PDA

View Full Version : Startup/install

jontee
25-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi All, just got a new laptop "toshiba satellite pro" have not started the set up yet as I see it has "Nortons Preinstalled"
Question; Will it give me the option during install to NOT install it ? and how can I get rid of the entire thing with out leaving a trace ?? :confused: :thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2012, 07:57 PM
I dont think so it'll install it. Uninstall it after you install Windows, then use the removal tool (https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProf ile_en_us&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=en&ct=us)

jontee
25-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Gee that was quick Speedy, Ta thought there may have been a way to do it with out it getting into the registry and having to get the removal tool. Thanks But seeing you are up and about will explorer 8 be the default browser if I get rid of 8 or10 what ever it has ??

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2012, 08:15 PM
You dont have to go into the registry, the removal tool should remove the rest of it. What version of windows is on it?? If its Windows 8, then IE 10 will be on it. IE is the only browser on it unless you install something else

jontee
25-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Windows 7 all seem to have win9 but with win 10 out now thought it may have had that, so as it will be a update was just going to uninstall it and hope that win 8 was the default as in win 7 will know when I start doing it 2morro
Cheers Thanks

jontee
25-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Opps should not speed read answers it has windows 8 sorry

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2012, 08:32 PM
IE 10 isnt out for Win7 yet, its a preview. But IE10 comes installed with Win8. You cant uninstall IE10, its part of Windows 8. But you can turn it on / off through windows features

jontee
25-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks again once I learn how to turn the thing on and set up you will no doubt here from me again/ "But you can turn it on / off through windows features"/ easy for you guys but for an old man ???? well things take time
Cheers

jontee
26-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Hey sorry guys for bumping this thread but one more question please; When do I write my back up DVDs before or after I get rid of Nortons ???
Please say if I should have started a new thread will know for next time Ta
Cheers and thank you in advance

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Well if you dont want it after

jontee
26-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Thank you Speedy just wanted to make sure. Will now try my luck, finger's X'ed
Cheers.

feersumendjinn
26-11-2012, 11:52 PM
When do I write my back up DVDs before or after I get rid of Nortons ???

If you're talking about making your recovery discs, this operation will include everything in your (hidden) recovery partition including Norton (the initial operating system setup/install comes from there too); if you're talking about a backup of your files/data, this would not include any programs; if you're talking about a full image of your current installation (such as provided by a program like Acronis True Image) then do remove Norton first.