PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus + Wi Fi

ManUFan
29-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi all

We have just got Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus phones at work.

Having some issues accessing the internet via Wi Fi router.
Can connect to the wireless router ok via Wi Fi. Have set up proxy and port.

Got the same configuration router + proxy + port on our iPAds which connect
and can browse the internet fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? Some additional settings on the phone?

One of the guys took his phone home and could connect and use his Wi Fi just fine.

Can't really go into any detail about our network setup - don't know all the details.

Thanks

Profix
29-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Is the proxy essential? Does the internet work without configuring the proxy? Try changing the DNS settings on the phone to Google's DNS ip's; 8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8

The Error Guy
29-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Use proxydroid https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.proxydroid&hl=en to configure the proxy, I use it here and it's great. Much more configurable (can set up rules etc) and easy to manage. It also automatically authenticates sessions if you have proxy authentication!

One thing I recommend is rooting the device to give proxydroid iptables support so that all apps and system services will be transparently proxied, makes everything run so much better.

ManUFan
29-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Use proxydroid https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.proxydroid&hl=en to configure the proxy, I use it here and it's great. Much more configurable (can set up rules etc) and easy to manage. It also automatically authenticates sessions if you have proxy authentication!

One thing I recommend is rooting the device to give proxydroid iptables support so that all apps and system services will be transparently proxied, makes everything run so much better.

I can't root the phone (not mine - belongs to work). Is this necessary for this app to work?

The Error Guy
29-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Not necessary but it would add a lot of extra functionality. Do your IT dept specifically tell you not to root it? If not you might as well ask, or ask one of them to do it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself (or if they don't want to risk you doing it).

Alex B
29-11-2012, 08:27 PM
You don't root something you don't own. Even if you did if your work uses a MDM you may find all of a sudden you can't connect to your corporate network.

The Error Guy
29-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Just wondering, some corporate are very lenient on what they allow users to do with company property. Others are much more strict.