PDA

View Full Version : Win 8 desktop

bk T
29-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Is there a way to load Windows 8 straight to the desktop without installing 3rd party program?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2012, 08:02 PM
I believe you can do it with a registry change. I simply press the WinKey when it boots...

bk T
29-11-2012, 08:14 PM
At which stage when it boots?

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2012, 08:47 PM
As soon as I've hit Enter to type my password :)

wainuitech
29-11-2012, 10:32 PM
There is a reg hack that works, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogin

Edit the Shell key so it reads explorer.exe /select,explorer.exe

As shown in this article boot-windows-8-to-desktop-instead-of-start-screen (http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/boot-windows-8-to-desktop-instead-of-start-screen/)

BUT there is a negative side effect, it DOES take longer to boot. ( this PC took double the time)

bk T
29-11-2012, 11:13 PM
If it's takes longer time to boot, then, no.

Thanks, anyway.

CYaBro
29-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Move the Desktop tile to the very top left then as soon as you see the tiles just hit Enter.
That's what I do.

bk T
29-11-2012, 11:28 PM
That's brilliant, CYBro!

The Error Guy
29-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Since the start tiles operate like the start menu pressing the windows key switches between the currently active app and the start screen so as soon as you get to the desktop pressing start will hide start screen and jump to the desktop. I dunno if it's possible but IMO start button switching between desktop/start screen with long press/tripple press etc switching recent apps would be nicer. Still win8 aint all that bad.

CYaBro
29-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I believe you can do it with a registry change. I simply press the WinKey when it boots...

As soon as I've hit Enter to type my password :)

You sure that's correct?
When you first log in the Desktop isn't actually running so pressing the windows key does nothing until you've run the desktop tile.
That's what happens on all the Win8 machines I've used anyway.

It works of course if you are logging back in when the machine has just been locked after you've been using it but not when logging into a machine that has just booted up or if you actually logged out.

bk T
30-11-2012, 08:48 AM
... Still win8 aint all that bad.

Agree with you to certain degree. It certainly loads faster than Win 7, for sure. If MS can bring back the Start button it will be great.

It needs to use the short-cut keys to access quite a few features, otherwise, it requires 'more clicks' than Win7 in order to access those features. I'll be happy to keep Win8 if the 'Start Button' is back; and, if my USB port problem is solved, or else, I lose 4 x USB2 ports on my main machine. I uninstalled Windows Update KB2756872 and it seems to be working fine, so far - yet to be monitored. though. But, to what extent will it affect my machine without this 'High Security Update', I don't really know.

linw
30-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Never understood why boot ups cause so much angst. Mine always starts in desktop mode 'cos I just sleep it. QED.

KarameaDave
30-11-2012, 09:54 AM
QED.
Sorry man, but what did you prove to us?
Which did you mean? Quod erat demonstrandum (signals the end of a proof)
or quite easily done (a meaning I was unaware of until 5 minutes ago)
Just being pedantic on a Friday morning. :D

zqwerty
30-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Quod erat demonstrandum = That which was to have been shown.

KarameaDave
30-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Precisely.

linw
30-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Admittedly, a very loose and imprecise use of the acronym! Maybe Quite easily done would suit:)

cowboy stu
02-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I deactivated password entry and it goes straight to desktop after welcome ... don't know why or how but happy with that.
have installed classicshell to give some 7 features back

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
There's nothing wrong with programs like Classic shell. Its not like you'll see them annoying you with messages or popups every time you get into Windows 8. At least you get a start menu. And the option to kill the metro screen. And boot straight to the desktop. The lock screen and the login screen, were more annoying for me than the metro screen!

Good thing, both have been fixed now !

bk T
02-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Speedy, did you experience any 'side effects' after installing Classic shell? Which ver are you using?

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2012, 11:39 AM
3.6.2 is the latest version. Nope haven't had any issues with it. It takes me straight to the desktop. Now, that I've disabled the lock screen and put my password in for the login screen. Saves me having to do it every time I boot into Win8

3.6.1 a few times hung on the metro screen. 3.6.2 is meant to make it boot faster to the desktop, and skip the metro screen faster. And it fixes a few bugs 3.6.1 had