PDA

View Full Version : retrieving wireless password

Foofsmom
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Hi I am BRAND NEW to your forum. I need to find out how I can retrieve my wireless network password so I can change it. I have a netgear wireless router .lt is hooked into my Cyberpower computer. I used to have another computer as well which was why I needed the wireless network. I no longer have that computer and was not smart enough to get the wireless card out of it. We have 2 gaming systems that use the wireless connection. A Wii and a PS3. So I know that it is using the connection. I just want to change my password and username on it. No one has ever come over to use it before so I totally spaced out what it is. I tried the standard 1234 or Admin I've tried admin and it says NO NO NO (really says 404 error) . So is there a way to find out what it is? I tried downloading the wireless key view program but it came up blank it gave me nothing. This time I promise to write down the password if I can even find the original. Or since I don't have the original card does that mean I need to purchase one and a new router? I have one desktop PC and one Laptop and a Wii system and a PS3 system.

Thanks so much

Cindy

stormdragon
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi Cindy welcome to the forums.

Have you tried logging in to the router via username 'admin' and password 'password'?

Foofsmom
01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Oh boy color me stupid. Geez didn't even think of password. Ok so changed password and do I want security options? This is what it says

I hope this is the right link for photobucket.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/Foofsmom/router.jpg

Nick G
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Yes, you want security options. If not, anyone walking by could use your wifi. WPA2 is a very good form of encryption, that's what I'd use.

Foofsmom
01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
would I want the 1. WPA-PSK [TKIP] ; 2. WPA2-PSK [AES] ; 3. WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] ; or the 4. WPA/WPA2 Enterprise . I'm totally clueless as to what all these mean.

If I choose the #2 option it asks me to set up a pass phrase (is that just a password?) .

If I choose the #4 option it says :
Security Options ( WPA/WPA2 Enterprise )
WPA Mode: WPA [TKIP] WPA2 [AES] WPA [TKIP] + WPA2 [AES]
RADIUS server IP Address: . . . do they want MY IP address here ?
RADIUS server Port: What is this?
RADIUS server Shared Secret: is this a password thing too?

Boy things like this show me how little I DO know. All my friends think I"m so smart LOL. See what I hang around with?

Thanks for helping me

Cindy

Nomad
01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
WPA2 is just newer and stronger than WPA itself I think.
Passphrase can be a long password with spaces (hence a phrase) or it can be a short as you want depending how picky the software is.

I think Enterprise is used for big (company) networks like universities and corporates, govt departments. Hence you need the IP address. Every computer in the office building has a IP no. that identifies it on the network. You do as well with WIFI or Network cable at home to get on the Internet. I would just go with option #2.

Agent_24
02-12-2012, 01:14 PM
WPA2-PSK with AES encyption is the most secure for home use. You should try WPA2-PSK with AES first.

WPA with TKIP is slightly less secure, but sometimes you have to use it if not all your devices support AES.

Enterprise is only useful if you have the thing set up in a corporate-style network and actually have a RADIUS server.

And yes, with all the encyption options you need a passphrase\password so that only people who know it can connect to your WiFi. Don't use a horrible password like "12345678" or anything, these are the first ones people will guess if they try breaking in.

JAYMCG
02-12-2012, 06:34 PM
i use WPA2 and the MAC filter, left the username as admin but made my own 8 character password

Foofsmom
02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
AWESOME. Thank you all so much for the help. I truly appreciate it. My new favorite site. PressF1 ♥

Agent_24
02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
In addition to MAC white-listing you can also hide your SSID which means anyone who wants to use your network needs to know both the network name and password to connect.

Unfortunately any advanced user will have software that can find hidden networks (and spoof MAC addresses), so it's not a great deal of use against the determined person, but it helps against the rest.

Slankydudl
02-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Yes but in general its not so much how good your protection is as someone determined can get through but for the rest just having a password eliminates accessibility. May be good to note that these determined people are few and chances of them caring about your home network is small

Foofsmom
03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Yes I agree it is kind of like a locked car. If a thief wants it they are gonna get it however they have to do it. Thanks folks