PDA

View Full Version : Been Highjacked by MSN

bluenose
25-11-2012, 07:55 PM
This afternoon I tried to launch PressF1 from Firefoxas usual but finished up with MSN opening page.
Re-boot PC and try again. Same result. Re-boot again as normal but homepage = guess what!
Yep! MSN.

Any Ideas?

Bluenose.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Change the homepage to something else

bluenose
25-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestin Speedy. When I start the PC my Home? Page is a woodland scene with a series of shortcuts on it. When I click on Mozilla Firefox icon MSN opens up. If I click Internet Explorer don't get the usual Google page, instead I get the MSN page. All of the other icons appear to be working properly.

I appreciate what you are saying about change homepage but memory is fading about how to do it and now that neither of my normal choices are working I'm getting very frustrated.

Bluenose.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2012, 08:34 PM
See if MSN is in add/remove programs / programs and features. If it is, uninstall it. You open FF then go to tools/options

bluenose
25-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Checked MSN as you suggested but this is XP (up to date) but couldn't find what I was looking for. Phoned a friend down the road and he guided me in from a different angle and concluded that when I updated Skype earlier today MSN sneaked in and changed some settings. Even the Google homepage was changed to MSN. Now I come in via PCworld/PressF1 homepage.

Thanks for your help Speedy.

wainuitech
25-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Depending on how you updated it,MSN didn't hijack the home page at all , it did exactly what you told it to do ;)

I just tried it and updated Skype Via its own update, it didn't change any home page, still remains the same , Google.

BUT I can tell you what happened, more than likely you didn't untick the box, so it did what it was told to do. (See Picture below, Highlighted)

If you still dont have the home page you want, For IE, open IE, go to the page you want - then click Tools/Internet options, on the general tab, click Use Current, Apply /OK

For FF, same thing, but Tools/Options / General Tab, Use Current, OK.

Slankydudl
25-11-2012, 10:53 PM
They are sneaky buggers all right. When installing anything look for those and uncheck any that you dont want.... Which is most likely allways all of them.

The Error Guy
26-11-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm not a fan of companies that do that, usually you click next and before you realize your mistake the install starts with no option to go back :(

linw
26-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Yea, you certainly have to be super aware when updating or adding stuff. It's a right pain.

How many machines have Chrome installed with their owners not even knowing what it is?!!

mikebartnz
26-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Depending on how you updated it,MSN didn't hijack the home page at all , it did exactly what you told it to do ;)

I just tried it and updated Skype Via its own update, it didn't change any home page, still remains the same , Google.

BUT I can tell you what happened, more than likely you didn't untick the box, so it did what it was told to do. (See Picture below, Highlighted)

If you still dont have the home page you want, For IE, open IE, go to the page you want - then click Tools/Internet options, on the general tab, click Use Current, Apply /OK

For FF, same thing, but Tools/Options / General Tab, Use Current, OK.
Why the hell can't these companies leave them unchecked because this sort of thing causes so much trouble for the unaware.

Slankydudl
26-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Why would they.... They get payed to make it cause trouble for the unaware and people are going to download skype regardless. Ahh the beauty of being a massively popular company with no real competitors.

wainuitech
26-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Considering MS ( MSN) now own Skype, and have done for a while, they are basically only adding in their own " guff" like MSN, Bing etc. But theres the options to not install.

Its simply a case of looking what you click on instead of just going, next, next next etc and always selecting either custom or advanced if its offered.

MANY software vendors do it, they put / Pre-select "Recommended" then you agree to install all sorts of crap, like toolbars, or other programs you dont really want.