PDA

View Full Version : NB6Plus4Wn router

Arnie
27-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi

Been going well for a couple of years Transfield did some work on the Line up our ROW (1km) so I switched off. Switched on after work was done and unable to get a PPP connection. Contacted T/Clear and went thru the reinstall system, still no PPP. Swapped router to a D-Link (telecom) one lying around and immediate connection, although its drops out a fair bit which is the reason I purchased the NetComm from Chills recommendation. Any ideas or is it as T/Clear suggests it may be had it?:badpc:

CliveM
27-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Have you tried a complete factory reset?
If after that and reinputing your recommended setings from T/clear it still does not work I would tend to believe it has died.

Arnie
27-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Thank You CliveM been there done that, and all settings were checked by T/Clear (got thru quickly and good service as well). Looks like an Asus N12U coming up.:groan::groan:

Profix
27-11-2012, 09:39 AM
What are your line attenuation and noise margins like?

Arnie
27-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi Profix

LA Down 40 Up 18 Noise 12.5 both ways. Same on both Routers

Profix
27-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Your line attenuation downstream is a bit high. Has it always been like that? Do you know what transfield were doing?

Chilling_Silence
27-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah 40 is a bit on the high side, how far are you from the Exchange / Cabinet?

Something *may* have happened to fry it, but as mentioned they're usually incredibly solid devices. How old is it now?

Going the N12U path is good, they've been pretty solid in my experience :)

Arnie
27-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Transfield installed a line to a new block in our ROW there are now around 5 up here. We are 1km from the road and another couple to the exchange, not sure about any local cabinets, there is one around 1 km from exchange, but I think it is serving the lower end of Wakefield where they are installing fibre etc. We are rural, had no real problems until now. The Router is about 2 years old perhaps a little more.

bk T
27-11-2012, 11:55 AM
About line attenuation, how do I check it?

I'm using a DrayTek Vigor 120, and just went in it's config page but couldn't find any thing.

Cheers

dugimodo
27-11-2012, 12:08 PM
The connection speed and/or attenuation can give you a rough Idea of distance, 40dB would equate to around 3km on standard cable and should get around 6-8Mb downstream connection speed. Based on that I don't think you are connected to any cabinets but directly back to the exchange. It's strange that the router has apparently failed but unless someone accidentally sent some high voltages your way the cable work is unlikely to have caused that.

Turn it off, unplug it completely from the wall and the phone line, wait 5 minutes and put it all back. If it still gets no PPP it's one of a few things;
1. the router has gone faulty
2. the router and exchange card are not compatible (unlikely)
3. A setting you have missed is somehow wrong - maybe compare it to the D-link and see if anything is obviously different
4. there could maybe still be a cable fault, but unlikely as you seem to connect ok.

There have been some problems with routers after a change in exchange card type, but if that was the case your ISP should be aware of it and I've not heard the NB6plus4Wn mentioned with regards to this. It might be worth checking the age of your router and how long a warranty it has, maybe they'll replace it.

When things do fail it is quite common for them to do so after being turned off for the first time in a while, electronics often function ok when powered on despite actually having faults that have developed over time. Even the best quality gear sometimes fails.

Edit: To ask the possibly obvious, if your ISP requires you to use a user name and Password to connect are you sure it's set correctly? That'll prevent PPP

Profix
27-11-2012, 12:09 PM
@bk T - Usually under DSL line status.

@Arnie - Could be your line. How long ago were transfield doing work and do you know if they're finished? Although, your rural location could explain for your high attenuation.

bk T
27-11-2012, 12:20 PM
@bk T - Usually under DSL line status.

Found it, I think :

is this Loop Att.? my reading is 16 and SNR Margin: 12.

Acceptable range?

Arnie
27-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks Dugimodo,

Yes tried all of the above, all relevant settings are the same as the D-Link, so looks like a failure. Thanks everyone for your help Cheers:thanks:thanks

jupiter1
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Arnie, not sure if this will help you with your problem or not....
I have a NB6plus4 asdl+2 router. I am on hwy 6 60 meters past Baigent Vly rd.

I am on Inspier.net and have had no problems to date.

Can't help you with settings as most of which you mention is gibberish to me.

541 8901

Arnie
04-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Arnie, not sure if this will help you with your problem or not....
I have a NB6plus4 asdl+2 router. I am on hwy 6 60 meters past Baigent Vly rd.

I am on Inspier.net and have had no problems to date.

Can't help you with settings as most of which you mention is gibberish to me.

Borrowed a couple of other routers and all connect OK so looks like mine is stuffed. Cheers