PDA

View Full Version : microsoft money & transfering to microsoft money sunset or alternative?

sooby
28-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Howdy folks!

Our old computer had microsoft money budget software which we found brilliant, sadly the support for that ended last year. We have just recently upgraded to a new computer & are hoping there is a way to transfer the MS money files we have on old PC onto new PC. It'd be great to be able to transfer 6 years of history across if this is achievable!

I've heard that microsoft money sunset allows for a (free?) upgrade from MS money. Am guessing that best way maybe to load MS money on new pc, then upgrade that to microsoft money sunset BUT... will the MS money files be compatible with microsoft money sunset?

Alternatively, has anyone tried importing old MS money files into an alternative program (ideally low-cost)?

Keen to hear from anyone that can help, thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Is MS money still installed?? It looks like Excel can import Money data, if you export it the right way (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279274)

sooby
28-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Is MS money still installed?? It looks like Excel can import Money data, if you export it the right way (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279274)

Yeap, MS money still installed, will give exporting it a go.

As always Speedy there is no problem you can't advise on, thank you very much!

Notice you're in Taupo now, how are you finding it after Auckland?

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Sweet no probs :) better in Taupo. Quieter. Dont hear cops whizzing past the gate every 2 mins, no fire engines, no ambulances, no police helicopters lol. Only con is there's bugger all computer shops there to buy parts from

sooby
28-11-2012, 02:21 PM
cool, glad you're liking the change.

I owe you at least a drink or two for all your helpful advice given out over the years - drop me a line when ya want to collect!

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2012, 02:29 PM
And where are you? Doubt that'll I collect since I dont drive

sooby
28-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Richmond Heights.

Taupo is pretty small - bound to bump into each other sooner or later!

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2012, 02:55 PM
hmm ok just checked Google maps, its not that far away..

sooby
28-11-2012, 04:56 PM
hmm ok just checked Google maps, its not that far away..

PM'ed

gary67
28-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Howdy folks!

Our old computer had microsoft money budget software which we found brilliant, sadly the support for that ended last year. We have just recently upgraded to a new computer & are hoping there is a way to transfer the MS money files we have on old PC onto new PC. It'd be great to be able to transfer 6 years of history across if this is achievable!

I've heard that microsoft money sunset allows for a (free?) upgrade from MS money. Am guessing that best way maybe to load MS money on new pc, then upgrade that to microsoft money sunset BUT... will the MS money files be compatible with microsoft money sunset?

Alternatively, has anyone tried importing old MS money files into an alternative program (ideally low-cost)?

Keen to hear from anyone that can help, thanks!

Install the original money program, update it copy your old money file on the old computer to the new computer open money tell it where to find the file away you go. I have done this and know it works. If you don't have the money disc to install it let me know and I can copy mine for you

sooby
30-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Install the original money program, update it copy your old money file on the old computer to the new computer open money tell it where to find the file away you go. I have done this and know it works. If you don't have the money disc to install it let me know and I can copy mine for you

Awesome - thanks for that mate!

CliveM
30-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Install the original money program, update it copy your old money file on the old computer to the new computer open money tell it where to find the file away you go. I have done this and know it works. If you don't have the money disc to install it let me know and I can copy for you

When you reinstall msmoney it wants to go online and update itself. As it is no longer supported so it cannot upgrade. Your old money file is not compatable with the reinstalled ms money progam. Unless your original msmoney install has never been upgraded online your old file will not work on a reinstall.

Chikara
01-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Which current version of MSMoney do you have? I think you need to make sure the Sunset edition you download, matches the right edition. EG - Sunset Deluxe is meant to replace Premium, Deluxe and Essential editions, while Sunset Home and Business is meant to replace the Home and Business edition (strangely enough!)
I'm not sure if it affects file formats also, or just the features, but just be aware there's two versions.

I would think the best way would be to install the existing version of Money on your new PC, ensure your money data files are opened and associated with it, and then install the sunset edition - it will then uninstall the old version and do everything for you. I'm pretty sure this is what I did a few years ago, and it worked fine for me.

The sunset edition is not too bad, I do miss the ability to have online updates for exchange rates and shares, but apart from that is meets my needs. One minor frustration is some of the links within the program, link to web pages (eg when you click 'Investing', rather than take you to your own investment summary, it tries to display a MSN Money webpage - that now shows page not found. So I now have to navigate to my investment list from teh home page, left hand side link to portfolio manager instead. But 95% of the same functionality is there still.

gary67
02-12-2012, 08:14 AM
When you reinstall msmoney it wants to go online and update itself. As it is no longer supported so it cannot upgrade. Your old money file is not compatable with the reinstalled ms money progam. Unless your original msmoney install has never been upgraded online your old file will not work on a reinstall.
I had to reinstall earlier this year and it still updated although I have Money 05 I think