PDA

View Full Version : Just lost all my webiste sign in passwords !

Digby
03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi Guys

I am logged in to quite a few websites and forums etc.

Today I am having to log in again to every one which is a real pain in the a....

I wonder what has caused it?

I just installed an upgrade to my Firefox (17 I believe)

pcuser42
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
My question is why a Firefox upgrade would clear cookies... did you run anything like CCleaner recently?

Digby
03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes I did not think that installing Firefox would remove the cookies.

I ran Ccleaner last week, and I always try to update my keep cookies list.

Tbird650
03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I had this problem recurring again and again. It stopped after I dusted out the graphics card. It seems that overheating may have been the cause. Easy to check with Speccy.

pctek
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
A hot GPU is not going to have an effect on cookies.
It lost them - whether it was CCleaner or the update.

zqwerty
03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
If you have asked Firefox to save your passwords they are still there in a succession of backup folders, the cookies do not matter.

If that is the case that you have asked Firefox to save passwords then report back or Google on how to find them in your profile.

bevy121
03-12-2012, 01:25 PM
If you have asked Firefox to save your passwords they are still there in a succession of backup folders, the cookies do not matter.

If that is the case that you have asked Firefox to save passwords then report back or Google on how to find them in your profile.

If FF 'remembered' the user/pass then as soon as you type the first character, the username will appear, and also the password as soon as the cursor is clicked into the password field.

Agent_24
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
A hot GPU is not going to have an effect on cookies.

Maybe they got overcooked and thrown out :lol:

Trev
03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Guys

I am logged in to quite a few websites and forums etc.

Today I am having to log in again to every one which is a real pain in the a....

I wonder what has caused it?

I just installed an upgrade to my Firefox (17 I believe)

The upgrade deleted your passwords which normally happens.
:)

Agent_24
03-12-2012, 04:02 PM
The upgrade deleted your passwords which normally happens.

I don't ever recall a Firefox upgrade deleting my saved passwords or any other user data before.

It's possible it might have deleted them if it detected there was some corruption or such, but as far as I have seen deleting them is not the normal behaviour of the updater.

Trev
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
When I upgraded from IE9 to IE10 I lost all my saved passwords. Perhaps FF is different.

pcuser42
03-12-2012, 06:07 PM
When I upgraded from IE9 to IE10 I lost all my saved passwords. Perhaps FF is different.

Of course Firefox is different, IE is a black sheep :p

zqwerty
03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
There are multiple copies of passwords in Firefox stored over a month or so.

Try adding your user name then double clicking the password box.