PDA

View Full Version : Dust filter

Slankydudl
28-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I was wondering if any of you know good materials or perhaps manufacturers that make dust filtering material just for pc fans, I have used alot of different things in the past but they have all had drawbacks.

My current pc case has air filters made out of what seems a thin nylon thread mesh, which is great at collecting dust and doesnt restrict airflow much. Any leads. Oh an im not looking for those lamo cablamo magnetic dust filter things, just the material.

zqwerty
28-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Do you know anyone who has a D.V.S. installed in their house?

If so, they have large filter bags which are replaced each year, they are never very dirty and could easily be cut up and washed to do what you require.

Also inside Heat Pumps there are the type of materials which you mentioned which are changed every year, you could grab some old ones, wash them, and cut to size.

Terry Porritt
28-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Filters and meshes certainly do reduce PC fan flow, very roughly at least in the ratio of the 'open area' of the mesh to the full area. For example, if the holes in the filter or mesh have a total area of one half of the filter area, the flow rate will be at least halved.

IMO, it is probably better to maximise flow rate and clean out the system more frequently.

Disco_Dan
28-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Go to local supermarket. Find the vacuum cleaner bag section. Look for the filters. Sells in sheets - you cut to size. Only a few dollars.

I have a large external HDD bank with several fans - works great with the filters.

zqwerty
28-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Good idea, Disco_Dan.

Slankydudl
29-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Ty ill look at that, and my case has good airflow so it shouldn't matter too much.