PDA

View Full Version : Win XP not starting

lakewoodlady
03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi,
A friend took their computer into a tech place for them to look at because Windows XP would not start . It got as far as POST but then would not load Windows. She has been quoted around $1100 for them to replace the mobo. I told her that the old PC was not worth it and would be throwing good money after bad. It is about six years old at least.

Surely there is some other alternative, I find it hard to believe that it could be a mobo problem. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

LL

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Does it have a speaker in it?? If it does does it beep more than once?? I would open the case if its a desktop and see if its dusty / if there are any loose cables. So what does it do after the post screen? Try to load XP / nothing at all?

wainuitech
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
A motherboard fault can stop the PC from booting as you described.

But that price looks like a whole new setup, a replacement motherboard, if one was available wouldn't be anywhere near that price, and that could be the problem, being the age that it is the board / CPU Socket may be obsolete and other hardware has to be changed as well ( CPU, RAM even the HDD & PSU).

A new board, depending on what it is, could easily be picked up ( if available ) for low - mid 100's + labour and possible reinstall, that $1100 price quoted sounds rather high.

lakewoodlady
03-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Does it have a speaker in it?? If it does does it beep more than once?? I would open the case if its a desktop and see if its dusty / if there are any loose cables. So what does it do after the post screen? Try to load XP / nothing at all?

It gives a normal one short beep, then says Windows is starting up and nothing happens, no green bars going across at all. I had the side off the other day, looks pretty clean inside. It was going just fine last week, then on Thursday it suddenly went kaput.

@ Wainuitech, I told my friend that is too much to pay for what the computer is worth. She'd be better off getting a new one, maybe a laptop. In fact I have just heard from someone with one for sale this afternoon. I might get the two of them talking about an arrangement that might suit both parties!

The tech at the place she took it, said the hdd was fine, he only mentioned the new mobo and not any other parts that needed to be replaced. I wonder maybe a second opinion from a different place?

LL

wainuitech
03-12-2012, 06:06 PM
As mentioned earlier, if its Just the motherboard then depending on what sort it is, will depend on if one can be sourced. If one can, then yep, change over the CPU, RAM, and anything else it may have. Keeping in mind it may need a reinstall as the Drivers etc will be all wrong unless it happens to be the same board.

The reason I mentioned the CPU, HDD etc may be changed is if for example the board was a socket 775, they are fast coming obsolete, so a socket 1155 may be brought, BUT a 775 CPU wont fit a 1155 Socket.

Second opinion -- Certainly esp since the quoted price is so high.

From the description, it sounds more like a HDD or System Problem. Of course its sometimes impossible to tell unless teh offending PC is actually in front of you to inspect.

have you tried booting from a Live CD, something like Ubuntu, that bypasses the OS completely. ?

coldot
03-12-2012, 06:07 PM
I looked at one like that last week. Owner had been told mobo was "burnt out". I replaced the hard drive and loaded XP and now it's running fine.
To be fair to service professionals I can understand the high quote as I spent over 8 hours installing and updating XP, finding drivers and various other 'essentials'. I don't charge for my time, I do it for the experience. But why don't they say "it's not practical because it would take me 8 hours and hence cost more than a new one"? It's always worth getting a second opinion.

Nomad
03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Throw in a Linux Live CD - does it work??

If so, then I would pull the HD out and copy the files to your computer burn her a DVD or put on a USB stick.
Format HD and reinstall WinXP for her.

If not I would take the lid off and try to troubleshoot.

You could just spend no more than $300NZ for a new mobo, cpu and ram. Or a laptop like you say.
To me if I had to repair it, I won't even begin. Rather put $300 for a new parts combo with a warranty. They'll likely charge a inspection fee anyway even if you don't go ahead with it.

lakewoodlady
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Will talk to her tonight. I am afraid that all this talk of replacing stuff is driving me nutty. I do not have a linux live cd. I have actually tried loading on a copy of Win XP from a disc I have, but it got so far and then would not load. At the moment the PC in question is still down at the tech place, I guess they are waiting for some kind of direction as to what to go ahead with.
Will keep you posted.

LL

Nomad
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Well at $1100 I would take it back. Could just pop into Hardly Normal tomorrow morning and pick up a new PC or laptop. Cash and carry less $1,100.

linw
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
You can get a damn good laptop for $700 or so. It would beat the pants off the old PC.

pctek
04-12-2012, 06:57 AM
. She has been quoted around $1100 for them to replace the mobo.

LL
What??!!!
Even if it's too old to replace (can't get a compatible one) then it would mean replacing CPU, board and RAM.
And no way would they cost $1100. I'd build an entire PC for that, monitor, KB, mouse, speakers, OS, the lot.

Get her to go elsewhere.

Ron24
05-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Great answers guys, I love to read the help from the experts. I only wish I was about seventy years younger. Ron..