PDA

View Full Version : (Occassional) crash on boot (SUGGESTIONS)

Aporosa
02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, about 6 years old, running XP, scanned daily using AVG which is up to date. Once it's going, this is an awesome machine, running well (in my opinion) because I regularly re-Ghost it. I don't want a new computer coz I love this thing, BUT!!! :wub

Every time I start it (boot it from cold) it snags during the initial boot sequence and stalls, and refuses to finish booting. So I have to hold down the on/off button until the machine switches off, then try and re-boot. It usually starts on the second attempt, then runs fine. But, I have noticed that if I do a re-start (after its been running for a while), it usually 're-starts' fine. Its kind of like, if it's already warm, then it starts ok. I have tried several fault finding procedures but then, I'm a 'boy' at computers, so I'm probably a bit lost.

Can someone please assist? Is there are free downloadable boot analyzer that can tell me if/where the issue is and fix this? Or, do you think my HD is faulty? Or should I simply take it in to the computer doctor and have it looked at?

Your help, as always, is much appreciated, but can you please speak in SIMPLE language, give SIMPLE direction, as I'm computer illiterate.

Cheers, Apo

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2012, 11:44 AM
So its not crashing then?? It doesnt boot into windows sometimes? I would use something better than AVG.

Is it online?? I could check it with teamviewer and see whats in startup etc

Aporosa
02-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Morning Speedy, thanks bro, and yes, I'm online. What do you want me to do?

Aporosa
02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
As in, please send instructions so you can access my machine

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Get teamviewer / install it / run it. (www.teamviewer.com) Leave the install settings on default settings. It'll give you an ID and password. Send the ID and pw it gives you to me in a PM. So, I can log in

Aporosa
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Ok, about to install now. Will let you know when done

Aporosa
02-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Teamviewer installed

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2012, 11:59 AM
k. PM me with the ID and password it gives you