PDA

View Full Version : amd athlon 64x2 dual core processor 6000+3.01 GHz so slow?

micky
03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I have an old amd athlon 64x2 dual core processor 6000+3.01 GHz 448MB RAM Windows XP and its very slow when turned on I had to do a scan with Microsoft Essentials and install MS updates and it takes for ever I have left it on as its downloading updates 48% will let that run and see how it behaves is the whole MS updates slow things up on this machine? I think the PC was designed for Vista but was crawling along so I installed XP instead.

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
448mb isnt a lot of memory. Put more ram in it. It was probably crawling with Vista, because of the lack of ram

inphinity
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
stuff-all RAM and probably an old, slow hard drive.

CYaBro
03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Also how much free space have you got on your hard drive?
May need to free up some space and also do a decent defrag with Defraggler or MyDefrag.

Agent_24
03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
450MB is bugger all RAM, even for XP, especially if you have a bunch of things installed.

Could be the hard drive is dying though, if it's getting many bad sectors you will notice a serious performance hit and things taking a long time to do anything while the drive tries to handle the bad sectors and recover them.

Get something like SpeedFan installed, check the HDDs SMART data and see if it reports and problems.

You might also have an overheating issue, check your CPU heatsink isn't stuffed full of dust. Again, SpeedFan will help you find the CPU temperature.

dugimodo
03-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Yeah what they all said +1

How do you get 448MB? is it 512 with 64 used by onboard graphics or do you have 256 + 128 + 64 in 3 sticks or something like that?
Check what your motherboard supports and get 2GB of RAM would be my suggestion, 4GB would be even better.

That processor is quite old but still fast enough for most things and is not your main problem.

micky
19-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi can anyone tell me what ram I need currently have this installed and I need a matching pair to install?

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2012, 02:22 PM
To be honest it's best if you go here:
http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx
Click on "System Scanner" and run the tool
It'll tell you what kind you need to buy along with the maximum amount your PC can handle!

19-12-2012, 03:36 PM
it could be too much is happening just after you turn it on, AV scans, Windows updates etc etc
Automatic Windows updates can cause older PC's to crawl while they are being downloaded & installed

- set Windows update to notify only . Install them at the end of the day
- disable Windows defender (if applicable)
- disable any automatic/scheduled virus scans, run the scan manually at the end of the week. Leave the AV enabled though
- run msconfig & disable any programs that you dont need to be continously on
- could be simply in need of a Windows reload

Or just turn it on, walk away & come back in 5 minutes after Windows has settled down.

Slankydudl
19-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Can you give us the exact type of motherboard you have?