PDA

View Full Version : Recommended modem/router for noisy ADSL

05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi there. My street is plagued with bad phone lines. After heavy rain the phone line sometimes gets audibly noisey, with resulting DSL dropoffs.
Just something Ive learnt to live with, most of the time its OK.

Whats the recommended modem router for intermittently noisey ph lines ??
Something with wifi & 4 network ports (dont really need Gigabit)
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Tell whoever looks after the phone lines to fix it. You pay to use them, so they should be in working condition

05-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Tell whoever looks after the phone lines to fix it. You pay to use them, so they should be in working condition

Last time the chorus Tech was around, he said he was very familiar with our road (having been there so often)
Problem is, the issue is intermittent & will probhably never be permanently fixed . Im guessing all the water/drainage issues will
be causing problems.

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2012, 11:08 AM
I doubt any modem / router would fix noisy lines. Theyre pretty sensitive. If its a water drainage prob, I would ring the council, and tell them to fix it

05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Let me re-phrase the question...

Which routers are the least susceptible to poor DSL lines
I remember some models being mentioned a while back.

bk T
05-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Find out the root of your problem and get ti fixed.

As speedy mentioned above, I doubt that there is any modem or router would fix your line problem, no matter how good/or expensive they are.

Get you service provider to fix the line problem. End of story.

inphinity
05-12-2012, 05:02 PM
If you can hear the noise on the phone, few routers will cope at all. Some of the more aggressive-syncing ones, like those from Asus, may hold the connection longer - but will also likely take longer to reconnect once they do drop out. Sound like your lines are screwed and need some serious repairs. This should be fixed.

dugimodo
06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
It might be possible to improve things with a better router but mostly it's a waste of money. Sounds like water is getting into the cable which means there's a good chance it will keep getting worse.

Keep reporting it, eventually they'll fix it. Try reporting the noisy phone as a fault if you haven't

Chilling_Silence
06-12-2012, 02:12 PM
^^ yeah that's good advice. Don't just report it as a fault with your DSL, but if you ring the Telecom Lines Fault Helpdesk, see how you go with that. I did that back in the day and it got things done the next afternoon as opposed to battling with Chorus techs going "Well we can see you're online now, we dunno what the problem is!?!"...

06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
It might be possible to improve things with a better router but mostly it's a waste of money. Sounds like water is getting into the cable which means there's a good chance it will keep getting worse.

I may try an Asus then, I need to buy a wifi router anyway.

The ph line issue will never be permanently solved (it is intermittent, not constant, sometimes after heavy winter rain )
Unfortunately just too much groundwater/runoff where I live (Ak Nth shore), to the extent that me & my neighbor dug open drains on our sections. It will never be fixed unless I can convince the council to dig up & re-drain the whole suburb & go to every house to check that roof water is not just going into soakholes (ie running down to the next section) .

I ring chorus, they fix the issue, untill next time. Allways a next time. (or find that the issue has fixed itself when they get there on the weekend)

pctek
06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Complain about the phone.

http://www.telecom.co.nz/helpandsupport/helpandsupport/other/makeacomplaint/

http://www.telecom.co.nz/helpandsupport/helpandsupport/other/termsandconditions/complaintspolicy/

dugimodo
06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
They run cables through swampland, they can deal with a bit of ground water. A cable in good condition is waterproof. These types of fault can be very difficult to locate and fix, but it can be done.

If you stop complaining they will stop trying and so you are right it might never be fixed. I've reported faults in the past as the servicemen was driving out the gate after signing it off as fixed. My line is great.

Agent_24
06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
These types of fault can be very difficult to locate and fix.

Exactly why the ISPs don't want to spend money on trying.

Chilling_Silence
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
You can always escalate it to the TDR if you get ongoing issues without resolve

Agent_24
06-12-2012, 08:42 PM
You can always escalate it to the TDR if you get ongoing issues without resolve

That would have been useful for me a couple years ago.. don't think it existed then though!

Does it actually work?

Chilling_Silence
06-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Yup :) Speaking from experience.