PDA

View Full Version : Internet Speeds

stratex5
28-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi Guys :)

Our home broad band wont go faster than 6Mbps and is on average 2Mbps. I have called Telecom a few times this month but with no success. They have done line tests which show that my speeds should be going 15 - 18Mbps. Do you think it istime to go to Chorus?

Slankydudl
28-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Perhaps new modem/router is needed? Or was it previously faster?

stratex5
28-11-2012, 04:57 PM
We tested a different modem/router. It was a Cisco. It went slower than the stock Thompson one.

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Tried another filter??

stratex5
28-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Nope, ill try that when I get back home. Do you really think that a filter could change the speeds? But ill report back later.

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2012, 05:05 PM
i fixed my sisters mate's one in oz. I thought it was infected, it was like downloading at 0.5 a sec lol. And kept cutting me off in teamviewer. So told her to take her PC to my sister's place. The next day it was normal speed (well about the same as what I get here - 1.5-1.6). so, told them to replace the filter . That fixed it. It made a big difference

Chilling_Silence
28-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Check in your router and find the speeds you're actually syncing at. Post your SNR and Attenuation, as well as line sync speeds, and we'll go from there.

stratex5
28-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks Speedy :)

Check in your router and find the speeds you're actually syncing at. Post your SNR and Attenuation, as well as line sync speeds, and we'll go from there.

I would if I could, but I dont know how :D

Could you please tell me/give me links to test these?

psycik
28-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Are you using filters or have a master splitter? Most problems with DSL internet speed relate to below average standard of wiring in the house.

linw
28-11-2012, 09:04 PM
+1.

And you can't contact Chorus. You have to deal with your ISP.

stratex5
28-11-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm using induvidual filters for each phone

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2012, 08:21 AM
You can get that information from your routers WEbGUI. Start there, there is pretty much *zero* point in trying anything else first.

linw
29-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Disconnect everything connected to the telephone line except the modem. This is always the first test procedure. It isolates filters and phones as a cause. And, yes, filters CAN go bad.

A master filter is always the best option but see how you go with nothing else connected.

dugimodo
29-11-2012, 11:37 AM
What Chill said. Under windows 7 your Thomson router should show up under my network places and the user name and password should be admin admin, otherwise browse to 192.168.1.1 in your browser. Somewhere in there is DSL status, post those numbers here.

To explain a little bit there are two speeds to consider here, the connection speed between yourself and the cabinet or exchange and the speed you get from speedtest or similar which is a measure of actual download speed and can be quite different.

Think of the internet as a complex system of roads and highways with various amounts of traffic. You potentially have a good multi-lane highway to your house just for your own private use, but once you hit the cabinet and start heading for your destination you are then driving in traffic and speed becomes variable. The "road" between the cabinet and the internet in general can be anything from a reasonable 2 lane road to a massive optical highway.

To put it another way, the 15M down/.9M down connection speed you might get has to share a connection to the internet with every other broadband customer connected to the same piece of exchange equipment and these can be anywhere from 2Mb to a few Gb shared between all the customers. If you can't get close to your connection speed it's a bottleneck further up the chain somewhere and you can possibly prove this by testing during a quiet time like the early hours of a weekday morning.

stratex5
29-11-2012, 03:58 PM
You can get that information from your routers WEbGUI. Start there, there is pretty much *zero* point in trying anything else first.

Ok, then in what page will it display these stats?

stratex5
29-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Disconnect everything connected to the telephone line except the modem. This is always the first test procedure. It isolates filters and phones as a cause. And, yes, filters CAN go bad.

A master filter is always the best option but see how you go with nothing else connected.

Where do you get master filters from?

stratex5
29-11-2012, 04:03 PM
What Chill said. Under windows 7 your Thomson router should show up under my network places and the user name and password should be admin admin, otherwise browse to 192.168.1.1 in your browser. Somewhere in there is DSL status, post those numbers here.

To explain a little bit there are two speeds to consider here, the connection speed between yourself and the cabinet or exchange and the speed you get from speedtest or similar which is a measure of actual download speed and can be quite different.

Think of the internet as a complex system of roads and highways with various amounts of traffic. You potentially have a good multi-lane highway to your house just for your own private use, but once you hit the cabinet and start heading for your destination you are then driving in traffic and speed becomes variable. The "road" between the cabinet and the internet in general can be anything from a reasonable 2 lane road to a massive optical highway.

To put it another way, the 15M down/.9M down connection speed you might get has to share a connection to the internet with every other broadband customer connected to the same piece of exchange equipment and these can be anywhere from 2Mb to a few Gb shared between all the customers. If you can't get close to your connection speed it's a bottleneck further up the chain somewhere and you can possibly prove this by testing during a quiet time like the early hours of a weekday morning.

Im running windows vista. Would this still apply?

When the telecom guy did a ping to me, he got 15Mbps then i did one to snap net in chch and i got 2Mbps.

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2012, 04:28 PM
It's not a ping he did, but that's not relevant right now, neither is the OS.

Yes, get into the router, find those settings, any advice until you've done that is probably a bit misguided. Dugimodo is pointing you on to the right track ;)

linw
29-11-2012, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=dugimodo;1133331]What Chill said. Under windows 7 your Thomson router should show up under my network places and the user name and password should be admin admin, otherwise browse to 192.168.1.1 in your browser. Somewhere in there is DSL status, post those numbers here.
Snip

The Thomson modem default IP address is 192.168.1.254

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2012, 04:52 PM
The Thomson modem default IP address is 192.168.1.254
Correct.

However, good luck finding that info on those routers, their WebUI is horrible :-/

stratex5
29-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys, i checked under dsl settings but there was no such thing as SNR or Attenuation.

The Error Guy
29-11-2012, 10:39 PM
If I recall the thompson routers require a super user admin account in order to obtain any useful info

dugimodo
30-11-2012, 06:19 AM
It's in there somewhere, I got rid of my thomson so I can't have a look to remind me where. It's under status or something.Iit is a bad GUI to navigate but if you look around you should eventually find it. In any case I'm fairly sure the 15Mbs that they got from their check will be your connection speed - it's a fairly typical one (mine is 16). Speed test usually gives me 8-10 Mbs but I tried it this morning at 6am and got 14. That's because less people are using it this time of day.

linw
30-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Yes, like dugimodo says, that info is there. Look for sub-menus like 'details' in the dsl area.

I dragged out my Thomson but can't say where to find that data as it needs an adsl connection and I am on UFB! Good try, failed!

decibel
30-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys, i checked under dsl settings but there was no such thing as SNR or Attenuation.

I think it is under something like
"Broadband Connection"
DSL Connection"
"Details"