PDA

View Full Version : Win 8 problem

bk T
06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I was watching a video streaming and suddenly everything stops working, mouse/KB all not responding and loud noise from the speakers.

Had to do a hard reset the computer and restart Win 8.

wainuitech
06-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Go to the right, open the charms menu, search, type in Reliability Monitor There will be 1 object under the Settings, click that then on the screen, click on View Reliability History.

When it loads, look for errors in the graph, if theres one when the PC froze, click it and below should give details as to what happened -- What if anything does it say ( complete message if you can post one back) or even a screen shot of it.

bk T
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
There's only one says that Windows was not properly shut down.

Doesn't really indicate anything usefull.

Agent_24
06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Might not be a problem with Windows 8, could be a hardware fault with your machine.

bk T
06-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Might not be a problem with Windows 8, could be a hardware fault with your machine.

No. Don't think so. Just that Win 8 doesn't like my hardware. Googled and found that there are quite a few similar cases. It's Win 8 - Vista (or even Win ME) the second problem.

Never had any issue at all with Win 7.

Lawrence
06-12-2012, 06:28 PM
You don't have on board nvidia do you?,seen there has been problems with drivers under Win 8

The Error Guy
06-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a BSOD where the screen stayed active or other kernel panic. Win8 + 7 have a feature to recover from Gfx driver failures and once in 8 and a few times (probably 3 in it's lifetime) my PC has stopped responding and instead of a successful transition (screen flashing a few times) the picture froze. In windows it was an error in the recovery that cased the pic to hang. In win8 it actually freezes the frame when switching GPU's and recovering from GPU timeouts so that there is no screen flash (or a reduced one) To me it sounds like you had a GPU timeout followed by a BSOD/Kernel panic. The frame hung and then the panic caused the last 30ms of buffered sound to repeated (if you have ever had a BSOD whilst playing music :yuck:)

Anyway, that's my 2c and I'm fairly certain thats how win8 recovers from GPU timeouts, at least that's how I interpreted it.

wainuitech
06-12-2012, 08:19 PM
The freezing could be a hardware compatibility problem.

It was meant to be fixed in the RTM. I had the freezing every so often on this PC in the review version.

Found the following article then windows-8-freezing (http://www.notreallycode.com/2012/09/05/im-trying-to-solve-my-windows-8-freezing-issues-1/) Ran the CMD bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes and bingo - no more freezing, in fact performance increased slightly.

The freezing did happen MANY times more when using Chrome.

Its worth a try, as the article mentions it could be a CPU / W8 issue.

bk T
06-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't have luck with Win8. My first tried on another PC which Win 8 doesn't like the DVD drive (couldn't find the driver for the DVD drive !!!!?????) and now in my main PC, Win 8 doesn't like the USB2 ports which causes intermittent problems with the keyboard and mouse after I installed update KB2756872. I've then uninstalled this update and and the USB2 ports look OK so far.

Anyway, this 'cheap' (<$20) OS doesn't live up to my expection, not at all. Don't really know how long can I hang on to this Win 8 ?????

Win 7 is the best OS Microsoft ever developed - so little issues with this OS from the very first day - even those 'little issues' were solved fairly easily. Whereas with Win 8, if it likes your PC, you are OK but, if it doesn't like your PC, that's it - no solutions. Can't imagine it even has driver issues with a simple DVD drive! Luckily, it's only $20.00!

Agent_24
06-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't have luck with Win8. My first tried on another PC which Win 8 doesn't like the DVD drive (couldn't find the driver for the DVD drive !!!!?????) Can't imagine it even has driver issues with a simple DVD drive! Luckily, it's only $20.00!

The DVD drive or the Storage controller the drive is connected to? There should be no issue with the drive itself unless yours is some really oddball one that really doesn't work with the generic driver.

bk T
06-12-2012, 11:59 PM
It's win8 issue. Just a common Asus DVD drive about <2 years old.

Well, just another Vista 2 with silly metro but without the Start button.

Expect end-users to memorise those short cut keys to access those common features, silly them!

Win 7 is still a better OS.