PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Hard Drive on Laptop @ Oct magazine

shakoni
06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I have downloaded Clonezilla to a DVD and unzipped it to the same location. I haven't been able to work out how to boot the DVD from the two options to the boot screen. Running MS Vista. Have tried hitting F1, F2, and F3 upon starting the laptop. Thanks

SolMiester
06-12-2012, 01:03 PM
First off, Clonzilla has to be written to a bootable DVD, not just copied to it.....2nd, what make of laptop, the function keys to get the boot menu is different depending on manufacturer....

shakoni
06-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I copied the programme to the DVD and unzipped it as it was a zipped file. How do you write a programme to a DVD and what is the difference? My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-CR23G/W.

SolMiester
06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
To creeate a bootable DVD\CD, you need proper burning software and you need to tick the option to create bootable along with whatever program you have, unless the downloaded file is an ISO or image of a bootable DVD.....regarding boot up, there will be a key to press when you first turn on the laptop that will give you boot menu...

Download the ISO file, not the zip...
http://clonezilla.org/downloads/stable/iso-zip-files.php
then you burning software to write a disc using the ISO, that will create bootable disc for you!

shakoni
06-12-2012, 03:32 PM
With the burning software - which one would you recommend as cnet is suggesting the imgburn software is suspect. Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Well I wouldnt get anything off the cnet, or download.com site. They repackage installs with their own crap. Which includes malware

shakoni
06-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks the the thumbs down for cnet. Where should one go then? And what burner is worthy? Ta

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Go to the imgburn site, and download it. I've never used Imgburn tho. I've only used cdburnerxp. Or Poweriso (but this isnt free).

shakoni
06-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Running vista. I went to the imgburn website but got confused and found the cnet site easier on the eye. Will go back to the imgburn site and download directly. Ta

wainuitech
06-12-2012, 03:48 PM
If you want an easy to use, and almost idiot proof ISO burner use http://www.freeisoburner.com/ (http://www.freeisoburner.com/) It doesn't install, its stand alone.

When you click on the download link it will automatically take you to the download page and auto download.

Simply double click it, under "open" navigate to your ISO file, click Burn and as long as theres a CD/DVD in the drive sit back and watch it do its thing.

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Well you can get whatever off the cnet site. Just make sure whatever you get doesnt have the word "cnet" in it. Otherwise you'll install malware as well

Filehippo will probably have everything on it (www.filehippo.com)

shakoni
06-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Think I know how I ended up at cnet. Clonezilla site is also hard on the eye and confusing. cnet is the second donkey on the rank. And the link on the magazine story didn't work. cnet has a nice friendly logo and look, easy to use too. No reason to trust it though. Ta

wainuitech
06-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Go back to post #10, I linked a much easier one there

shakoni
06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks wainuitech. Free iso burner is easy as and idiot proof.

wainuitech
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
:D

shakoni
06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Just did a reboot with the clonezilla bootable dvd in the drive - and it boots automatically, and whats more windows still works. All I got to do now is work out what hdd can fit (and be fully compatible) in my Sony Vaio VGN-CR23G/W (120GB SATA 5400rpm, 2MB Cache) and where to buy it - any help would be welcomed. Think I might cough up for an external enclosure too.
Would the following be a winner?
Seagate 500GB Momentus 2.5" SATA 7200.4 16MB
Model: ST9500423AS
Approx $110
It has "G-Force Protection™ technology can protect your data even if you drop your laptop" - postie proof!

Agent_24
07-12-2012, 01:56 PM
It has "G-Force Protection™ technology can protect your data even if you drop your laptop" - postie proof!

That only works when the drive is powered up - basically it detects via an accelerometer if the drive is falling through the air and parks the heads so when it hits the ground they don't smack into the platters or such.

The drive will still be vulnerable to other forms of damage from getting jolted. If you want something that can withstand more knocks, get an SSD. However they are quite a bit more expensive.