PDA

View Full Version : Google Dictionary Reset?

SurferJoe46
26-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Is there some way to reset the Google dictionary - I imagine it resides in my puter somewhere.

I'm getting the suffixes underscored with red which usually indicates that it see a bad spelling - but that's just wrong.

I get things like this all the time::: association - where the underscore is red & squiggly.

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Is this in Chrome or Firefox?

SurferJoe46
26-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Firefox - but I thought it would carry over globally to Chrome too. Not using Xhrome at the moment - don't really want it again if I can stay away from it.

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2012, 01:35 PM
1. Open your application data folder. On XP or Vista, go to your Start menu and hit Run (or just press Windows-R) and paste in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
2. Find your profile folder, which by default should look something like xxxxxxxx.default
3. Inside your profile folder, find the file called persdict.dat, this is your dictionary file

You can then either open it in Notepad / Wordpad and edit it manually, or to clear the dictionary entirely just delete the file and restart Firefox :)

It shouldn't be sync'd between Chrome / Firefox, it should be independent.

SurferJoe46
26-11-2012, 01:37 PM
OK - going there to do it.

Thanks.

SurferJoe46
26-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Ewwww. It only had 5 words in it - technical words from building bass guitars - that's all. This is a fairly new installation of XP-Pro on a puter that I put together out of scraps and pieces.

Ever try to find NEW IDE drives?

I still get the suffixes of words underscored with the squiggle red lines.

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Add them to the dictionary ? Alternatively download the US version vs the UK version?

SurferJoe46
26-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I was gonna try that - but then the spell check is kinda worthless.

I've got the US (authentic) version of English installed. The Prez would be proud.

Seriously - it's just each and every suffix - so if I 'allow' them - then the possibility of a word like " antediluvian' with it's underscored 'ian' would be allowed and then the 'antedilu' goes into the long-y --- which even an Aussie knows is wrong.

I suspect there's no answer to this problem - and I've been doing some serious Googling over it too.

Suffixes which offend the Google Spell Checker:::

ian ie: 'avian'
ion ie: 'fusion'
ism ie: 'Darwinism' (don't ask)
ose ie: 'verbose'
ase ie: 'grease'
ing ie: 'going'
ong ie: 'song' (yeah - really!)
rty ie: 'property'

So as you can see it's all messed up.

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2012, 02:35 PM
It's the presidents way of convincing you to download the UK version and speak *real* English ;-)

mikebartnz
26-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Ewwww. It only had 5 words in it - technical words from building bass guitars - that's all. This is a fairly new installation of XP-Pro on a puter that I put together out of scraps and pieces.

Ever try to find NEW IDE drives?

I still get the suffixes of words underscored with the squiggle red lines.
When it comes across a word it doesn't like but you know is, just click the button to add it to the dictionary.

SurferJoe46
26-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah - I do that all the time - especially when I coin my own words (prolly, youse, Upsidedown Land, etc.) but as this is a new installation - less than five days old, I was kinda miffed at it not having drawn from MY cloud to find my instances of arcane spelling and additions.

I've clicked on the suffix to allow it, and then the front half of the word goes bogus!

So-o-o - that means that the dictionary is NOT global, at least NOT living in my or anyone else's in the cloud.

I know that misspelled words are one thing, and learned extra-coinage by the author (me) is another thing all together.

I'm just upset that I cannot somehow ditch the whole library and let it rebuild without telling me that I've incorrectly used a defective suffix which is actually a part of a whole and legal word.

I cannot see why this abnormality/anomaly has happened - after all: it's not like I'm trying to use an L-based system here.

mikebartnz
28-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Yeah - I do that all the time - especially when I coin my own words (prolly, youse, Upsidedown Land, etc.) but as this is a new installation - less than five days old, I was kinda miffed at it not having drawn from MY cloud to find my instances of arcane spelling and additions.

I've clicked on the suffix to allow it, and then the front half of the word goes bogus!

So-o-o - that means that the dictionary is NOT global, at least NOT living in my or anyone else's in the cloud.

I know that misspelled words are one thing, and learned extra-coinage by the author (me) is another thing all together.

I'm just upset that I cannot somehow ditch the whole library and let it rebuild without telling me that I've incorrectly used a defective suffix which is actually a part of a whole and legal word.

I cannot see why this abnormality/anomaly has happened - after all: it's not like I'm trying to use an L-based system here.
You can use the Preferences/Sync to keep it in the cloud.

linw
28-11-2012, 09:18 PM
I had something like this very recently but I can't remember exactly what I was using when it happened! Can't reproduce it now. I know I was peeved that correctly spelled words had partial squiggles under them.