddy
14-12-2012, 09:12 AM

LOVE IT!!!

paulw
24-12-2012, 07:10 PM
According to tonites TV news this nurse has tried to kill herself several times before so all this indignation about the Ozzy radio station causing her death has been debunked. I see the pommy police are still looking at laying charges against the Ozzy radio station but I think after this revelation that any attempt to prosecute them would not go down well over there..

B.M.
29-12-2012, 11:31 AM
According to tonites TV news this nurse has tried to kill herself several times before so all this indignation about the Ozzy radio station causing her death has been debunked. I see the pommy police are still looking at laying charges against the Ozzy radio station but I think after this revelation that any attempt to prosecute them would not go down well over there..

Your dead right Paul.

The Tabloids have sucked in the touchy, feely, bleeding hearts, big time and I recon there are, or at least should be, a few very red faces around here too.

But what I’d like to know is why the “Oh so Righteous Hospital” had a Nurse with such a mental history looking after anyone, let alone Royalty?

Strikes me that the two Aussie DJ pranksters had little or nothing to do with the nurses demise given she had tried to take her own life at least twice previously.

I expect there will be a number of resignations in the Hospital Hierarchy for allowing a mentally ill person to care for patients. :rolleyes:

WalOne
29-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Well put, BM.

Cicero
29-12-2012, 12:45 PM
If one is depressed, one could probably do without a couple of Oz gits aggravating the condition.

prefect
29-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Its not the aussies fault the nurse was depressed. She should have pulled herself together.

Cicero
29-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Its not the aussies fault the nurse was depressed. She should have pulled herself together.

Good to see you understand depression.

Trev
29-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Course he does. Prefect understands everything. Unless you have been there prefect stop making stupid comments. You might want to read this. (http://www.depression.org.nz/?gclid=COaA946qvrQCFQQcpQodejsATw)

WalOne
29-12-2012, 01:38 PM
In defence of prefect, surely a qualified nurse albeit presumably not specifically trained, would recognise the symptoms and in her work environment there would be ample opportunity to ask for - and get - help.

I guess we'll never know though. It may be the nurse was terrified of admitting her problem - of admitting inadequacy or failure.

Rationally, the prank should have been dismissed as just that, as did Prince Charles initially. I hope the pranksters are receiving qualified help meantime.

And yes, I've been there.

prefect
29-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I am very sorry but I dont go along with all the new age thinking on depression.

Paul.Cov
29-12-2012, 02:05 PM
The original issues still exists, of the "DJ's" (short for Dumb Jerks?) providing a flase identity, impersonating a monach no less, and extracting private personal information, and broadcasting that information worldwide.

How their lawyers could ever sign off approval on this is mind boggling. Probably a good sign they need better lawyers, as well as better ethics.

Cicero
29-12-2012, 02:47 PM
I am very sorry but I dont go along with all the new age thinking on depression.

Have a read, you might learn something.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro98/202s98-paper3/Miller3.html

mzee
29-12-2012, 11:35 PM
The whole thing is ridiculous! If the Nurse was depressed or of unsound mind, why was she at work? Why was the hospital employing people that are not well? No confidential information was given, the whole world knew why the Princess was in Hospital. The Queen does not have an Australian accent, and would not use a phone anyway, she would have been kept fully informed. Maybe, if the nurse wasn't an Indian she would have understood the difference between an 'Ozzy' and a 'Pom'! You can't blame the idiots who pulled the prank. If anyone was to blame it would have been the Hospital administration, the nurses work mates and family for not supporting her and getting her treatment.

CliveM
30-12-2012, 08:45 AM
The whole thing is ridiculous! If the Nurse was depressed or of unsound mind, why was she at work? Why was the hospital employing people that are not well? No confidential information was given, the whole world knew why the Princess was in Hospital. The Queen does not have an Australian accent, and would not use a phone anyway, she would have been kept fully informed. Maybe, if the nurse wasn't an Indian she would have understood the difference between an 'Ozzy' and a 'Pom'! You can't blame the idiots who pulled the prank. If anyone was to blame it would have been the Hospital administration, the nurses work mates and family for not supporting her and getting her treatment.

+1

Well said mzee

prefect
30-12-2012, 08:55 AM
+1

Well said mzee
+1

Cicero
30-12-2012, 09:09 AM
+1

paulw
30-12-2012, 05:15 PM
+1

+1

Trev
30-12-2012, 09:41 PM
+1 - 2 x3 =

pcuser42
31-12-2012, 09:45 AM
+1 - 2 x3 =

-5. :)

Gobe1
31-12-2012, 10:03 AM

i get -4....

Nick G
31-12-2012, 10:08 AM
+1......=.....-4 :lol:

dugimodo
31-12-2012, 03:07 PM
i get -4....

How?

1- (2x3) = -5 multiplication is done first (remember BoDMAS from school?)

(1-2) x 3= -3 - it's incorrect but an understandable error

Unless it was just a joke of course.

Gobe1
31-12-2012, 03:16 PM
forget my bad

Cicero
31-12-2012, 05:04 PM
forget my bad

As usual I am right.