PDA

View Full Version : Pentium 4 - Mouse won't work

Trevornchris
05-12-2012, 10:26 PM
I have just fired up a Pentium 4 computer for the first time since the lights went out on Feb 22. 2011 - I only had 10 mins to play, but although the Windows XP Pro start screen came up (stating "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to start") and there was a mouse pointer showing, I could not get any response from the mouse (USB).
I tried another couple (all USB) but all the same. Pressing Ctrl-Alt Del or any other keys on the keyboard, also was ignored.
Entering the boot screen I can get response to the keyboard e.g. up/down arrows but I'm out of my depth there!
I have a Linux rescue USB stick which I could take to work tomorrow, and boot from that, but I wouldn't know what to do from there anyway...!

Could anyone give me a clue as to where to start tomorrow pse???

zqwerty
06-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Try a PS2 Mouse to get yourself going then plug in usb mouse as well, using PS2 Mouse go to Device Manager and try "Scan for Hardware Changes" then try usb Mouse.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=ps2+mouse&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

inphinity
06-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Did you give it a few minutes to detect the hardware? Were any of the indicator lights on the keyboard on (numlock etc)? Does the mouse have any visual indicator when it's on, if so, was it?