PDA

View Full Version : help with old EA game - FireFight

donutguy640
26-11-2012, 05:01 PM
I recently found Firefight online, an old favorite of mine, bought it, played through several of the missions, and come back the next day to find myself at square one (and again each time I complete a mission and exit the game, reboot or no)

in my search for a fix, I found this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?67639-help-with-old-PC-game-please), detailing the exact same problem...among the replies, it offers a link to a 1.2 patch which seems to be a dead link now (quite understandably, since it's six years old!)

also, this was quoted, but I'm unfamiliar with regedit, or how to follow the last sentence of the quote

Fire Fight does not install any files on your computer. What it does install are registry entries. (To access these, enter "regedit" from the Start->Run menu.) They should be hiding inside HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> chaos works -> Fire Fight. There you'll see each player profile's selected key bindings and mission progress (in hex code) for each difficulty level, among other things. If you can't save your game, check to see if you're logging on as the same user and that Fire Fight is allowed to make automatic registry changes.

my Google search for "EA Firefight patch" (and refinements) were fruitless

any help is appreciated! thank you

icow
26-11-2012, 08:33 PM
http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/fire-fight-12-iso-xp-compatible/

Seeing as you own the game I see no problem in downloading a copy that will work from an online source. I can vouch for the legitimacy of the site too, I use it to get various old games which aren't for sale anywhere (not even gog.com :(, I notice Fire Fight isn't on gog.com either) and games that rarely show up for sale on sites like trademe. From memory you need to signup to the site to have access to the download links. Hope this helped :)

Mods: If you don't like the link please remove it.

pctek
27-11-2012, 10:13 AM
It tells you how to edit the registry:

enter "regedit" from the Start->Run menu

Then navigate toe HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> chaos works -> Fire Fight.

Then:
There you'll see each player profile's selected key bindings and mission progress (in hex code) for each difficulty level, among other things. If you can't save your game, check to see if you're logging on as the same user and that Fire Fight is allowed to make automatic registry changes.

That bit could be a bit tricky unless you can find something on what the values should be.

I'd look for something about Save, or Save Position or something along those lines, Value of 1 not 0.
0 - off, 1 - on

I'd also see if there is anything (on the PC as well as in registry about auto registry editing....whats the help say? Have you got a help file?

donutguy640
11-12-2012, 10:16 AM
lost the bookmark a day or two after I saw your reply O_o AUGH! lol...

anyway, there are no help files on the CD, but I found the registry folder you mentioned, and subfolders called eem, PLAYER:default, players, sos, and spr

the registry entries under the default player folder include (type first, for readability):
(REG_BINARY) BPL
(REG_DWORD) current set
(REG_BINARY) easy
(REG_DWORD) enhanced kbd
(REG_BINARY) game info
(REG_SZ) skill level

there are entries in other folders like use CD, retries, net mode (REG_SZ, value of "client")...game, game id, game info, joy dead zone (what the?)...

also, my knowledge of registry editing is little more than this - I know I can really mess stuff up with it! I have no idea what half this stuff even means, let alone what needs changed or how

I wonder though, now that I look at it...can I really do any damage, as long as I stay within the Firefight folder, and document all my changes?