PDA

View Full Version : Hot CPU

lostsoul62
27-11-2012, 02:30 PM
My CPU is an Intel E6550 Quad 2.3 Gig and over 4 years old. I tighten the CPU because it went to 90C and was shutting down and after I tighten down the heat sink it went to 80C and stay but now it's back up to 86C and it shut down once. So I'm going to the store tomorrow and buy some stuff and re-paste the heat sink but I thought I would also buy a liquid cooler. Now if my CPU craps out on me after all that I'm thinking of buying an AMD FX 8350 and overclock it a little and put the liquid cooler on it so it will have a use in case I have to build a new computer. I like to hear what other people think of my ideas, so please let me know, Thanks.
PS: I'm thinking of the Antec Liquid CPU Kuhler 920 for a hundred bucks, why take chances.

icow
27-11-2012, 02:57 PM
You don't need a liquid cooler to be running at temperatures lower than 86C. The standard cooler should see you well below 50. Just reapply the thermal paste, make sure you clean all the old stuff off and attach the heatsink properly and you should be fine. Check the fan still spins well and make sure the cooler isnt clogged with dust.

Slankydudl
27-11-2012, 03:01 PM
yeah those temps are a bit crazy and the fact that tightening it makes it better would suggest that the thermal paste is not applied properly.

lostsoul62
27-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes, I think I'll re do with thermal paste and maybe a good air cooler because a liquid cooler does sound like a pain.

The Error Guy
27-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Before you get a new cooler grab a decent tube of paste and some paste cleaner. Get that CPU block cleaned off and reapply (not too much!!) Arctic Silver was good brand a while back, not sure if it's still reputable.

Only then if the temps are high would I consider a better cooler although If it's been fine for 4 years there's no reason for it to be a hot sumbitch now!

Paul.Cov
27-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Thermal paste does dry out over time, plus the OP indicates a preference for overclocking, which is just begging for heat issues.

Naturally the hotter the block, the faster the paste will dry out.

It's been said that even toothpaste functions ok thermally. The difference between toothpaste, marmite and a decent thermal paste being the time it takes for the stuff to dry out and lose it's thermal properties.

Slankydudl
28-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Technically liquid metal would work the best considering most thermal pastes have roughly only 10% the efficiency of copper. Get some mercury bro.

The Error Guy
28-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Perhaps that what he meant by liquid cooling :D

dugimodo
29-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I like the Kuhler range of coolers I've used one myself, makes for a tidy build and looks good. However cooling wise they are about as good as an average mid range air cooler unless you go for the huge radiator with dual 12cm fans. I'd say save yourself some money and get the cooler master Hyper 212 evo but it might actually not be good enough if you do end up getting an AMD FX heat pump.

you mention tightening the cooler? how? What kind of cooler do you have now?

The standard Intel cool has 4 push pins and is either on properly or not, there's no way to tighten it. It is however not difficult to have one of the 4 pins not in properly and not notice, they have to be clicked down on opposite sides first or the last one often won't engage without extreme force. If you use the standard cooler when you take it off look at the four legs and make sure the white bit in the middle is pulled all the way down out of the black sleeve before trying to reinstall it. Sometimes they stay up in there and then wont click in.

pctek
30-11-2012, 11:15 AM
you mention tightening the cooler? how? What kind of cooler do you have now?

The standard Intel cool has 4 push pins and is either on properly or not, there's no way to tighten it. .
+1

I received one last year that had a shut down - overheat problem.
When questioning the person who amended it, he said he'd drilled a hole through the cooler to help.
In fact he'd manage to break off one of the push pins completely as well, and had removed the CPU at some point, then re-inserted it rotated 90 degrees. Naturally it didn't fit, so he'd mashed it down too.

Slankydudl
30-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Wow, pays to google something before you start dis assembling, drilling and then re assembling it.

Agent_24
01-12-2012, 09:33 PM
+1

I received one last year that had a shut down - overheat problem.
When questioning the person who amended it, he said he'd drilled a hole through the cooler to help.
In fact he'd manage to break off one of the push pins completely as well, and had removed the CPU at some point, then re-inserted it rotated 90 degrees. Naturally it didn't fit, so he'd mashed it down too.

These people shouldn't be allowed to own a computer!