PDA

View Full Version : cordless mouse battery lifespan? options?

sooby
29-11-2012, 02:27 PM
hi guys,

Work upgraded to new computers and received cordless mouse / keyboards. Only downside is the battery lifespan in the mouse doesn't seem to last much more than a month - even with lithium 'long-life' batteries!

Mouse model is A4tech G9-600, and is otherwise a fantastic mouse. Have read user guide & it did mention a few ways battery life would be increased:
-if the mousepad reflective surface was a light colour, (shame my kensington gel support mousepad is black then!)
-adjusting the sleep & wake settings (done).

As there are a handful of us running these cordless mice the battery cost is standing to add up FAST! Before going back to corded mice, are there any other batteries worth trying, rechargeable etc?

cheers

Nick G
29-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Don't know about the batteries, but my cordless mouse is still on its first battery, and its been in for a good 6 months. So you could just have got a model which chews throught the power.

sooby
29-11-2012, 02:44 PM
sorry, should also have said these mice are used 8 hours a day with a high click rate (CAD)

Nick G
29-11-2012, 02:46 PM
sorry, should also have said these mice are used 8 hours a day with a high click rate (CAD)
Well, if you're using a lot of batteries, and you don't *nned* a cordless mouse, maybe the old wired ones would be best.

dugimodo
29-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Low self discharge NiMh batteries like the sanyo eneloops are the way to go. Despite the slightly lower capacity than the normal NiMh type they last much longer in most applications and a mouse is a perfect example. If there are a few of you one or two extra sets and a decent smart charger should mean there are always charged batteries on hand.

I think A4-tech is a pretty cheap brand, a better quality mouse might have worked out cheaper in the long run. I have a cheap Logitech mouse and keyboard set and the mouse lasts a little longer than what you mention - probably 6-8 weeks on NiMh. As a bonus it has an off switch for when not in use.

My preference though if money didn't come into it would be for one of the models with a docking station/ charger that you park your mouse on when not in use.

inphinity
29-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Get less crappy mice, honestly.

sooby
29-11-2012, 03:06 PM
interesting comments, thanks guys

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah I've got the Logitech G700 mouse, fantastic all around! Battery for me is used at least 8 hours a day, and I use it a *lot* during that time, and only have to recharge it once a week.

It also comes with a cable that you can use to recharge the single AA battery it takes (Included with it), so you don't have to keep popping in new batteries. Relatively cheap mouse all things considered, but I'm a HUGE fan of it :)

The programmable buttons are a big bonus too!

gary67
29-11-2012, 08:21 PM
I had a MS6000 notebook mouse that I loved for it's small size the battery lasted 6 months of daily use 3-4 hours a day. When it finally died I changed to a Logitech M325 also due to its small size and its great gets used slightly less bu the battery has been in 4 months so far but I do turn it off with the switch when not in use such as when I'm asleep or at work

Paul.Cov
29-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I've got a cheapie Logitech KB / Mouse combo, and they're working fine off NiMH rechargables, although unreliable beyond a metre through the desk.

Agreed the dark mousepad could be forcing it to work at a greater intensity.

The other trap is a surface that's too shiney, which can give false signals and disturb the mouse from it's sleep mode even when unattended overnight.
Personally, I flick the switch on mine whenever I shut down the computer.

As for a mousepad, I've used an a4 envelope for the past 2 years as a mousing surface. It looks worse for wear, but is a great mousing surface, and I do a lot of FPS gaming. It also gets the wrist into a healthier position without the height of a traditional mouse pad. This envelope has helped my RSI heaps!

But if you're one of these people who believes you need to pay extra for a good mousepad, then may I suggest a postage paid envelope instead? :)