PDA

View Full Version : Pocket WiFi Pro

swazi
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi

I picked up a prepaid Pocket WiFi Pro from Vodafone Australia for use on a trip there recently. Does anyone know if will (or if I can make it) work with a Vodafone NZ sim if I get one?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I believe so, based on the frequencies it supports stated here: http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/wireless-internet/mobile-broadband/wireless-modems/pocket-wifi

swazi
04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks Chill

I have tried it out and it picks up service ok but the device is locked, I guess in the same way phones are/were locked to specific carriers. Any suggestions as to how to unlock it?

Edit: Actually probably I should google this myself first to try and answer my own questions... Will let you know how I get on.

Slankydudl
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Im sure there are perfectly legitimate means to make this device function how you want it to.

swazi
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Im sure there are perfectly legitimate means to make this device function how you want it to.

I don't think there is anything 'illegitimate' about unlocking this device by any means. I can either pay Vodafone Australia $75, pay one of many NZ businesses or online providers who offer unlocking services, or try and figure it out myself.

Nick G
04-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't think there is anything 'illegitimate' about unlocking this device by any means. I can either pay Vodafone Australia $75, pay one of many NZ businesses or online providers who offer unlocking services, or try and figure it out myself.
Exactly. Its perfectly legal. If you happen to live in Christchurch, there is a place in Riccarton Mall which charges about $20 to unlock devices. There must be places like that in Auckland etc as well.

Slankydudl
04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I never said illegal did I, no i said legitimate.

I have three questions:
1. Why are they locked in the first place if they dont care about you unlocking it
2. Why if there is a place in christchuch that does it, means that it is legitimate. Just because places do it doesnt mean that it isnt voiding some contract, regardless as to wether the company actuly cares.
3. And why is your warrantie void on almost every phone when you do it.

Perhaps it is different with this device? I simply do not know. If you do know than I would appreciate it.