PDA

View Full Version : WD HDD

bk T
05-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I have got this 1TB green WD hdd which has some bad sectors when I run the WD Data lifeguard utility. Using the WD Data Lifeguard utility I tried to write zero to it but it got stuck after about 5 minutes of running. Does it mean that this drive is failing?

Any other third party utility can repair the disk?

wainuitech
05-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Dont muck about with it , If it has bad sectors its a warranty job.

WD greens have 2 year warranties, so if it was brought within this time period Bad Sectors constitute a warranty claim. Save any data on it to another place before it gets any worse and do a claim.

Edited: some software claims to repair bad sectors, but from experience they never do, they just mask the fault, sooner than later it will fail even more.

bk T
05-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Checked that it's out of warranty.

wainuitech
05-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Bugger - :(

One program that says it repairs bad sectors is HDD Regenerator http://www.dposoft.net/#b_hddhid The demo version ( From memory) lets you scan and repair 1 sector at a time per scan. ( read the More Info - all of it esp nearer the bottom)

Actually brought it several years ago.

I have used it to try and repair HDD's that have failed sectors, mainly to try and recover any usable data when windows or even Linux live CD's cant see the drives normally (does work to a degree, but the drives still fail afterwards- experience there ;) ).

This program will show you just how bad the drive is (or isn't) BUT I wouldn't trust any drive thats failing, no matter what program is run through it. A 1TB scan will take overnight or longer depending on how bad the drive is.

One drive I had, 500GB took 3.5 DAYS ( stopped it after 300GB) - but did get some data back that otherwise would have been lost.

bk T
05-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Not going to spend hours on it.

E-waste probably is the home for this WD Green!

I've no luck with WD, really.

Thanks, anyway.

lakewoodlady
05-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh dear.... just bought a WD Elements 500 MB ext hdd, have backed up to it fine, no worries. Hope it was a good choice?

LL

bk T
05-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Eveybody's luck is different, hope WD likes you! :)

Agent_24
07-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I have got this 1TB green WD hdd which has some bad sectors when I run the WD Data lifeguard utility. Using the WD Data Lifeguard utility I tried to write zero to it but it got stuck after about 5 minutes of running. Does it mean that this drive is failing?

Any other third party utility can repair the disk?

Bad sectors are not repairable, they constitute physical damage\degradation. You can possibly recover data with programs like Wainuitech mentioned but the only "repair" available is for the drive to reallocate them.

Drives with many reallocated sectors usually totally fail shortly afterwards though.

Stick it on TradeMe for $1 or dump it.