PDA

View Full Version : Android apps, wher to find add free apps ??

03-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Hi there.
Where can I find add free, hidden-add-on free , freeware android apps ??

Any easy way to tell if an app will install adverts & other unwanted guff ? ?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
A few things come to mind:
1) Check out the likes of androidpolice.com, as they do weekly roundups of new apps and things that are good
2) You can grab this App to help you find what apps you've currently got installed collect info and display Ads: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.addetector
3) try the Play Store under "Free Apps", as the top 100 are usually pretty good :)

The Error Guy
03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
I have had a few bad experiences lately (a noteable one being 3D bus parking) where the app would add a few shortcuts to my homescreen and spam notifications to find "hot sexy singles in my area" as a professional 3D bus parker taking up such offers was out of the question and I uninstalled the app (this missus was not impressed, it was one of the few games she could beat me at ;) but I don't like spam)

Ad blockers are good, when I was at school the overly censored internet was actually useful because it blocked all the ads, now I'm home I find Adblockers more useful (I uninstalled them previously because they weren't actually doing anything. The problem isn't the ads, it's how they are applied which is the problem, very distracting from the task at hand. Follow chills advice, it's pretty sound.

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Also, if your Android phone is running 4.1-Jellybean or newer, you can long-press on one of those rogue notifications and tap the Info button to see the culprit app and hide all future notifications from the "spammy" app.

The Error Guy
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
You learn every day :rolleyes: Never knew that!

I'm going to hide notifications from messenger now :devil:

tmrafi
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
If you can root your phone or is rooted already, you can install Adaway (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adaway), it blocks almost all the ads.